advertisement

faulty ESL 57 just won

Excellent - congratulations and welcome to the club. Your secret decoder ring is in the post. (Don't forget to play some fast electronica and note the not-smear from your not-cones. Helps with the smugness.)

a while ago I copied this down. Dont remember the site, but here are the codes and dates...

1959 2000 - 4000
1960 4000 - 6000
1961 6000 - 8000
1962 8000 - 10000
1963 10000 - 12000
1964 12000 - 14000
1965 14000 - 16000
1966 16000 - 18000
1967 18000 - 20000
1968 20000 - 22000
1969 22000 - 24000
1970 24000 - 26000
1971 26000 - 28000
1972 28000 - 30000
1973 30000 - 32000
1974 32000 - 35000
1975 35000 - 38500
1976 38500 - 41000
1977 41000 - 44000
1978 44000 - 47400
1979 47400 - 50300
1980 50300 - 52100
1981 52100 - 52800
1982 52800 - 53000
1983 53000 - 53150
1984 53150 -

I remember reading an interview with Walker around the time of the ESL63 introduction, when he assured us that spares for the '57 would be available "...well into the next century."

So in the late 1990s when they reintroduced the limited-edition '57 reissue and used up the supply of spare panels, my blood boiled.

...but the grills are distinctly greasoid in look- sort of dull bronze which the photos turn greyish.

The color of the Bronze panels changed over the years. The early ones were a reddish-bronze, then by the late '60s it was more of a gold tone, the mid-late '70s ones were more of a dark tan.

Hmm Regafan thats interesting then as that makes 12780 a 1964'r & 51286 a 1980'r

I wonder if this means one was fried from the 64 set and when serviced the other 64'r was brought into a new 1980 pair with all new fitments ? the wooden side pieces grills etc all match. Clearly they are identical even the boxes are matched. However I must get to the bottom of any provenance today as the above line of thinking suggests a possible service history

Jonathan hi - oh yes the not smear on those decaying notes is frankly embarassing when I assume that similiar details are also lost throughout the average track. The absence of box is so clear even in the next room - glory be. Truly a speaker to listen to ones collection again. I always missed my last pair but I was skint and Mrs Brian Eno was such a glamorous customer I couldnt help myself. ho hum

The absence of breathtaking sweet spot is the main curiousity for me. Is it the treble panel which does the midrange too or is it handled by the bass panels

Clearly not a speaker for the masses.

Yank - this colour looks like its suitable for a stealth tank on D Day and if it doesnt buff up IT WILL BE SPRAYED - once removed I may pressure wash them to see whats what.
~re your remarks about spares were QUAD not taken over by then - no more innovation but recycling Mr Walkers brilliance and globally rebranding his name as Hi end/ boutique hifi out of the UK and 'empire' pipe and slippers BBC, SME pitch?

Not that I dont love the Quad II mk 2's of course. I didnt know they had reissued the 57's as well.

Regarding any replacement panels it was your US bro. Wayne Picquet who is/was credited with the most 'authentic' panels in the older websites I am trawling thru

Have they both got IEC mains sockets? My guess is the guy had one, and bought another and a full service for the first one from Quad in 1980. Might be worth emailing Quad, they may just have a record. I know they are owned by IAG now, but there seem to be people there who still know what's what.

Tony.

Yes Tony - identical fitments, screws, wear, factory plate - the lot.
I will try and find the right email for service history.

I swithched off the power last night and for some 2 hours played on minus mains input. I had to go to bed eventually but they were still playing on so their charge capability is surely sound enough? I powered them overnight though and not a tizz or a fiz is heard from them this morning. Quieter than my last pair at least with solid state amp.
Am playing the Nak thru them - oh de. ar - dare I say synergy is more evident than the rega cd as a source. The room where I have my deck is full up as I try to reinstall my life and hifi in ...er marital home so I wont get to hear vinyl for a day or two

Cant stop listening to power down and clean. Murray Periha playing Handel and Scarlatti on a posh Sony Classical with a studio production cut on a mirror - it sounded clinical on the Isobariks and mini tannoys, even with the valves behind

but now minus Joes < all to memorably named> smeary theory. I say that - although early drink had been taken- tis heartstopping to hear the thrill and beauty of this recording effortlessly revealed largely because of the nae box situation.

