advertisement

Falcon Acoustics LS3/5A

Though if it's not a 1st gen Kef T27 and a B110 it is not an LS3/5! May well be a fabulous speaker though, but a 3/5 it ain't!

Though if it's not a 1st gen Kef T27 and a B110 it is not an LS3/5! May well be a fabulous speaker though, but a 3/5 it ain't!

Oh, this is now getting into the 'what is a true LS3/5a' territory.
Doug Stirling would be / will be rather upset, as his V2 model has
BBC approval.

Oh, this is now getting into the 'what is a true LS3/5a' territory.
Doug Stirling would be / will be rather upset, as his V2 model has
BBC approval.

He can't call it an LS3/5A though, as it very clearly isn't. The V2 moniker distances it sufficiently and the BBC license implies it is a swap-in replacement, as of course is a Harbeth M20 (which also isn't an LS3/5A). The definition is very clear to my mind; T27, B110, BBC-spec crossover and box, proper formal measurement to ensure they meet BBC spec, label on the back saying LS3/5A etc. That is an LS3/5A.

PS None of this is meant to imply any of these other speakers are not truly excellent (I like the V2 from what little I've heard of it), but I'm sorry you can no more make a LS3/5A with a Volt bass unit than you could make a Tannoy Autograph with say an Altec 604 driver. These things just are what they are!

He can't call it an LS3/5A though, as it very clearly isn't. The V2 moniker distances it sufficiently and the BBC license implies it is a swap-in replacement, as of course is a Harbeth M20 (which also isn't an LS3/5A). The definition is very clear to my mind; T27, B110, BBC-spec crossover and box, proper formal measurement to ensure they meet BBC spec, label on the back saying LS3/5A etc. That is an LS3/5A.

PS None of this is meant to imply any of these other speakers are not truly excellent (I like the V2 from what little I've heard of it), but I'm sorry you can no more make a LS3/5A with a Volt bass unit than you could make a Tannoy Autograph with say an Altec 604 driver. These things just are what they are!

Exactly...

I would think this is why the Chartwell Project Symphony was not called LS3/5a, it would be home assembled and no final factory testing.

I wonder if anyone reading this has assembled a Project Symphony.

I would think this is why the Chartwell Project Symphony was not called LS3/5a, it would be home assembled and no final factory testing.

I wonder if anyone reading this has assembled a Project Symphony.

I have often wondered about the Project Symphony LS3/5as.

As they were mainly 'home assembled' ( admittedly by people who knew what they were doing ) the way they always do well in LS3/5a comparisons says something.

As I have built the Falcon LS3/5a Kit, I know attention to detail is paramount during assembly.

Oh, the LS3/5a, what correspondence it generates on Forums...

I have managed to buy a little used pair of the Falcons at a very competitive price.
I'd have built another Falcon LS3/5a Kit if they had still been available.

The Falcons I've bought are the actual pair reviewed by Stereophile magazine.

I can imagine some Far East LS3/5a Collector wanting these because of their
Provenance.

Martyn.

I have just bought ( from America) a pair of Falcon Acoustics LS3/5as.
The Serial Numbers are: 000126 A/B

I was going to sell them on, but the Serial Numbers looked familiar.
Reading reviews on the Internet, the Falcon Acoustics box shown in the Stereophile review shows 000126 A/B.

An addition to my Harbeth P-3ESRs.
Both loudspeakers have their own strengths & weaknesses.

Update:
I have just found out the Stereophile pair were Serial
Numbers 000124.

Martyn.

advertisement

Back