advertisement

Fat is the new Thin.

My wife is from East Lothian and I have to take a moment to work out what she means when she talks about dinner etc. Apparently dinner is lunch and tea is dinner - unless she remembers she's talking to someone from a civilised part of the country.

Don't get me started on the whole "salt and sauce" thing either. A definite east v west divide there.

The recent (2012) Scottish cup final was called the salt and sauce final because both teams Hibs and Hearts are from the East Coast.

HUNDREDS of Glasgow chip shops are gearing up for their first “salt and sauce” Scottish Cup final.

The historic Hearts v Hibs showdown at Hampden in May has highlighted an important cultural difference between Glasgow and Edinburgh.

While Glaswegians love salt and vinegar, Edinburgh chip lovers swear by salt and special brown sauce.

Being more refined in the West we naturally take the salt and vinegar route to culinary excellence.

Being more refined in the West we naturally take the salt and vinegar route to culinary excellence.

I'm originally from somewhere in the middle but align myself with the west coast for the big stuff like football, and salt and vinegar on fish and chips. Unfortunately my wife and kids were all the product of an East coast upbringing so go with the horrible salt and sauce thing.

I'm originally from somewhere in the middle but align myself with the west coast for the big stuff like football, and salt and vinegar on fish and chips. Unfortunately my wife and kids were all the product of an East coast upbringing so go with the horrible salt and sauce thing.

I'm an existential migrant from Edinburgh who traversed the length M8 for the sake of alleviating a sense of disorientation and confusion in the face of an apparently meaningless or world. However living in Glasgow has made me more confused than ever, but now I don't give a feck anymore.

A fish supper is the Scottish term for fish and chips - and to confuse things further, in some parts of Scotland "supper" means "dinner". In some parts "tea" also means dinner. And in some backwards east coast areas dinner means lunch.
Not just Scotland either. I was completely baffled when I first moved to New Zealand. In the deep south, "tea" is dinner and "dinner" is lunch, but only on sundays.

Fish and chips from the chippie is healthier than 'ready meals' from supermarkets. People eating from a chippie are doing themselves a favour.
In general I'm sceptical. Because the typical chip shop portion is huge, and mostly potatoes, which are bad.

Paul

A fish supper is the Scottish term for fish and chips - and to confuse things further, in some parts of Scotland "supper" means "dinner". In some parts "tea" also means dinner. And in some backwards east coast areas dinner means lunch.

In some parts of the USA, the three meals are Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner; in others it's Breakfast, Dinner and Supper. In Canada they call macaroni & cheese "Kraft Dinner".

It is dispiriting when you see the junk that some people have in their shop trolleys to take home. Some kids think that chicken comes into the world in nugget form.

Strange how the 'autonomous appetite suppression' has only switched off in a big way since the 60s and the arrival of supermarkets and very cheap food.

Funny how some people on here seem to have real difficulty with the phrase 'scientifically proven'.

I totally accept that a lot of people are overweight because they have unhealthy diets.

Why can't you accept that a minority have a physiological problem?

Mull

Funny how some people on here seem to have real difficulty with the phrase 'scientifically proven'.

I totally accept that a lot of people are overweight because they have unhealthy diets.

Why can't you accept that a minority have a physiological problem?

Mull

Strange how the 'autonomous appetite suppression' has only switched off in a big way since the 60s and the arrival of supermarkets and very cheap food.

I totally accept that some people are overweight because they have a physiological problem. Where did I say this was not the case?
`

I very rarely have fish and chips; usually when I'm here on my own and can't be arsed to cook. If left alone for long enough, I'd probably devolve into slob-man, and have massive pizzas delivered to my door every evening because I'd be too idle to walk ten minutes to the chippy. Even then I'd be healthier than someone eating those meals for one from M&S.

Spend a little while looking at the quality of ingredients delivered to the average takeaway, and think again. Better than M&S? Yeah, sure. After all we all know that food factories are not at all policed by M&S or anyone else and takeaways are terrorised by those demons the EHOs, who have a limitless budget and huge powers to improve food quality.

Most takeaway so-called pizzas aren't even made with real cheese. Read the packaging they put out for the bins if you don't believe this. Still, it tastes good so crack on.

I very rarely have fish and chips; usually when I'm here on my own and can't be arsed to cook. If left alone for long enough, I'd probably devolve into slob-man, and have massive pizzas delivered to my door every evening because I'd be too idle to walk ten minutes to the chippy. Even then I'd be healthier than someone eating those meals for one from M&S.

Drivel.

A typical portion of 'chips' in the UK is soggy lukewarm potato soaked in old cooking oil.
A typical 'fish', is some unspecified white fish in an oil soaked coating of flour and water paste.

A typical Pizza is a slab of dough with a thin spread of tomato paste topped with crappy cheese or cheap 'meat products'.

I gave up on regular 'ready meals' years ago, but recently had a couple of Co-op ones. One was a 'Chicken Madras with Rice', the other a 'Chicken and Green Peppers in Black Bean Sauce'.

Both were adequate, but not overly large. Both featured real meat, real veg and real rice. The two together contained less fat than the batter off of one chip chop 'fish'.

We could argue for years re: the 'authenticity' of the sauces, but they were two for a fiver FFS!

You need to update your prejudices. :)

Mull

I have not had fish & chips for quite a while as I know that as soon as I got home I'd be searching for buttered & sliced bread thus allowing me to construct several fish and chip sandwiches. One reason I try not to have bread at home.

Is it really that hard to make a home cooked meal? I only go to the freezer aisle for ice cream and don't own a microwave oven. A few fresh ingredients cooked while catching up on the events of the day beats the chippy or a nuked TV dinner any day.

advertisement

Back