advertisement

Exposure, Will I hear a difference?

I can say the same thing to you because you claim stuff which has been proofed to be wrong but you still insist that it has to be right because "you hear it".:confused:

Anyhow, to get back to something positiv, you (honestly!) have a very nice system.:)

Last edited:
Many Thanks for all the input, I've Just bought a 3010s2d pre and 3010s2 stereo power amp from Ebay. Fingers crossed they will do the job!

Simon

Thats a seriously good VFM amp combo, I'm sure your Dynaudio will be happy, my experience with Dyns are they need good power and space.

So you define many parts as quality? i guess you‘d be very disapointed if you would look on the few parts of a expansive high quality SET amplifier.

just having a look at these amps, my god there is nothing in these box's, ,
https://www.tonepublications.com/review/exposure-3010s2-mono-power-amplifier/
:):):), I know, but I think that's true of an awful lot of 'minimalist' HiFi gear! My Moth passive pre amp actually has 90% fresh air and could easily be only a couple of inches deep truth be known......only it would keep falling over.
I often get to thinking maybe I could just get the bits and build one myself, but then common sense takes over:
1, I don't really know what I'm doing :(
2, Having spent a couple of hundred quid on parts and casework, the finished product would be, near as makes no difference, worthless to anybody else.
3, If I don't like the Exposure combo, I would expect to be able to sell it for what I paid for it on Ebay .....give or take a couple of hundred quid.
4, Interest rates are so bad at the moment, It makes no difference if I have a few £K in the bank, or more enjoyably 'invested' in second hand HIFI :)

Thats a seriously good VFM amp combo, I'm sure your Dynaudio will be happy, my experience with Dyns are they need good power and space.
Thanks PerF,

Yes I've definitely been having fun trying to position my Dynaudios firing across a reasonably narrow 3.15m room! They without doubt sound better and better as I pull them away from the back wall, but at the same time become more and more like nearfield monitoring and less like HIFI. I'm trying to build this system to just sound 'nice' and not fatiguing like my Genelec Studio monitors are for long term listening. Hence going for the Exposure amp from reviews and opinions I've read.:)

Let us know how you get on! I’ve owned a few pairs of Dynaudio speakers (partnered with Naim, Rega, Simaudio, Densen,Krell) in the past and, yes, they like a bit of power and space.

I’ve never tried Exposure amps though…!

Let us know how you get on! I’ve owned a few pairs of Dynaudio speakers (partnered with Naim, Rega, Simaudio, Densen,Krell) in the past and, yes, they like a bit of power and space.

I’ve never tried Exposure amps though…!

Will do Jezzer,

I've been at the mercy of what comes up for sale. I was narrowly outbid on a Supernait 2 yesterday an Ebay, so went for this Exposure as kind of a fall back option.
Both appear on the balance of opinion/reviews to be very good amps:
Naim: Pros.....often mentioned as a good tonal match for Dynaudio to bring out top end detail. Cons... might have been a bit intense as I sit quite near the speakers in my livingroom.
Exposure: Pros...maybe a bit warmer sounding than the Naim and maybe more engaging for long term listening. Cons.. Might not bring out enough top end detail on the Dynaudios,

Hopefully I will find out tomorrow if the Exposure/Dynaudio combo works for me:)

Yup! Pretty much the reason I didn’t go for Exposure when I had the Dynaudios. I feared their warm balance would be too much!

Many moons ago, I had an Exposure XXII CD player for about a month and couldn’t get on with it (just really murky sounding). I replaced it with a Copland CDA823 which was miles better (with my partnering equipment at the time - Krell KAV400XI and Dynaudio Contour 1.8mk2)

to the OP - You should be OK with your purchase. I A/B demoed the 3010 pre with a stereo amp and then mono blocks. I liked the monos more, but it was only the A/B comparison that let me notice a difference. In real world listening I'm not sure you would know. I use them to drive ATC SCM40s which are a difficult load. I think there are more watts per channel in the stereo amp that each mono. Enjoy your purchase.

Whatever happens I've resolved to give the combo a good go, and will be setting about taming my living room bass wise (as far as the room dimensions allow) with some corner bass traps and a bigger sofa. If I can tidy the bass up a bit that should give the top end the best chance of being just right:)

So..... Exposure + Dynaudio

The jury is still out.
It sounds great for easy listening, big detailed and mellow. I can listen to it for hours, but at points I can't help feeling I'm missing some excitement.
It sometimes feels like rock guitar should have brighter edges and some vocals could do with just a touch more top end.
I'm going to do some room treatment on the low end and see if that shifts the tonal balance, as I definitely have some stud and dot and dab plasterboard vibrating along with the music, but I can't help feeling I'm staring into an expensive HIFI wormhole trying to improve that last 10%....hmmm

If we knew your location maybe someone on here could come and help with the problems you have, maybe bring another amp to try.

So..... Exposure + Dynaudio

The jury is still out.
It sounds great for easy listening, big detailed and mellow. I can listen to it for hours, but at points I can't help feeling I'm missing some excitement.
It sometimes feels like rock guitar should have brighter edges and some vocals could do with just a touch more top end.
I'm going to do some room treatment on the low end and see if that shifts the tonal balance, as I definitely have some stud and dot and dab plasterboard vibrating along with the music, but I can't help feeling I'm staring into an expensive HIFI wormhole trying to improve that last 10%....hmmm

Unfortunatelly that might be the case, but first try different cables. They do make a difference in those last %. Synergy is everything in audio.

Exposure is to me warmer than Naim, Naim has this Edge thing both are not the top end kings IMO. BTW: Room treatment is always a good thing.

advertisement

Back