This last remark reminds me I know zero about the trend amongst Point source prists to build open baffle speakers with large Tannoyesque drivers in. Is it to loose smear and boxiness or ...? The way these fill the room with sound is curious - maybe bounced of the rear walls which are the mandatory sort of yard out allowing for inward arc. An omni effect definitely

I used them as per Quad ? Cardas last time ie a third up the room from the corner, not far from side walls and firing down an oblong room. Ignoring solid furniture its more squareish than oblong. So there will be more wall reflections than previously, Perhaps thats why the sweet spot is less obvious - more reflections. Ho hum

After unpicking 20 staples on the grill and the base plate screws this was revealed. Not terrible and no spiders

Dustrevelead1.jpg

After wet wiping surfaces down with microfibre this is what it looked like - the 2 nearest panels are cleaned 3rd one yet to do
2washwiped1togo.jpg

As promised pressure washed the grill heres a before and after pic. However I prefer the older bronze this looks khakiish

Gridpressurewashed.jpg

Heres the only pin hole - Do I tape it ? with thinnest possible ... maybe a tissue paper as its so small

Dust2pinhole.jpg

Rivetting

Riveting.jpg

Listening sans front grills is yes even 'lighter' in touch.

Ah ha - removed back grill now and hoovering the wax block thingy reveals Quad service sticker 5 / 1 / 93 - things are looking up - thats only 16 years ----- !

No sign of delamination inside the panels

OK speaker one reassembled and sounding as though it has more top edge than the other one and all I have done so far is clean. I got right into the speaker terminal too with a dremel fitting - they were very dull and dusty looking - anyway the red light is now on again - which is nice. So a days work and it looks and I believe sounds the better for it. More pics later

Those look in good condition.

Small holes in the bass panel dust covers can be repaired with sticky tape. Just a small piece to cover the hole.

You might not need the staples when re-fitting the covers. On mine the wooden side cheeks clamp the cover pretty tightly.

Using the best Nak andplayinga track from Mingus's New York Sketchbook 1956 tapes I find amuch bigger sweet spot and airy sounds of even greater delicacy than last night

so cleaning seems like a good idea if you have a steady hand. Might be getting interviewed for an Almoner type position so should do some prep to tomorrow but that other speaker is notionally the older one and more muffly one so far .. its calling me.

I'll check for phase when I dig out my test cd.

Today I saw that the staples had been done at least 3 times over the years and that some new screws were mixed in with the original and more tarnished ones

It also has a Quad notice saying it has a clamp fitted- I guess its on a fly board seen in the photos (later)

Those look in good condition.

Small holes in the bass panel dust covers can be repaired with sticky tape. Just a small piece to cover the hole.

You might not need the staples when re-fitting the covers. On mine the wooden side cheeks clamp the cover pretty tightly.

Agreed - I didn't use staples re-assembling mine and they are fine.

I would still rebuild the EHT blocks - they reckon the diodes only last around 14 years; PM me if you want Farnell part numbers for diodes, caps and resistors I used with mine. I would recommend sourcing additional beeswax, as you'll be a little short otherwise when refilling. Just cleaning and doing EHT rebuilds on mine made them incredible!

One of my bass panels has 3 or 4 holes similar to yours, and that speaker is definitely down on bass output a little compared to the other. I also have a small arc burn on the other speaker's treble panel - but treble is fine unless I use volume levels simply not possible with kids in the house, and only then with specific tracks :)

On yours, I would check whether the other speaker has the clamp fitted too - the Quad clamp supposedly affects the sound quality (not heard it myself), and Mr Sheldon recommends a gas discharge device instead. Could be the cause? Otherwise a new bass panel - my logic suggests if doing one you should do all 4, as the coating changes conductivity with age.

My ESLs, even with their slightly uneven bass output, have displaced my SF Concertinos that were in my main system for the last 10 or so years. They simply sound right to my ears.

Richard

Service tag - nice
Servicetag.jpg

Is htis the retro fitted clamp board or ...?
Clampboardisit.jpg

A days work showing one clean and one yet to do

Aftermath1.jpg

Thanks Dowser - the EHT rebuild might be somewhat out of my comfort zone - not the wax removal that sounds fun - its the other side .... or does one just cut tails and tag replacements .... heretical I expect ! However 14 years is clearly up

I order to icrease WAF I must have scrubbed too hard and the diaphragm swelled

IMG_0628.jpg

But clearly they are used as monobloks and these customised Musical Fidelity amps show how advanced 50's design was with volume level 11!

IMG_0629.jpg

But they will Buff up rather well and of course will keep us warm when combined with a Quad 11 ---- !

IMG_0626.jpg

However the wife is not at all sure

advertisement

Back