advertisement

[IC] Falcon LS3/5As on Falcon LS3/5A stands

Tony L

Administrator
50762070426_08c411efc7_b.jpg

Just an interest check at present, testing the water for any interesting trades.

These are a genuinely NM unmarked boxed pair of late ‘silver label’ Falcon LS3/5As in walnut upgraded by myself with Falcon ‘gold label’ crossovers. The stands are Falcon’s own high-mass 600mm LS3/5A stands which retailed for around £800-900 IIRC. The stands are a very strong VG+, one took a slight hit in shipping to the baseplate, but you really, really need to go looking for it and it is easily positioned at the back.

52327134614_74246d1cc5_b.jpg

Here’s the crossover, and that’s about the best picture I have to hand of the walnut finish, which is lovely.

I’m just floating this for options, I’ve no idea what I want to trade for, and obviously I’d accept cash. They owe me just over £2k, so I’d not want to go much below that threshold. I’m curious if someone with say a pair of Graham LS5/9s was looking for something smaller. Maybe a real high-end SACD player, or a Gibson Les Paul Jr, a genuinely mint perfectly working pair of ESLs, a spare pair of 15” Monitor Gold drivers, or whatever the hell. I dunno, something really cool that I actually want!

I don’t care if they don’t go, they are a nice thing to have as a spare/possible future context, but I have too many very similar mini-monitors at present and I’m curious if there are any interesting trades out there!

God I'm wondering if these would be good for my bedroom set-up. Currently got a pair of Acoustic energy AE1 classics on very early (and heavy) AE1 stands (before the fluted version) fed mainly tidal from a naim SuperUniti.
Would the sound Quality go up, down or sideways in your opinion. I mainly play Jazz to prog, indie, rock and even a bit of classical so a wide range.
Aaaargh 🤪

Lancashire/Greater Manchester.

PS Very different to AE1s, plus fit with an entirely different system. AE1s really need a lot of solid state power to do their thing (e.g. a Krell!) IME, LS3/5As can work nicely with a ten Watt valve amp. I like both in their own way, but I’d be hard pushed to think of two more different small speakers.

They are fully boxed-up, so I’ll just recycle a few more old photos. The speakers are genuinely mint on all sides, no marks and a very nice walnut finish. I’m obsessive about condition to absurd levels and I’ve spotted no flaws.

51187784948_6772ffd8a6_b.jpg

51017622077_4e75ff0cc8_b.jpg

50628156818_07e401125b_b.jpg

I’d take £1800 on stands.

I’d grade the stands at a very strong EX. There are a couple of tiny marks/dings at the bottom on one edge as the factory packaging isn’t great and they took a hit in shipping. I’m only factoring £200 for them in the price, which is a quarter of what they would have originally cost, i.e. speakers alone are £1600.

advertisement

Back