advertisement

External speaker protection units

OK... for the same reason that a reputable builder would turn down the job of building a unicorn enclosure!

Now I'm even more confuzzled!

Are you saying because it's not necessary? In my particular circumstances, being able to fit a custom length power cable would significantly reduce the amount of clutter (and more importantly, unnecessary power lead length) floating around. Adcom themselves fitted IEC sockets as a modification at point of purchase of my GFA 565 monoblocks by their original owner (admittedly with a bunch of other mods too, but still - they fitted them).

OK... for the same reason that a reputable builder would turn down the job of building a unicorn enclosure!
What an utterly bizarre response and rationale. I can understand why if there isn't a suitable panel to mount the IEC socket, but otherwise, sure it's not a big deal cutting and shaping a bigger hole where the captive lead comes out and wiring it up.

If a deal breaker fit an in-line IEC socket to the flex on a short tail. That not hifi specific if you can wire a plug can do that.
I think Jez point is just that he doesn't take money to do work that has no benefit. Your situation may be different but the idea that all kit must have an IEC socket is nuts. If anything it's another connector to potential erode performance ( let's be honest all connections benefit from a clean over time).
I mean I didn't lose sleep when stuff had a hard wired flex far from it

What an utterly bizarre response and rationale. I can understand why if there isn't a suitable panel to mount the IEC socket, but otherwise, sure it's not a big deal cutting and shaping a bigger hole where the captive lead comes out and wiring it up.

...and if I get an amp in which had a captive lead and it's been replaced with an IEC socket I'll turn it away! Yes seriously! :D

My thump-on, thump off adcoms thump and squeak below this...

The "squeak" bit sounds ominous (and is above 80Hz, otherwise it's not a squeak!).
Sounds like the amp is marginally stable and as the rails drop it goes unstable. Somewhat concerning.

The "squeak" bit sounds ominous (and is above 80Hz, otherwise it's not a squeak!).
Sounds like the amp is marginally stable and as the rails drop it goes unstable. Somewhat concerning.

Some amps can do this when the smoothing caps are getting worn and especially if they wear unequally (MF A370!). Other electrolytic caps wearing and going high ESR also possible cause of course. However some amps just do this anyway as they switch off... not many, but I've come across a few that do this but everything is A1 under power!

Reactions: irb

advertisement

Back