advertisement

Etiquette - does one mention in public that ones One is on telly?

ian r

401's Nakman
Anxious of Scotland asks about

Monday 4.30

beeb 1

re the MUCH better 2/3rds is on

Im was being a Johhny on that day so do not feature

Close observers will observe a radford sc 22 on a shelf perversely feeding an amstrad min system and spherical chain hung omni speakers as them is redolent of ladyhood!

Flog it? I think etiquette is out the window, more down to embarrassment factor. Is OH an expert or a punter?

Martin

My 2/3rds better half is on

Re other comments ..

its telly
its BBC 1

Sounds like u watch tv
and say this is crap
Gracias

Personally thats why I dont have a tv set up to watch it on but will fiddle with the dish ( presently an unaligned satellite broadband high spec solid dish good for our hilly area) and use the freecycle sky box. I bought a tv balun with 4 outs and have pulled a tube telly out of the caravan

Does anyone know if I need to renew the sky card in the sky box?
the card is in my name I just never used it,
It will be a shame if I get the hardware sorted and yet have no active card?

Is one supposed to pay £20 a year to sky for freesat etc?

"He's from Barcelona"

Can you just ask a straight forward question and I'm sure you will get an answer or the help you need, random statements make absolutely no sense to me.

Re other comments ..

its telly
its BBC 1

Sounds like u watch tv
and say this is crap
Gracias

I do watch TV (not Fug it tho I have brushed past so to speak) not saying its crap, just mindless daytime telly stuff, plenty like it, who am I etc.

damit u've got me postin like U

Does anyone know if I need to renew the sky card in the sky box?
the card is in my name I just never used it,
It will be a shame if I get the hardware sorted and yet have no active card?

Nope should werk, I have ebay skybox with no card and gets several FTA channels

Is one supposed to pay £20 a year to sky for freesat etc?

narp - but if you do you get a few xtra channs - not worth bothering with tho

yep, as cutting42 says you should get all the free to air channels (BBC, ITV, C4, C5 etc) even without a viewing card. HD on those channels should work too if you have an HD box.

Thanks for the succinct answers, obviously i have little idea what Im on about as there has never been satllite telly here before. It will be iffy due to line of sight issues and hills and trees so it maybe below par but at least we can watch. Very few of my close friends have telly, but I spose neighbours will be the fallback if we cant get a pic
My own efforts to align the dish minus a meter prooved fruitless and I phoned up various firms - as follows

£60/day mate from the local firm,
£54 from another
and £25 from a local firm in the other direction

He will come Monday Morn which cuts his time tight.

No we do not have HD - just an ancient cathode ray 'tube' telly.

I assume HD is just digi thing

I dont like digi tellys much as to my eyes they look badly 'sharpened' photos via photoshop and I havent watched much of elsewhere it for that reason - quite apart from the issues of pointless programs

The production team and Paul Martin himself were all really kind and normal not media wallys and in so far as poss given what filming means - sensitive to our needs.

Paul Martin is I believe trying to give the program some more depth by visiting real artists and makers who are preserving the tradition or creating antiques for the future and squeezing this into the 'what you gonna do with the money?' he is scripted with.

We liked him a lot and they have done everything they said they would in various regards. We hope he comes back for a plan b of his.

He is no fraud and is clearly knowledgeable about the trade and antiques buz

I know the program is annoying but I believe he does too - but daytime telly and its matket being what it is .... nuff said

I read the OP, tried in vain to interpret it. Failed. Thought it might be written in a language other than English, Failed. Tried Klingon, Failed. Finally in desperation I passed it through my universal translator that I bought at a Star Trek convention many moons ago. Failed.

So I gave up. :D

Now all I have to do is record it in digi format. We have dvd recorder to watch films on but I have never recorded anything with it

I'm fairly certain I have the write DVD media for it to work but will check.

At a guess I assume a scart goes from the skybox to the dvd recoder to the telly.

Will I need posh software to crop the recording down to the relevant 10 minutes for the website?

Hmm thats and idea - I dont watch much on line vid as the satellite based internet is so slow it buffers but this is an obvious exception

Is _iplayer a browser add on

My advice is to just go next door and tell them and ask if you can watch it there. You don't need to keep it. You'll never watch it again.

My sister often pops up on TV, but I've only ever watched her once. She is going to be on again on Christmas Eve apparently, but I don't know what she's on or what it's about. It's just a job.

In plain English - do you want a programme on Monday coming recorded, and cropped to 10min of the segment that's of interest to you, then put on DVD?

1.Thanks - non U I suppose.

2. Our Farming Neighbours are some miles away, never been invited inside in 30 years!

3. we do have a dvd player and recorder and of course computers so we do watch dvds.

4. No like a wedding film we maynot watch it again but as an artist everytime it is broadcast she will receive increased DACs payments

5. The idea behind cropping it is to install it on the wifes website which has real impact on her income stream and kudos, So it is a big deal for us to see our life and fields etc
on the box

4. Yes in plain english we hope to obtain a digi copy of what i think is a 10 minute piece and yes we will ask for a dvd - they loved the fact we dont have the telly! I suppose my ? about extracting the segment was to figure out what sotware I need to crop it

5. We do our best, and even on this thread some are dismissive of this person so being found by some 20 glossy magazines etc and now the Beeb is really helpful to our sense of achievment.
Living where we do and making any living from our land and lifestyle is a major achievment. I am proud of My long sufferring wife and yes we try to live simply as regards consumerism

Even without a telly or any interest in drone media curiously the world comes to our door

Which is amazing, She has a show in .... er Philadelphia opening tonite

which is also a reason to be grateful. Thanks for the help

I don't think people are being dismissive it's just that you can be somewhat confusing sometimes.

PM or post the details and I'll see if I can record it off iplayer and burn it onto a DVD for you, am happy to post it to wherever.

Thats very kind of you our max download spped is 512k

Is it John Lebowski ? I am frequently at a loss with the 'logic' of these times and values and perhaps come over as priggish/preachy when being colluquial here

To the majority it seems like idiocy to work against the Matrix and follow an economic path that does not give succour to those suckered into it

and yes I do wish to see an end to the Matrix - and yet curiously its main tool - ie media loves us and definitely assists our 'off grid' income stream = ie too little to pay income tax. So much of our life can seem perverse being opposed to the monster and yet it seeking us out.

Anyway I hope the preachy asides didnt bore to much - as I mentioned in 4. above they have said they will send one after the first broadcast - which we hope will be one of many repeats.

So we will get a copy sometime and hope we can get something on't telly at least on the day. My main interest is that she gets to see herself on the box when its broadcast and in the needed software for cropping the bulk of the show which needs removing for website.Theres a lot of vid there already but this is telly!

Thanks again for the offer but at present I believe we are on target - before forcing you to flog it.

If it looks iffy on the day may I come back to you?

advertisement

Back