advertisement

European Elections 2019

kendo

Prussian bot
It will be interesting to see how this election pans out.
A chance for both sides of the brexit debacle to reinforce their viewpoints?
Or a lame duck?
I imagine campaign finances will be very closely scrutinized...

Seriously, we need to return pro-EU candidates. We can't tolerate UKIP having a stronghold on MEPs any more, and the EU would be forgiven for losing patience with the UK if we sent them more than a handful, at most. If we're to send a pro-Remain message, to the guvmint and to the EU, that's how we do it. So people need to get out and vote for pro-EU candidates, whomever they may be.

The problem I see is candidate selection. For anything meaningful to come out you would ideally have Leave candidates running against Remain without dilution. I certainly hope a lot of effort goes in to actually participating this time and ensuring Farage and other wreckers are not elected to reperesent us, it soon happens when Farage stands for Parliament.

So...

Pro-Tory Brexit: Conservative, Labour, Batton’s UKIP/EDL mash-up, Farage/Banks’ Brexit UK.

Remain: SNP, TIGs, Lib Dems, Plaid Cymru, Green.

Those are the ‘sides’, choose wisely!

Don't forget your vote counts in this, so use it wisely.
Personally I'd only vote for a labour candidate that was passionately and idealogically for remain. The labour manifesto is likely to be a fudge and not worth the paper its written on.

I'll be supporting Plaid as their voting record in the HOC speaks for itself.

To my shame I and most people have ignored these in the past and that is partly why we are in this mess. This time not only will I vote but I will (as I did in the GE) use my friends and family social media to get the young vote out. It's dead easy to make a massive impact. I just posted on the family facebook and instagram saying "come on kids this is your chance, contact all your mates and get them to contact their mates. Get out and vote; lets stuff these UKIP twats!"

Can someone point me to a simple description of how the EU elections work? It's some kind of PR, based on the share of the vote? I've always wondered how gobshites like Farage can get in, while they thankfully have no Commons members.

Is it possible to vote tactically with a PR system?

Can someone point me to a simple description of how the EU elections work? It's some kind of PR, based on the share of the vote? I've always wondered how gobshites like Farage can get in, while they thankfully have no Commons members.

Is it possible to vote tactically with a PR system?
Because almost no one votes in the EU elections. So the nutters propelled by nutterdrive are the only ones who got off their arses and voted. That is what must and will change this time.

To my shame I and most people have ignored these in the past and that is partly why we are in this mess. This time not only will I vote but I will (as I did in the GE) use my friends and family social media to get the young vote out. It's dead easy to make a massive impact. I just posted on the family facebook and instagram saying "come on kids this is your chance, contact all your mates and get them to contact their mates. Get out and vote; lets stuff these UKIP twats!"
Yes, I shall be doing exactly this.

I'm voting SNP, I'll be holding my nose but for us here, in Scotland, there isn't another choice if you want to stay in the EU.

People forget but at the time of the referendum the young were not politicised. Do you remember, people were saying they are only interested in their phones and facebook? That has changed. The GE illustrated that with queues at polling stations in university towns. That can and will be harnessed again.

It’s difficult for a remainer in England to find a party to vote for in these elections that will send an unequivocal anti-Brexit message that cannot be ignored. Brexit forces in parliament will explain away support for all of them. Lib Dems? Protest vote, The People are fed up with the main parties dilly-dallying. Greens? Tree huggers. TIG? Anti-Corbyn vote.

I’d like to see Labour take the opportunity to announce a shift in policy or some kind of statement of intent, but I’m not expecting it.

It’s difficult for a remainer in England to find a party to vote for in these elections that will send an unequivocal anti-Brexit message that cannot be ignored. Brexit forces in parliament will explain away support for all of them. Lib Dems? Protest vote, The People are fed up with the main parties dilly-dallying. Greens? Tree huggers. TIG? Anti-Corbyn vote.
Well as the conservatives and UKIP are now one and the same. Anyone else who might win the seat will do for me.

Well as the conservatives and UKIP are now one and the same. Anyone else who might win the seat will do for me.
I couldn’t vote Labour in an EU election unless they adopted a remain position.

I don't use the word 'B@ris'. It lends him a safe jocularity which is undeserved
I take your point, but I couldn’t think of another word that didn’t lead to ambiguity. And ‘On the former Foreign Secretary and inveterate liar’s throat’ was rather long. And didn’t narrow it down very much, either.

advertisement

Back