advertisement

Exposure questions...

TimF

pfm Member
It has been quite awhile since I have listened to any of the newer Exposure gear, mainly a 2010S2 integrated I believe it was. Also, I have listened to the older gear years ago in comparison to Naim's olive series of the time, but the newer series stuff I am not really sure of its signature.

I have an opportunity to possibly pick up a fairly new and little used 3010S2 preamp and the mono-blocs that match it for a decent price or possibly cash and some trades. This would be about a two or so hour drive from me and the only thing I would need to take is my Kan2's/stands to be able to listen to this, unsure of source at the present.

I have always enjoyed the older Expo gear, and even the newer integrated I had a listen to quite awhile ago was very enjoyable too. More than likely the Expo gear would be used with my Kans and utilizing my Naim Uniti as source/streaming for awhile until sources are settled upon.

So, any info. or opinions would be welcomed, and I will see if time will allow me to actually make the drive and listen to them properly. Current setup is the Naim Uniti driving a pair of Nap-100's in mono config. and either Kans or my Larsen Model 4's. I would think the Expo amps would give a bit more kick/meat on the bones possibly. Thanks in advance! Tim

Hmmm...well I had a 2010s2 until fairly recently. I really liked it (phono stage was very good too). My general impression of Exp vs Naim from the 2010 is the Exp is quite "fast" but not quite as detailed as Naim...IMO a bit fatter in the bass and a bit smoother up top.

I don't listen to a lot of amps though, so someone else can probably give you a better summation than me!

I typically don't listen to a lot of amps/pre's etc. either. From memory the 2010 integrated was a very enjoyable amp in my opinion, especially for the money. The 3010 stuff I just have no measure on it at all really, and where it may fit in the general Naim quality/sound/lineup-and I certainly realize this is all highly subjective anyway.

I enjoy the black Naim gear, but when you start looking at amps and needing(or wanting) more power, it gets quite expensive quickly.

I do enjoy my system right now as it is, in fact am quite surprised often at just how good the streamer of the Uniti is. The setup is just fairly well balanced and I am not in a hurry to change any of it, just testing the waters, getting some opinions etc.

I appreciate your input, thanks!

The 3010S2 mono-blocks are great for the money and should work very well with 3010S2 pre. One option is also use the classic 23 pre which should fit in very nicely too. Should drive the Kans very well and also much more power hungry speakers too. I was driving Monitor 40.1 with these monos.

In my system the 3010S2 monos were not bass heavy but very fast with good grip and detail and it's also smoother/cleaner sounding compared to older Expo gear. In comparison the old XVIII was beefier but also much slower and not that smooth at all. Of course it depends on the room and used pre/other gear but I would suggest to try the 3010S2 monos if you can. I really liked them a lot. I was using the monos with MCX pre & CDP at that time. Also heard them briefly with 23 pre and 3010S2 pre.

D-thanks for this input. The monos seem to be very good value, even new it would seem. The guy is selling the Expos as a set, the monos and pre, so if I wanted to go that route, would have to buy them all, no parting out. But this would seem like the way forward anyway.

I am just having a moment of thinking over system moving forward from this point and if it would be a sound value for me. Fortunately I also have some time to consider this as he is in no hurry to part with them, yet he is giving me first rights on them.

Good information on the older versus newer, I do recall the older amps having very hefty power supplies and able to swing a decent amount of current. I haven't seen any current specs etc. on the 3010 monos, so not sure how that particular bit stacks up, not that specs are the thing either.

Thanks again for the input!

The 3010 monos are awesome and provide more power than you'll ever need. I'm not so sure on the pre, I remember I've read negative comments somewhere, but no details anymore. It will certainly be an upgrade over the 2010s, otherwise there would be no justification for it in the range. As you say you enjoyed the 2010s, you should be safe there.

I have the 23/28, and like it a lot. They can be had for silly money now although much better than a Naim 82/250 to my ears. Jims description of "fatter bass & rounder treble" is pretty much spot on. Very musical.

I used to run KanIIs in a second system, and preferred a Densen DM10 over the Exposure gear by a mile. Could be my taste or the room though. The Exposures are fantastic on my Epos or System Audio.

28 is not very good driving difficult speakers in my opinion. Agreed it's very musical still and it really can rock your socks off. I loved my 23/28 at the time I had it. If possible, pls try 3010s2 monos with 23 pre at some point. I believe 23 can very well be better than the new 3010s2 pre. Still 3010s2 pre/monos should be good starting point and you can drive almost anything with the monos.

Thanks all. It does seem to me that I recall someone maybe forum member possibly mention that he did not think the 3010 pre was anything to jump up and down about, merely okay. I haven't really searched that in general, it has been awhile though. There doesn't really seem to be a whole lot out there in general on the newer range of Expo gear.

More than likely a listen to the pre and monos will happen though, if nothing else just to listen to them and get a bit of my own opinion on them and go from there. The amps seem to be the thing here that would be good, will sort the pre out if and when a purchase is made. It might actually be more than fine, we shall see. Tim

advertisement

Back