advertisement

Farnell customer service

quietmole

Wholly member
Anyone else had recent dealings, positive or not?

I always thought they were fine, but my recent experience has indicated otherwise and I wonder where my custom would be more welcomed.

Been using Farnell, RS and Mouser to name just three for 20 years+ all have provided good service, (if one doesn't have it the other probable has) though are all now suffering with inventory shortages and many items on back order which you cant attribute as their fault.

Mouser us UPS here in the UK which is a three day wait of late, the others normally next working day. There is the min order value to hit the free handling and shipping which has come into play but again thats down to market forces (or is it) and can be excessive at £50 when you only want a few £ worth.

Once I did need to speak to Farnells customer service and found them to be very helpful but that was years ago, things might have changed.

I have (albeit very on/off) similar, but I ordered about 60 quid's worth of stuff on Monday, all showing stocked, nothing random, didn't arrive as promised, came a day later, a (significant) wrong thing delivered, spoke to customer service, supplied photographic evidence as asked. Then all goes hush. So the job is still here on the bench but I can't get on. Very unimpressed atm. I know mistakes happen, but then you usually say 'sorry about that, here's the thing you paid for...' .

This is the modern world. As Weller once sang.

Just bought A$129 of 8-way plugs and sockets from Farnell/Element14. Their CS person was very responsive to my initial query (did they have 8-way plugs & sockets?) and then was able to find my next request (for an 8-way female socket & male plug.

One set was in stock in Oz - so arrived the next day; the other set was US stock - so should arrive next week.

10 out of 10, AFAIAC. 👍

Generally good but did have a problem logging in to my account a few months ago.
A few years ago Farnell sent me an email asking me to open a new account and when I tried to log in a few months ago they had mixed the accounts up and I used their customer services to resolve the problem.
It took a few days but it was resolved.
Cheers Andy.

recently I've done a couple of farnell order which have been no problem with the items but the delivery a day late, that could be the post an my end mind. RS I get more incorrect items, but they tend to sort them easy enough through the online chat. My only real problem was getting someone to understand that ordering 20m of cable a 5m reel end and additional 15m cut length is not really what you want, esp with a 32 way balance audio cable.

Well amongst other things I ordered a 40w iron and they sent a (apparently deliberately) mislabelled 15w instead. After lots of emails and photographic evidence supplied etc etc I have been sent a credit note with no explanation, apology or anything else. They don't appear to have re-ordered for me and if I just order the one item I'll get whacked for a handling charge as well. Pretty shoddy I think.

Managed to get the refund into my account, but still very disappointed with the overall customer service. I haven't used them for a while, but I'm damned sure they used to be a lot better than this or I wouldn't have ever bothered. Shame.

Managed to get the refund into my account, but still very disappointed with the overall customer service. I haven't used them for a while, but I'm damned sure they used to be a lot better than this or I wouldn't have ever bothered. Shame.
TBH RS’s service hasn’t been the same since COVID19 either…..

Regards

Richard

Over the years I've had minor issues with all of the big names - most recently Mouser who were well-intentioned but useless. My time is more precious than £60 of wrongly-described diodes that I'll eventually have a use for, and I do have to remind myself sometimes that "customer service" is usually one clueless YTS kid on minimum wage being shouted-at for 40 hours a week by angry people, so the fact they DGAF is as inevitable as it is understandable.

advertisement

Back