advertisement

Falcon Acoustics

HifiDan

pfm Member
Looking at ordering one of their speaker kits!!!

Has anyone built any of their kits? How do they sound as you can’t really dem a pair.

Thanks,

Dan

Bought few speaker bits/driver from them. Never tried their complete kits. But I have built kits from Wilmslow Audio..

Speaker kit building, so long as you have some idea of the sound you are going for, is worth it IME you save on build costs and save on shop margin so you end up paying about a third to a quarter of shop price, disadvantage is resale value is lower.

Buying a speaker kit that you have not hear is always going to be something of a, "shot in the dark", which requires faith in the company that designed/developed the speaker on offer.
The company of which you mention, I understand, was founded in the early seventies by Malcom Jones (previously of KEF and still has an association with Falcon) . This would gain my confidence.

I have built many! speaker kit's since the seventies and have never been disappointed given the input. I believe that a successful speaker build will put a big smile on your face.

Last edited:
Has anyone built any of their kits? How do they sound as you can’t really dem a pair.

I’d try phoning them. I’ve never built any of their kits, but I have bought quite a few parts over the years and have always found them really helpful and knowledgeable. Often you get to talk to Jerry Bloomfield who clearly knows his stuff. I’d expect their kits to be excellent, their LS3/5As are stunningly good and superbly finished (I have a pair) so I’d expect their kit cabinets to be of pretty similar quality. They’ve been doing this stuff since 1972, which actually makes them one of the oldest surviving fully UK-owned speaker manufacturers.

Looking at ordering one of their speaker kits!!!

Their kits are unusual in using 50 year old design drivers, warts and all, which presumably were initially intended as replacement drivers for 50 year old speakers. The drivers are expensive (which is fair and follows from the low volumes) and priced around modern top of the range drivers but don't offer anything like the technical performance 50 years of evolution has brought to motor, cone and suspension design. Depending on what you want from a speaker kit the raised price and lowered technical performance compared to a well designed one using modern drivers may or may not be a issue.

advertisement

Back