advertisement

FAO dog owners

dan m

pfm Member
This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
From the link: "This compost is NOT intended to be used in the garden. The waste is left in the bucket to break down over time. "

Seems like a waste of time if it's not usable (*) - ISTM better in the household waste if you know it will be incinerated in an energy recovery facility.

(*) I am very proud of myself for not referring to it as "a sh*t idea".

You've a garden, Dan, build a regular compost heap / composter; and just add it to all the other (considerably-larger volume ) of vegetal waste of kitchen & garden. Give it the usu 18months+, shld be fine.

Trad compost heap - worms & sim only work the top 6-10"; anything below that that appears sterile of life, is good to go. Get a 'riddle' (gardening sieve, US) ready for use in c 2yrs time; watch the Roses bloom 3+yrs from now from its lowest layers.

What's wrong with flushing it? Assuming that your only loo isn't upstairs, as far from the back door as possible.

If you have an outdoor drain inspection cover, use that.

I have known one person who tried the composting idea. Please, do not bother, you WILL regret it, even if using any of the treatment concoctions that supposedly speed things along.

Not being able to use any composted turds is down to potential health issues. Sludge from sewage treatment works is used agriculturally. Same principle, but far safer and controlled.

Exciting topic for a Friday night, I know, but what do you do with all the poo?

We have always had a dedicated bin and scooped it up, dumping it in the trash weekly. Now we have moved, we need to order a scooper. How’s this?

But what about burying a bin and trying to compost it rather than sticking it in plastic and sending it to the landfill?
Send it to the poo shake man! 🤢🤮

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
I don a pair of gloves, gather it up in an old saucepan before mowing the lawn and fling it on the compost heap.

We have an old plastic bucket (well tile adhesive bucket to be precise) which all the kitchen vegetable waste, tea bags, coffee grounds etc. go in each day and one of my morning chores is doing "poo patrol" to scoop up any dog poo in the garden on my way up to the compost heap to add the contents to all the other garden waste (dead leaves & grass cutting mainly).
After a few years it's all perfectly useable compost as long as your compost heap's big enough.

Save up the poo bags and make them into a lovely art installation

53650495546_e2ca2166e7_z.jpg

Dig a hole corner of gdn, & bury a lidded bucket into it- one with a lid closing with a twist/ locks it in place.

Put 1/4 full of earth in: deposits in & a spinkle of soil on each time. Lid twist shut. Minimal smell & it breaks down.. not into useable compost (urgh- revolting) it just breaks down in time. Put some holes in tub base a good idea surely.

Don't put in bin (or WC), ffs bringing into the house is disgusting, & total disrespectul to the bin guys &/or council waste guys.

Capt

I won’t be bringing it indoors, that’s for sure! Currently it’s bagged before going in the bin, so don’t see that as disrespectful to the waste guys.

We bag up and it goes out with the rubbish-or over the park and he gets caught short, bag it and put in the appropriate bin. 🐕‍🦺 💩

We had one of those buried composting tub things when we got our first dog. Didn’t use it for long. Found it minging to open and drop the waste into.

We just use poo bags into the general waste bin. Gets incinerated or landfilled, so its fate is much the same.

I am unsure how much it is the case still, but moderately recently, domestic refuse was hand-sorted. I know that because I met someone who did it for a living - he gave it up as he got sick of smelling of refuse all the time.

I would not be at all surprised if disposing of dog turds in refuse was actually illegal.
When we first got green waste bins around here (so called garden waste bins), the list of what could go in included pet litter, but only from vegetarian pets - rabbits, mice and the like. Even that is not allowed now.

Home composting? Very risky unless you are 110% cast-iron sure that the dog is free of worms, not least toxicara. Maybe use on flower beds only, at best.

advertisement

Back