advertisement

Exposure 2510 review/ A British Audiophile

Well said!

Does the 2510 make the loud popping noise when turning it on? My 2010S2D did that - it was a bit alarming at first but Exposure confirmed it was normal, and I've read the same since. My 1010 does a much quieter version of it.

Well said!

Does the 2510 make the loud popping noise when turning it on? My 2010S2D did that - it was a bit alarming at first but Exposure confirmed it was normal, and I've read the same since. My 1010 does a much quieter version of it.

Ah yes, forgot to mention that. 2510 produces a mild pop at switch on as opposed the mighty thump that my 2010S2D did, like yours. Agreed, Exposure advise this is normal, they told the same to the buyer of my 2010. Naim 5i-2 did the same.

Last edited:
Well, the 2510 is back in its box. After quite a lengthy session with both amps yesterday, and much PITA swapping between both amps, the conclusion was fairly straightforward. While the Exposure is a fantastic device, there just isn't enough 'extra' to justify the additional cost.

My initial thoughts stand, at least in my set up (ND5 XS2, Apollo-R, Talisman 2). The Rega has more soundstage depth and width. This quality is more noticeable on tracks that have the greatest sense of space engineered into the recording but it's there. By contrast, the 2510 deals a smidge better with absolute bass authority, seems to have a tiny bit more 'grip' without the iron fisted control my old 3010 S2D used to have.

Many pro reviews will wax lyrical and brand the Rega as 'dynamic' and 'musical', the 2510 as being the epitome of neutrality. The luddite in me can't really segregate these opinions into meaningful experiences to be honest. Both amps sound superb in my humble view, either will be a fine addition if you're looking for a quality integrated. The price difference at RRP is hard to ignore though.

Apologies if my comparison conclusion appears a tad lacklustre, I have a massive fondness for Exposure and did wonder casually if there was going to be a night and day epiphany but the plucky Rega puts up a very good fight.

Finally on the subject of build quality, even with a perfect Exposure, the Rega wins, my example is properly solid and very well screwed together, the input lights are amusing though, looking down at the amp powered up makes it look like 2 lights are lit at once, looking at it from eye level, only one light lit. The demo Exposure I had wasn't the best I thought, one of the feet fell off ! More intriguing was the sticky volume control that would not operate past 12 o'clock with the remote and had to be manually moved past this point, I'd make a point of checking this if you were buying. The aluminium casework of the Exposure seems better than the 2010S2D I used to own which had a quite rough texture, the 2510 seems a lot smoother.

Fine amplifiers, both of them.

Glad you’re happy with the Rega, I agree, it’s a cracking amp. I much prefer the look and fit and finish of the 2510 (definitely a step up from the 2010) though.
These sorts of amps get overlooked because they’re relatively cheap but the combination of passive preamp and only two output devices per channel can make for a very enjoyable and simple system provided you’re careful with what’s going into it (source impedance) and what it’s feeding (speaker load).

Glad you’re happy with the Rega, I agree, it’s a cracking amp. I much prefer the look and fit and finish of the 2510 (definitely a step up from the 2010) though.
These sorts of amps get overlooked because they’re relatively cheap but the combination of passive preamp and only two output devices per channel can make for a very enjoyable and simple system provided you’re careful with what’s going into it (source impedance) and what it’s feeding (speaker load).

Thanks John. I was quite prepared to be digging down the back of the sofa for spare funds to buy the Exposure but it just didn't happen like that. I believe my historical experiences with all the last-gen Exposure integrateds lent me a certain unconscious bias towards them, not unjustified I might add as they are excellent amps.

My only pervious Rega amp experience was a brief dalliance with the Brio-R which was fab too but then one-box-itus set in and it was moved on. The Elex-R has greatly impressed me these last few days, I think it's more refined than some testers would have you believe, excellent build, excellent soundstage width and depth and runs cool.

Hope you enjoy the 2510 for many years to come.

Greetings!

I am a delighted 2510 owner for the last months and I am considering upgrading my current speakers (Monitor Audio Bronze 2).

I prefer mid/low volume sessions in a square 18 sqm room and enjoy neutral-warm sound with open mids.

I am between Denton 85 or KLH model 3 (not available to hear) for standspeakers and Dali Oberon 5 or Triangle Gaia EZ (not available to hear) for floor standings

What speakers have you combined the amp with ?

Can I ask how the two work together? Would you say that there is synergy between them?

I have struggled with excess bass with my DT8s driven by a Nait XS2 but it could be the room.

Thanks Tony

Hi Tony, I demoed all of the Proac line upto the D20R and the DT8 has definitely a more bass focused nature than all the standmounts and the D20Rs. My room seems to have a mid-bass suck out despite being not very big so this type of speaker works well for me.
By the sounds of it the DT8 may be the wrong speaker for you. I’d recommend trying the DB1, cracking speaker which I think would suit you better. Of the stand mounts the DB3 is closest in character to the DT8.
The D20R is more reserved both tonally and possibly dynamically and has the ribbon tweeter of course, which has its own delicacy but for any form of rock I think I’m leaning towards the dome tweeter more now.
Hope that helps
John

Hi Tony, I demoed all of the Proac line upto the D20R and the DT8 has definitely a more bass focused nature than all the standmounts and the D20Rs. My room seems to have a mid-bass suck out despite being not very big so this type of speaker works well for me.
By the sounds of it the DT8 may be the wrong speaker for you. I’d recommend trying the DB1, cracking speaker which I think would suit you better. Of the stand mounts the DB3 is closest in character to the DT8.
The D20R is more reserved both tonally and possibly dynamically and has the ribbon tweeter of course, which has its own delicacy but for any form of rock I think I’m leaning towards the dome tweeter more now.
Hope that helps
John

Hi John

Thanks very much for the info. I was quite taken with the DB1 in the dealers but the DT8 sounded great too but it wasn't my room!

Really helpful.

Thanks

Tony

Would the 2510 drive adequately the ProAc DB1 or DB3 for low to mid volume sessions in a ~20sqm room ?

I usually listen at night, so low volumes performance is important. Medium level volumes in the weekend during daytime.

I would like a speaker match that would perform the max/best with the 2510. Not planning to change amp soon.

advertisement

Back