advertisement

Experience with Sonus Faber Concertino?

kasperhauser

pfm Member
Just brought a pair of these into the house – original bi-wire version – and so far am really enjoying them. Currently have DADA-modded Quad 33/303 upstream. The midrange and highs in particular are very nice.

Search tells me these speakers have some fans on here. I have quite a few amplification options and combinations to try, with a tube preamp and the Quad 33 in the house, plus the Quad 303, a 200 wpc ICE-based power amp, and a beefy JVC AX-Z911 integrated (predecessor to the AX-Z1010). I expect I'll eventually end up trying all the options but would be interested to hear how others have gotten the best out of theirs.

Also on the list of variables is to get some better bi-wire jumpers, better stands (i.e., any stands at all - they are currently perched atop my Meridian M20 speakers), and bringing my old Velodyne Servo F-1000 sub out of storage and adding that to the mix.

Great little speakers, I found they worked well with a variety of amps, budget , midrange or even High end, whether valve, class A & A/B solid state the better quality the amp (and the source) the more they delivered.
I used everything from a Creek 4040, YBA, Copland, Unison Research S4, various Croft and Sugden amps.
I loved the midrange of the valve amps but found the Copland hybrid best all rounder and the little Creek was really impressive.
As you've already found they've a nice treble and a lovely midrange, I found the treble to be quite agreeable, no harshness or glare though I've heard more detailed treble on more modern models using a larger and more expensive tweeter, the midrange i think is their strong point, beguiling is the word that springs to mind . I always found the bass in the concertino pretty punchy, good enough for everything though of course there's a limit to how low they go, but combined with a sub or two they really deliver.
They'll pretty much work well fairly close to the wall but sound much better if placed in free space with a good deal of toe in like all of Franco Serblins designs.
I've only used two speaker stands, the Partington A4 and the dedicated SF stand, both worked just fine, the SF speakers bolt to their stands, though rubber O-rings are used in between the base of the speaker and the top of the stand, the bolts are knurled and should only be tightened 'finger tight'.
I found they worked with nearly any speaker cable and I've always used homemade jumper cables as opposed to the factory supplied links, I did use them with Audionote An-D?? (heavy stranded copper in a blue jacket) , Nordost Blue Heaven biwire , TQ-Black 2 and some inexpensive figure 8 white sheathed stranded copper, a little difference in all of the cables but very minimal.

Thanks Darren L, that's very helpful. Sounds like they are pretty accommodating speakers, so this should be a fun bit of experimentation.

I have noticed so far that the Quad 303 barely gets warm, even when it's pushing the SFs to considerable volume (mid-90s dB peak, much louder than I usually listen). I suppose they can't be all that difficult to drive.

Very curious to try them with the monolithic JVC. Maybe this weekend.

Before ESL63s these were my main speakers for 15 years. While I’m sure they’re great with a 303, you really need more power IMO - an ML No. 29 was my preference (solid 50w into 8 ohms). Fantastic things with PinPoint imaging once brought alive.

I used to have a pair of Concertino Domus and I thought they were fine speakers but never sounded quite right in my room, always a bit too lightweight. When I upgraded I sold them to a friend and in his smaller living room firing across, they worked beautifully.

I ran a pair with NVA mono blocs and they imaged beautifully. Lovely little speaker which I bought and sold for about £350 around 12 years ago

I have tried the venere 1.5, minuettos and still have a pair of the old concertos. They are all really musical speakers. The minuettos had an annoying treble roll off. The mids and treble on the concertos were lovely. I would say try them with all your amps, I never tried valves with mine but for some reason I always wanted to, probably to hear the voices. I would say to be careful with the crossover/banana plug cover as it is very brittle indeed, even be careful when you disconnect the speaker wire.

I haven't heard or owned the Concertino, but had a pair of the original Concertos. I had home demoed the Minuetos, but alas there wasn't a new pair to be bought when I decided I really liked them. SF, particularly from the Serblin era are voiced for a beguiling mid and seductive presentation. They look fantastic with their walnut sides. Most of my Ergo designs pay tribute to the SF classics.

IME the Franco Serblin designed speakers are all pretty similar in their 'voicing' , the Concertos are a bit more expressive in the midrange and might go a little lower than the Concertino but definitely have a family sound, as do the Concerto GP floorstanders.
I've never heard the Minueto but the Minima Amator, Signum and Electa Amator all share the familiar FS voicing and presentation. The only other model I owned from this era was the original Cremona floorstanders, once again they had the familiar and similar FS characteristics, I sometimes wish I held onto them but alas they were just too big for my music room at that time, all great speakers IMHO but I'm not so convinced of the later models after Serblin though I've only tried a pair of Olympica I.

The only other model I owned from this era was the original Cremona floorstanders, [...] I sometimes wish I held onto them but alas they were just too big for my music room at that time, [...]

