advertisement

Ethernet Sockets

It was just to illustrate what the other side of the socket looks like, but good point, it's a mess and it's wired wrong too - not a great example. It probably works though ;)

Thats a really bad example, lol.

Whilst you can get systems that allow you to push connections together, in general you need a cron tool. Perhaps once mullardman has settled on his choices he should post here so we can check.

The only reason to use Cat6 is if you think you'll one day get 10 gig ethernet over copper at home. The standard has been out for years (something like 15 years) but it's basically not got adopted, so no equipment includes this. Anything that does run 10 gig is typically over SFP+ connectors, which are optical based for any length > 5m, and although it's a great standard, go check out the prices of SFP+ switches and you'll see that it's aimed squarely at datacentres, and there is no real home market for this stuff.

So i'd say go with Cat5e, the cable is cheaper, and thinner so easier to install. Saying that, if you do go with Cat6 there is no downside once you've paid and installed it, since it's compatible with everything Cat5e covers, it's just I think it's a waste of time as I stick with what I know.

The only reason to use Cat6 is if you think you'll one day get 10 gig ethernet over copper at home. The standard has been out for years (something like 15 years) but it's basically not got adopted, so no equipment includes this.
A lot of high-end workstation / small server boards have copper 10G Ethernet ports, often dual.

When we did the equivalent job a couple of years ago we ran the cable through brush plates in the wall. For the longest run, the cable goes from the router to a switch, rather than a socket. We then put in small patch cables (50cm) from the well placed switch (attached to the skirting board behind the stand with sky box, Apple TV, etc) to the devices that need it. It was less faff than wiring sockets, and one connection less between the router and the device. For other places it’s a small cable from the router to a switch, then a long cable to another switch and out from there to the device.

A lot of high-end workstation / small server boards have copper 10G Ethernet ports, often dual.

Well that's changed then. I've tended to use HP workstations and rack mount servers, and they were always limited to 1gig with SFP+ cards for higher speeds. I've yet to see a 10gig copper switch, maybe that's going to change at some point?

Meanwhile, my home network is Cat5e and has been for 15 years, and i've yet to feel limited by it. Do you have any 10gig links (as in, machine to switch running at that speed?)

Well that's changed then. I've tended to use HP workstations and rack mount servers, and they were always limited to 1gig with SFP+ cards for higher speeds. I've yet to see a 10gig copper switch, maybe that's going to change at some point?
I see plenty of choices at the usual retailers, none of them cheap, though.

Meanwhile, my home network is Cat5e and has been for 15 years, and i've yet to feel limited by it. Do you have any 10gig links (as in, machine to switch running at that speed?)
I have only one 10G capable system, so no. Unlike you, I do perceive 1G Ethernet to be annoyingly slow at times. Not most of the time, but now and again.

For just two of those metz connectors you can buy the right tool to make you own plus 50 connectors :rolleyes:

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.

advertisement

Back