advertisement

Fascinating lecture by Floyd Toole

The M2 eq settings are out there. Peq and xover functions are in the individual LMS output channel sections. Room eq is 9(ish) band peq on the input channels in the outboard BSS LMS/Crown amps option.

Indeed. At one point I did ask Devialet if they could write a custom file for the xover function and EQ - relatively simple but they said they were no longer doing custom work. A shame as I thought the combination would have been very interesting.

Indeed. At one point I did ask Devialet if they could write a custom file for the xover function and EQ - relatively simple but they said they were no longer doing custom work. A shame as I thought the combination would have been very interesting.

Have you tried for the 9800's?

This could have been a classic thread with interesting input from people who know their stuff, but it veered off about page 7 when somebody started banging on about their 80Hz room mode, and how it didn't exist, and then trolling anyone who didn't agree that it didn't exist, or that it did exist.

It would be interesting to go back to that point and continue some of the debates that S-man, Tenson, Werner et al. were engaged in regarding port output, the relationship between transient response and frequency response, and the relative merits of wide dispersion and beaming at high frequencies, and other topics related to the Floyd Toole lecture.

Alternatively we could have another 44 page thread which is a meta-analysis of this thread; a kind of post-mortem, mourning the thread that once was and the thread it might have been.

I think you already know my viewpoint but pages 1-3 and 12 fit in with my viewpoint:

www.bksv.com/doc/17-198.pdf

My experiments lead me to believe that this LF phase shift is very audible and correcting it (or moving it to below the lowest audible frequencies) has a massive benefit for sound quality. It also significantly reduces the subjective problems with room resonances.

This paragraph sums it up succinctly:

"As an example of time-related
phase distortion, consider again the
boom from a kettledrum with all its
different frequencies. The correct
reproduction of such a signal re­
quires that all the spectral compo­
nents in the signal are reproduced
with their correct amplitude and
time relationships."

This could have been a classic thread with interesting input from people who know their stuff, but it veered off about page 7 when somebody started banging on about their 80Hz room mode, and how it didn't exist, and then trolling anyone who didn't agree that it didn't exist, or that it did exist.

If you are referring to me, actually, I wasn't trolling. It still amazes me that people can be so insistent about my room, particularly when they've never been in it!

Still, that's the fun of pfm, and the internet in general. All opinions are valid.

Have you tried for the 9800's?

I thought about it Cooky but sadly Devialet will no longer write custom files. A std xover is of course no problem but any para eq used would need to be added and I wanted to avoid doing that on a computer.

Sounds good enough as it is really and I'm not that critical these days. Hearing is shot.:)

:D

It happened since discovering audio nirvana.

I have fond memories of the system although not in audiophile terms necessarily.

If I remain as non discerning as I am now I might consider a Phantom or two - particularly if a software update adds one or two bands of para eq to remove the most audible room modes.

I think you might have a long wait.

PS that said I am still considering letting go of the D200 and B&W800s and just keeping the Phantoms. The cost/benefit gap is tiny and am not sure I really need such big speakers.

Just found this posted on Lansing.
Of limited interest to some as it lacks magic beans or Higgs field immune quantum packet ionic insulated interconnects but...

Toole_Floyd/Sound_Reproduction-Loudspeakers_and_Rooms.

I'll repost the link if established it's genuinely free to download.

Another recommendation would be the ,'Master Handbook of Acoustics' ,Everest & Pohlmann, goes right back to basics, haven't finished it yet but really interesting,clear and concise.
Keith.

Just found this posted on Lansing.

I'd rather have people buy books like these. Or even better: buy a handful of them and give these to interested friends as present, alongside things like This Is Your Brain On Music and Perfecting Sound Forever ...

I'm sure that should not be uploaded there ;) Please go buy it or such interesting books will not be available in the future.

I have a feeling that his boundary loading using several subs, although it gives more even FR measurements in the room, also fails to address the time domain issues.

I said somewhere I would try F Toole's recommendations for boundary loading. I have now done so and I much prefer my bass drivers to be physically close to the main speakers.
It looks like I prefer less "time smear" to more even amplitude response.

I said somewhere I would try F Toole's recommendations for boundary loading. I have now done so and I much prefer my bass drivers to be physically close to the main speakers.
It looks like I prefer less "time smear" to more even amplitude response.

Me too. I have my subs very close to the main speakers.

IMHO Toole does not pay enough attention to time domain issues and is too focused on Frequency Response.

No. He seems to be focussed on steady state measurements. I also got the impression he was aiming to provide 'good' sound in a wide range of seats for HT.

advertisement

Back