advertisement

Exposure CD players

Conster

pfm Member
Looking to add a CD player to an all exposure system consisting of a 14/9 16 combo driving either Royd Abbots, Minstrels or Doublets.
Wondering what the best choice would be. Currently using a Rega Saturn. Not sure if any of the Exposure players can top that one. Considering the Exposure CD22. Any feedback would be appreciated.

The Exposure CD22 or the 3010 (same difference) are very good players. Much better than the Farlow CDP. I had a CD 22, sold it and bought something else, I can't remember what that was but I missed the Exposure, so I bought another. I'm not familiar with the Rega Saturn but when we demmed Exposure and Naim in the shop, the CD 22 blew the Naim CDX clear out of the field. Speaking from personal experience, you can't go wrong with Exposure.

To my ears the original Exposure CD player is very musical. I sometimes prefer it to the Chord Hugo!

I have and like the original Falowe CD player. Very musical as you say, not the best but for the price I can't complain

Same here.
I replaced a Micromega T/Drive + DPA Enlightenment dac with the original CDP back in the day. It got some fine reviews when it came out. Won a Hifi News group test against some very nice machines - if you rate these reviews.
I think they reviewed another more expensive group of players a month or two later and they stated that none of those really bested the CDP either.
Just recently fitted a replacement transformer to my one.
I've had 3 of them over the years as Ive still got a few Exposure amps.

The original CDP is definitely musical, I'll grant you that, but falls down on bass authority and detail. I guess the Exposure PSU and analogue stages can't overcome the inherent limitations of the Philips Bitstream basis. And then there's that annoying relay (albeit easily defeated).

I'd rather listen to an AA5+ TBH, with only the most basic of mods.

If I was going for an Exposure cdp now I'd just go right for the 3010s2. Most likely the best bet. Never heard one and don't know what they retail at. Nice traditional look in black with red display too.

advertisement

Back