advertisement

Fascinating lecture by Floyd Toole

I can well imagine that listening to Mr. Taylor makes me appreciate listening to all the other albums I have even more.

I haven't watched the video but looked through the last 10-15 pages yesterday afternoon.

Glad I have never had a fear of microphony or even remotely concerned (headphones?)but BE718's work was excellent and his calm logic refreshing.

Thanks to all who took part

Purite Audio no longer represent Trinnov , but their claim isn't so far fetched,you can use the unit to 're-map'the loudspeakers , EQ, and DRC the room even ask the software to move the speakers in space, 3D mapping did sound a bit odd though.
I can see the benefit to an engineer in an unfamiliar studio.

Keith.

Purite Audio no longer represent Trinnov , but their claim isn't so far fetched,you can use the unit to 're-map'the loudspeakers , EQ, and DRC the room even ask the software to move the speakers in space, 3D mapping did sound a bit odd though.

Keith.

I remember one particular engineer in one particular mezzanine studio at Scalford using Trinnov. It made a complete mess of reproduction of musical timing. It was as though the cymbals and high hat were being played to a different score sheet from the rest of the band. An abomination.

This could have been a classic thread with interesting input from people who know their stuff, but it veered off about page 7 when somebody started banging on about their 80Hz room mode, and how it didn't exist, and then trolling anyone who didn't agree that it didn't exist, or that it did exist.

It would be interesting to go back to that point and continue some of the debates that S-man, Tenson, Werner et al. were engaged in regarding port output, the relationship between transient response and frequency response, and the relative merits of wide dispersion and beaming at high frequencies, and other topics related to the Floyd Toole lecture.

Alternatively we could have another 44 page thread which is a meta-analysis of this thread; a kind of post-mortem, mourning the thread that once was and the thread it might have been.

'Sound Reproduction' , Toole's book is well worth reading,and expands on al of the topics mentioned in the lecture.
Keith.

What's quite informative for those without a vested interest is that Harman and Toole have come out with Master Reference monitors like the JBL M2 which is almost entirely DSP driven and is hailed as a revolution by some of the top music producers in the industry.

So we have the likes of Frank Filipetti in one corner and Bub and Mr Toy in the other. One has to ask just where the knowledge lies surely?

The DSP in the JBL system is in the crossover network, correcting driver irregularities. It's not room correction.

And considering the noise that's come out of recording studios over the past 20years, I wouldn't hold up studio practices and preferences as any sort of reference.

The DSP in the JBL system is in the crossover network, correcting driver irregularities. It's not room correction.

And considering the noise that's come out of recording studios over the past 20years, I wouldn't hold up studio practices and preferences as any sort of reference.

I think there is going to be an increasing move to active with DSL xover.

"These unique components make possible a two-
way design that provides an unprecedented level of performance. The single seamless crossover point reduces system complexity and allows a compact form- factor for flexibility of placement in the room.

The M2 is designed to be used along with Crown® I-Tech Power Amplifiers, which have internal BSS® OMNIDRIVE HDTM Digital Signal Processing that is required to provide the electronic crossover functions and room tuning EQ for each speaker. The room EQ allows you to optimize the M2’s performance in any room by minimizing the negative effect of room modes (standing waves).
The M2 brings a world-class, big monitoring experience with a new level of accuracy and detail to a broad range of production spaces.

"These unique components make possible a two-
way design that provides an unprecedented level of performance. The single seamless crossover point reduces system complexity and allows a compact form- factor for flexibility of placement in the room.

The M2 is designed to be used along with Crown® I-Tech Power Amplifiers, which have internal BSS® OMNIDRIVE HDTM Digital Signal Processing that is required to provide the electronic crossover functions and room tuning EQ for each speaker. The room EQ allows you to optimize the M2’s performance in any room by minimizing the negative effect of room modes (standing waves).
The M2 brings a world-class, big monitoring experience with a new level of accuracy and detail to a broad range of production spaces.

Whatever system processing is left in the I-Tech amp after the M2 parameters are loaded could be used for room correction I suppose, but that would be down to the installers to measure and specify. Each bandpass on these amps has a fixed amount of processing - low-pass filter, high-pass filter, and a number of parametric filters, plus time delay. There is also a master filter section that allows further processing to the whole system before the individual band-passes, if the M2 factory parameters don't use this section then they would be available to the end user.

The M2 parameters are probably locked in a "black box", preventing users from altering them.

Keith.

Psst, wanna buy a watch? I are an engineer, I know it says Bolox but with these 3D mapping DSP glasses it will say Rolex honest guv .. and then with this Fourier thingummygig EQ done by real scientists like I can transform time and space such that it will always be ten past two ... honest guv ..

Whatever system processing is left in the I-Tech amp after the M2 parameters are loaded could be used for room correction I suppose, but that would be down to the installers to measure and specify. Each bandpass on these amps has a fixed amount of processing - low-pass filter, high-pass filter, and a number of parametric filters, plus time delay. There is also a master filter section that allows further processing to the whole system before the individual band-passes, if the M2 factory parameters don't use this section then they would be available to the end user.

The M2 parameters are probably locked in a "black box", preventing users from altering them.

The M2 eq settings are out there. Peq and xover functions are in the individual LMS output channel sections. Room eq is 9(ish) band peq on the input channels in the outboard BSS LMS/Crown amps option.

Psst, wanna buy a watch? I are an engineer, I know it says Bolox but with these 3D mapping DSP glasses it will say Rolex honest guv .. and then with this Fourier thingummygig EQ done by real scientists like I can transform time and space such that it will always be ten past two ... honest guv ..

Lolz!

advertisement

Back