advertisement

Favourite High End Headphone Amplifier?

The Trilogy was supposed to be voiced with the 009s in mind. I agree with the above that it tends to thicken the sound and certainly seems to roll off the high frequencies somewhat. It’s certainly a different flavour to the Stax amps but probably not one I can live with. Looks like I’ll need a Mjölnir or BHSE but a bugger if you have to buy blind and a bigger bummer if it goes wrong and needs fixing down the road.

Anyone heard the Auris ha2-se? Seems to getting some great reviews.

After having a trilogy 931 for a few days, I'd definitely say it was thick sounding too, but I'd change that word to "body" and "weight" and fuller sounding. It didn't major on detail, transparency and punch like my Graham Slee solo with Psu1 power supply. At first I thought it sounded slower but after a while I noticed I was just hearing more rounded bass and sub bass.

Last edited:
JTC
I’d say it was the other way round in that the Trilogy was very transparent, verging on bright, which suited the warmer 007’s but tipped the more tippy/transparent 009’s into make your ears bleed territory.

I bought my used Mjolnir mini KGSSHV blind, and the risk paid off. I can't imagine selling it unless I go for the Carbon. I much prefer the KGSSHV to the Stax 006t, though I've not heard the 007t.
JTC - I hope it arrives soon and you love it:)

I hope so! I'll be happy for Pink Fishers to come and hear it if they want a chance to sample a Mjolnir KGSSHV before ordering.

OK, I’ve waited a few days since receiving the new amp before posting, as I wanted to find time to listen across a range of music and form an opinion. Being super-brief, this is a staggeringly good amp. Totally transforms the 007mk1s, which were already very, very good. With the KGSSHV, I’m getting a more or less perfect balance of everything, but with a bass heft and depth that is quite astonishing. If anyone ever says that Stax can’t do deep bass, they just haven’t heard them properly amplified! I’m very, very pleased. I’ve owned and/or listened to a great many different systems over the years, and this is probably the best of the lot. It’s even better than my (admittedly fading) memory of the Sennheiser Orpheus. If there’s a drawback, it’s simply that you do have to take that leap of faith to buy one of these, but believe me, it’s worth it...

Now I just need to move on the 006T, L700s and T1 so that I can refill the bank balance ;)

I haven't demo'd many headphone amps, but from spending a month with the Moon 430HA, SPL Phonitor 2, Schiit Mjolnir 2 and Schiit Jotunheim I ended up with two Schiits. The Mjolnir 2 is tube-hybrid and the Jotunheim is solid-state, and both are high powered, which covers me for a decent range of headphones. The Moon was superb, I especially loved the 0.1dB incremental volume control, but was ultimately way more expensive than I'm comfortable spending on a headphone amp the moment. The Phonitor 2 was very good but I actually didn't hear enough of a difference between it and the Jotunheim to justify the significant price differential. The Mjolnir 2 was the most engaging of all of them.

OK, I’ve waited a few days since receiving the new amp before posting, as I wanted to find time to listen across a range of music and form an opinion. Being super-brief, this is a staggeringly good amp. Totally transforms the 007mk1s, which were already very, very good. With the KGSSHV, I’m getting a more or less perfect balance of everything, but with a bass heft and depth that is quite astonishing. If anyone ever says that Stax can’t do deep bass, they just haven’t heard them properly amplified! I’m very, very pleased. I’ve owned and/or listened to a great many different systems over the years, and this is probably the best of the lot. It’s even better than my (admittedly fading) memory of the Sennheiser Orpheus. If there’s a drawback, it’s simply that you do have to take that leap of faith to buy one of these, but believe me, it’s worth it...

Now I just need to move on the 006T, L700s and T1 so that I can refill the bank balance ;)

Hi John

Glad you finally got the KGSSHV thig resolved and your patience paid off. It's take a wee while for sure. Sounds like you made the right move. Fantastic.

Regards
Mark

Reactions: JTC
JTC
Glad to hear the move was a good one and you’re happy....
I’ve got a nagging feeling that a really good 3rd party amp shows up the fact that the 007’s are actually a better listen than the 009’s....

JTC
Glad to hear the move was a good one and you’re happy....
I’ve got a nagging feeling that a really good 3rd party amp shows up the fact that the 007’s are actually a better listen than the 009’s....
I am delightfully happy with it. My only concern is that I don't have nearly enough time to dedicate to listening to music at home! So, although every time I use it I am amazed at the sound, days can pass between listens.... oh, for more free time :/

advertisement

Back