advertisement

Exposure XVIII or XVIII Super pre to partner XIX power amp?

Robn

pfm Member
At last an Exposure XIX pre has found its way to me! I'm finding it difficult to decide whether it better suits the XVIII power or the 'Super' version of the same. I have tried it with both, the XVIII sounds a tad brighter and more lively, the XVIII Super has perhaps a little more depth and weight in the upper bass region but is still lively.
Sources are a Garrard 401 with Mission 774/AT PTG33; a Squeezebox and an old Pioneer 656A univeral disc player. Presently the speakers are KEF104/2 but at some point I'll probably bring the Quad ESL63s back into play.
Any thoughts which might be the better combination? I very much like both combinations.

Hi there, had them all. I found the super XVIII power a better match as it had a fuller and deeper bass which helped balance out with the XIX pre which was slightly lacking in true deep bass. The XIX pre is a very musical and enjoyable amp!
Stephen

Hi Stephen, thank you and yes feels like that to me too. I'm hoping to find a XXI to try at some point too.
Robin

Had 2 of them. First time back in 1997 with super 18 mono's, then more recently with the super 18 stereo power amp. Thought this was a fantastic pairing. 21 pretty is quite relentless and can be a bit fatiguing , but full on driving sound. Sold all that stuff and now use 16 monos with 14/9 pre.
Stephen

advertisement

Back