advertisement

Exposure IV or Quad 303/33

Hello everyone, my apologies for just joining and posting, but I think I might be driving myself slightly mad…!

As the title suggests, I was initially looking for a lovely old Quad(306/34 / 303/33) to partner my first ever turntable, an old AR Turntable. However, a friend has offered me his Exposure IV and VII, admittedly for more than the quad set would cost (£350ish/£650).
Don’t mind paying a little more, if it’s worth it. I like the fact that both have aftermarket support and can be serviced, as well as those industrial looks of all of these - but no good if they’re ‘naff’.

As you can see, I’m no audiophile, so just want a good bang for my buck.

It would seem that the IV in question is the single stereo type - is this really bad compared to a dual version?! And the VII has only one power socket, which can (should?!) be changed at the factory?!

Also, I was eyeing up some Quad ESL 57s (£280), to go with a Quad setup. Would these work safely with the Exposure, or not to bother?!

Any direction and input would be very much appreciated, possibly mostly by The Boss - ‘just sort it out, will you!?’

Many, many thanks,

Mark

PS would these be better than some kind of Pioneer amp SX model?! Stress!

The Exposure for sound quality for me. However, do you know the service history for either? At those ages, it’s always best to budget for a service. Quad probably wins on that score; there’s a lot more of it about and more people familiar with it, although Exposure amps aren’t rocket science by any means. The Exposure system will work with the Quad speakers but the 303 was literally designed to go with them. From a design perspective the Quad wins by a mile. Both would be significantly preferable to the Pioneer IMO.

I have an Exposure IV dual mono with an Exposure 21 as preamp.
All I can say is wow.
This combo really rock, with deep but not flabby bass, a liquid medium that is detailed and very sweet and it also really punches hard on percussion.
This seems to be designed for rhythm music such as rock, jazz and blues.
But, if your music preferences are more about organic instruments such as oboe, the Quad kit might be a better option as it has one of the most non fatiguing sound of the hi-fi industry.
And the Exposure dual mono has a bit more oomph and punch than the single transformer but it’s not a major difference between both.

All depends what speakers you want to drive IME. The 303 works very much like a valve amp with vintage speakers that can sound thin, over-damped and dry with more modern electronics (ESLs, Tannoys, LS3/5As etc). With more modern speakers the Exposure is a better match. Both are very capable in their appropriate context.

The Exposure for sound quality for me. However, do you know the service history for either? At those ages, it’s always best to budget for a service. Quad probably wins on that score; there’s a lot more of it about and more people familiar with it, although Exposure amps aren’t rocket science by any means. The Exposure system will work with the Quad speakers but the 303 was literally designed to go with them. From a design perspective the Quad wins by a mile. Both would be significantly preferable to the Pioneer IMO.
Many thanks for your thoughts. Neither been serviced, so yes that was in my thoughts. Can’t go wrong with either(it would seem?), assuming they work, of course :)

I have just confirmed the purchase of the 57s, as I have read great things and they seem in great condition, and sequential serials, which some seem is important.

So perhaps a Quad amp…or the Exposure, as if it works the 57s and will give more options in the future…

I have removed the idea of a Pioneer thing from my list. Thanks!

Exposure are known to be very good with ESL's so that combo will be a good one. A VII/IV is excellent. The VI power supply for the VII is easy to come by for sensible money too. My feeling is the extra money would be well spent. Expect to have them serviced at some point and the Exposures can still be serviced at the factory. ESL's can be serviced also at the factory still I think and at places like A Quad Thing Audio. It will be a killer combo if you get them all in fine fettle.

I have an Exposure IV dual mono with an Exposure 21 as preamp.
All I can say is wow.
This combo really rock, with deep but not flabby bass, a liquid medium that is detailed and very sweet and it also really punches hard on percussion.
This seems to be designed for rhythm music such as rock, jazz and blues.
But, if your music preferences are more about organic instruments such as oboe, the Quad kit might be a better option as it has one of the most non fatiguing sound of the hi-fi industry.
And the Exposure dual mono has a bit more oomph and punch than the single transformer but it’s not a major difference between both.
Brilliant. Many thanks for taking the time to comment. Hmmm, mix of the two, certainly some classical in there…I know the 57s wouldn’t like the rock/jazz, apparently(?).

All depends what speakers you want to drive IME. The 303 works very much like a valve amp with vintage speakers that can sound thin, over-damped and dry with more modern electronics (ESLs, Tannoys, LS3/5As etc). With more modern speakers the Exposure is a better match. Both are very capable in their appropriate context.
Interesting, thanks for your time. Would either amp suit a set of two speakers more, the 57s and something more suitable for rock/jazz etc.?
She’d kill me dead if I suggested two amps!

Many thanks for your thoughts. Neither been serviced, so yes that was in my thoughts. Can’t go wrong with either(it would seem?), assuming they work, of course :)

I have just confirmed the purchase of the 57s, as I have read great things and they seem in great condition, and sequential serials, which some seem is important.

So perhaps a Quad amp…or the Exposure, as if it works the 57s and will give more options in the future…

I have removed the idea of a Pioneer thing from my list. Thanks!
They're both good, they will sound a bit different. As for "something more suited to jazz" than ESL 57s, good luck with that search.

I hope you will be happy with your ‘57s.
The 303 is my favourite amp with them. It is a match made in heaven by St Peter himself. 😉
But that big Technics 200 watter I have also drives them perfectly I must say.
I like the 306 and 405 less, although they are good amps.

I hope you will be happy with your ‘57s.
The 303 is my favourite amp with them. It is a match made in heaven by St Peter himself. 😉
But that big Technics 200 watter I have also drives them perfectly I must say.
So, I’m not going to break them? Just do t crank them up too loud? No idea…!

Mine have the OTA clamp board. If yours are unmodified be careful yes.
Here’s the man who looked after mine with the late Steve Williams.

file.php

file.php

file.php

file.php

Does that mean they’d be good for jazz?!
Lordy, yes.

Mind you, I’m playing Tom Jones on mine right now so my opinion might not count.

As others have said, a 303 is an excellent amp for 57s; I use one when my Quad II Classic Integrated is “indisposed”.

Also, I suspect the laws of physics would give way before a 303 broke a 57.

Given the price difference, and the fact that you've bought the 57's, it would have to be the Quad IMHO. You shouldn't be disappointed in the sound quality especially once the Quads have been serviced, including having the 33's power supply increased.

No brainer...
A quad 303,with capacitor upgrade/service will suffice,ferndale sell complete board set on the bay.....
More importantly a decent distance away from a wall and off the ground, 12inch or so quadrophonic stands are good...

It’s worth mentioning that 57s are fine with rock and jazz, they just don’t do headbanging volumes. Very different to a box loudspeaker and do some things better and some worse, whatever the genre. Don’t let your music put you off.

Don’t go thinking you’ll get window-shaking bass, but if they like your room, they also do bass adequately.
But if you like sheer volume levels for your music, they just can’t do it.
For live music I use other speakers which are 95 dB sensitive.

advertisement

Back