I sold my Cremona's just before the summer 2022 for a good price. But they now go fo silly money in the Netherlands and so do other SF models. No idea why... I still miss them, they were the best speakers I have ever owned. I fell in love with SF in the 90's solely on their looks. Listened to the Minuetto lots of times, but IMO they weren't that good for other music than soft-pop, jazz and classical. Just too warm. Years later I extensively demoed GP's and these just rocked, fabulous speakers. I have owned EA's for about half a year, but these also weren't very suitable for rock to my ears. So I cannot confirm all (older) SF's sound the same, I certainly had my preferences (for the floorstanders that is).

Still have mine and will never sell them. They’re not my main speakers but do enjoy them when in rotation. Worked best for me with tweeters on the outside (mirror-imaged) with no toe-in. Tried them with all sorts of amps and best for me was a pair of PP 6V6 mono’s, a wood-case Sugden A21, and an Aliexpress-special Icepower ( which you mentioned you own, but I found need to be partnered with a tube preamp). Beguiling mids, as stated by others, and beautiful HF extension when driven by sympathetic amps. I also have a nice Quad 303, but have not tried the combo yet. I’d be interested to hear your impressions.

I use some old vdH or Siltech jumpers that I’ve acquired over the years in preference to the stock copper ones.I find them agnostic when it comes to stands. I’ve used old Chicago Hercules, single-pillar Sound Anchors, and tripod walnut stands commissioned from an Etsy seller. Enjoy them, I consider them modern classics, as with all Serblin Sf designs.

I had a pair way back when they were released. Amazing speakers!
Just buy a 60cm high quality stands and you’re good to go.
They could benefit from the best amp you can offer them. They’re that good.
Congratulations:)

IME the Franco Serblin designed speakers are all pretty similar in their 'voicing' , the Concertos are a bit more expressive in the midrange and might go a little lower than the Concertino but definitely have a family sound, as do the Concerto GP floorstanders.
I've never heard the Minueto but the Minima Amator, Signum and Electa Amator all share the familiar FS voicing and presentation. The only other model I owned from this era was the original Cremona floorstanders, once again they had the familiar and similar FS characteristics, I sometimes wish I held onto them but alas they were just too big for my music room at that time, all great speakers IMHO but I'm not so convinced of the later models after Serblin though I've only tried a pair of Olympica I.
When I had the Concerto, I badly lusted after a pair of Electa Amator 2s. But alas, I could not afford the asking price. So for my 7th Ergo design, I paid tribute to the EA2.

AL9nZEV7bTIP3nFFmieQkpcqfkIO3BCV-WJfWU6b3-ZkSvcH-Xe1sW7vO2HjglpmvsuSgKdzsfi7uVdundanHIt3rw9t8axx_GKolLwzl-XfuCZrLAkBHlQNDz_6rO4KJlcLhNRn7Vj9tD1gVwCcRrfz1F7u=w527-h600-no

In hindsight, I had spent enough money on DIY loudspeakers to buy several pairs of EA2s or close to a Stradivarius.

Good times.

Good looking speakers @James
In the past I did consider and would've quite liked to build my own speakers but for a variety of reasons (mainly time vs money) never got any further than a thought.
I'm a big fan of a bit of DIY and can turn my hand to most things that are involved in building or renovation of a property or building a motorcycle, finishing cabinetry to a high standard is a different challenge.
It would've been pretty easy for me to have had veneered MDF panels cut in a shopfitting workshop but to replicate an EA2 or Cremona cabinet in a hardwood like Walnut would've been more than a bit of a challenge so I've stuck with either buying SF, Diapason or more recently Franco Serblin.

Well, a big weekend of box swapping, and here's the end result:

H7CzP24.md.jpg

Went in to the local audio shop looking for a pair of stands suitable for the Concertinos. Walked out with a new (old) preamp instead. Made in California in the mid-70s by a short-lived company called Quintessence Group. I have it paired with an ICE amp (small silver thing mid-left) and everything sounds great. As a bonus, the phono stage on the new preamp is the best I've owned, and has kicked the Mofi Studio Phono into storage.

Oh, I still don't have stands. Ordered some and they'll be here Saturday.

...a few more details:

Started with the Quad 33/303 combo Sounded good, if a tad bass light. Then went to Quad 33/ICE amp; bass opened up, filled in, tightened. Next, out went the 33, in went the Chinese 6NS7 tube preamp. Midrange got muddled, bass went a tiny bit flubby. Tube pre/Quad 303 was the least pleasant combo to my ears, less sparkle, a bit lifeless, urge to reduce volume.

With the current Quintessence/ICE combo, I get what the Quad 33/ICE combo delivered, just more of it. I've been listening pretty much constantly and am hearing new things on music I know well. Very interesting.

Still need to tidy up the cables when the new stands arrive.

Nothing to add about the speakers but, happy New Year, Kasper.

Hello, Tiger. Hope you're well. The best of ours to you and yours.

advertisement

Back