advertisement

Ethernet to optical

Hmmm, more research methinks.
As for Cat6e with the Ubiquiti, it's quoted as a requirement to ensure best performance ( by several companies here ).
If you already have Cat5e cabling I wouldn’t rip it out and replace it with Cat6 unless you need to, for example you must have 10Gbps transfer speeds rather than 1Gbps (which is fine for most home scenarios).

If you are cabling from scratch may as well go Cat6 (there is no official Cat 6e ratified standard but some firms use the term so they can sell normal 6 and charge more). There is also Cat 6a - better crosstalk and higher frequency but it’s overkill for a house and a bugger to bend so harder to flex around corners.

As far as Ubiquiti, everyones mileage varies and we all have preferred kit we deploy, I have hundreds of Ubiquiti devices operating just fine and dandy in houses, mansions, offices, hotels and castles.

I run an Etherregen switch with a very short cable into my DAC/amp. Got a small uptick in quality putting a cisco2960 switch in front of that and running optical cable between the 2. I have a 20m cat 6 cable from my modem to the cisco.

As I have posted beforem I have a similar set up and use an optical cable from the Cisco into the Etherregen. *Howver* there was no audible difference between Cat6e and Optical - but Optical is easier to run, and might be 'better; for a very long run

advertisement

Back