advertisement

Ever heard of Shungite?

Helen Bach

if it ain't Baroque ...
Ever heard of Shungite? According to Wiki, 'The term "shungite" was originally used in 1879 to describe a mineraloid with more than 98 per cent carbon...' I came across it the other day, and ordered a small quantity for curiosities sake. However, I placed the two small samples on a TiVo box, and low and behold, better sound from the Dacmagic it feeds. So I ordered some Shungite 'tiles', and placed them under and above said Dac. Again, same result! Now I'm not suggesting this Shungite works, but I am hearing a difference for the better. One 'tile' measures just 1 Ohm for nearly 150mm length! About this time, I bought a very cheap phono amplifier, with SMD transistors and class A working. On start up it didn't sound all that great (not surprising for under £30), but after a week away with the thing switched on all the time, I placed another Shungite tile underneath it, and a bag of Shungite powder on top. The little cheap phono amplifier has now replaced my MF phono. Sound is a little sharp, but wearing in nicely. I don't know why the sound has become more coherent, but in addition, it may have affected my amplifiers as well. I run two Cambridge Audio 640Av2 integrated amplifiers, one per side. The left hand amplifier has a habit of distorting due to a poor relay contact, on switch-on. Several input changes usually clears the problem. But since using Shungite, there have been no problems. And the volume imbalance (from the two amplifiers) has gone away, as well. I'm not saying Shungite is responsible for any or all the improvements, I really can't see why it should. All boxes of electronics are well shielded (except the TiVo box). ???

I'm just enjoying the sound of music (I don't believe I have just typed that!) but the Shungite is staying for the moment. Glad you said EMR (or EMI), and not EMF, which is what most of the protagonists write!!!

Last edited:
I guess this may be based on the same principles of Shakti Stones but at a cheaper price level. No problems with experimenting.

I'm not saying it works, or if it does, how it works. All I'm saying is that the sound, to my partner and to me, seems improved on what it was. And I have no reason to burst the bubble which may be illusion. I've just been listening to VW 'Sinfonia Antartica', Barbirolli and the Hallḗ Orchestra and choir, on HMV in mono, and it was glorious, the cold was palpable.

yep, everything seems against it. Most of the Shungite comes from Russia, too, although I managed to get mine from the Ukraine.
Also available (for the time being!) from a UK re-seller and from the US, at a huge postage cost.

Now I'm not suggesting this Shungite works...

Oh yes you are. ;-)

Still, good to see you taking your brave pills and reporting here. Could you dust a USB cable with the stuff and update the thread du'jour accordingly, I'm sure nobody will have a problem with that.

oh no I'm not (' thought Panto time was well past!). I have put Shungite near to various parts of my hifi, and to my partner and me, it sounds better. There is no suggestion of cause and effect, that is just what you have done. Been in science all my life, and I can't explain it. Just remarking on what I've experienced.

And I have just ordered two jute bags full of Shungite sand, to make some Polyester/Shungite mix, which will, hopefully, be a very good damping material.:eek:

oh no I'm not (' thought Panto time was well past!). I have put Shungite near to various parts of my hifi, and to my partner and me, it sounds better. There is no suggestion of cause and effect, that is just what you have done. Been in science all my life, and I can't explain it. Just remarking on what I've experienced.

And I have just ordered two jute bags full of Shungite sand, to make some Polyester/Shungite mix, which will, hopefully, be a very good damping material.:eek:

You're leaning on an open door here. ;-)

I have a long history/shameful track record (it's a matter of one's perspective) of dabbling with the weird and wonderful in times gone by.

advertisement

Back