advertisement

Ethernet Audio Cables - really??

What happens in the case of USB Asynchronous?
The file transmission to the device is still TCP/IP protocol, the 'asynchronous' part is that the device in question has a buffer...however that concept is usually between the streamer (FTP recipient) and the DAC, and has no effect on the 'IT' aspects of reliable file transfer in the context of the streamer/client to server...Asynchronous/Synchronous data transmission is only relevant in the context of the PCM/DSD stream bertween your client and your DAC...

The file transmission to the device is still TCP/IP protocol, the 'asynchronous' part is that the device in question has a buffer...however that concept is usually between the streamer (FTP recipient) and the DAC, and has no effect on the 'IT' aspects of reliable file transfer in the context of the streamer/client to server...Asynchronous/Synchronous data transmission is only relevant in the context of the PCM/DSD stream bertween your client and your DAC...

But is there error detection and retransmission?

But is there error detection and retransmission?
In short yes...the data will always get through 'bit perfect' (assuming the correct configuration)

I have an asynchronous MDAC (L2 Toy upgrade) fed by an SBTouch, I can test for 'Bit Perfect' with some test files...I can get bit perfect results via various connections, a cheap USB cable, a more expensive one, then with a USB isolator (iFi USB3)...getting the data bit perfect to your DAC is not difficult IMHO, isolating your DAC from RF interference from a hard wired USB cable is where the benefits have occurred in my system...probably all very DAC dependant

In short yes...the data will always get through 'bit perfect' (assuming the correct configuration)

I have an asynchronous MDAC (L2 Toy upgrade) fed by an SBTouch, I can test for 'Bit Perfect' with some test files...I can get bit perfect results via various connections, a cheap USB cable, a more expensive one, then with a USB isolator (iFi USB3)...getting the data bit perfect to your DAC is not difficult IMHO, isolating your DAC from RF interference from a hard wired USB cable is where the benefits have occurred in my system...probably all very DAC dependant

Thanks!

The OP himself has stated previously that his new SSD-based NAS sounds better than his old one, so I'm not sure he's entirely in a position to poke fun at audiophile ethernet cables.

That seems reasonable - an SSD will never give the 12Hz flutter that you will get from a conventional 7200rpm disc if it is out of balance.

Never knew such an thing/issue existed Barry but could be a reason. I moved to SSD coz i was building a new, much more powerful NAS. the old one was QNAP TS214, built a QNAP TS251+, found some 980GB Sandisk Ultra II's going for £145 each so was a no brainer. The NAS also has 8GB RAM and a 2Ghz celeron Intel quadcore proccessor... This was over a year ago, luckily roon server software i bought last months requires such a well spec'd NAS to run at its full potential. They even say SSD are better and ideally the NAS should have an i3/i5 processor.

USB audio does not not use TCP/IP. The asynchronous part means that the receiving device controls the flow of data from the sending device.

USB has several modes. The mode used for USB audio has error detection but not error correction.

TCP is useful when the interconnecting network gives the possibility or likelihood of packet-loss (usually due to whole packet-loss due to congestion, rather than bit-level corruption) or re-ordering* (very rare nowadays, except due to occasional re-routing events as different routers may be brought up or down by the network operator).

But only an exceptionally badly designed or faulty 1 metre (or so) USB cable should give any possibility of packet-loss or bit corruption, so error-correction is not needed.

* - Of course, manufacturers of expensive "audiograde" servers would have you believe computer networks are bedevilled by these sorts of problems

TCP is useful when the interconnecting network gives the possibility or likelihood of packet-loss (usually due to whole packet-loss due to congestion, rather than bit-level corruption) or re-ordering* (very rare nowadays, except due to occasional re-routing events as different routers may be brought up or down by the network operator).

But only an exceptionally badly designed or faulty 1 metre (or so) USB cable should give any possibility of packet-loss or bit corruption, so error-correction is not needed.

* - Of course, manufacturers of expensive "audiograde" servers would have you believe computer networks are bedevilled by these sorts of problems
I'm surprised anyone bothers with that rubbish when the next-gen jitter nonsense and the blah blah something to do with noise on the groundplane thing had been invented to justify the need for new and/or expensive products. But imagining that you need foo to reduce bit errors is a good starting point.

I'm surprised anyone bothers with that rubbish when the next-gen jitter nonsense and the blah blah something to do with noise on the groundplane thing had been invented to justify the need for new and/or expensive products. But imagining that you need foo to reduce bit errors is a good starting point.

What is the cheapest streamer/ DAC combination that, in your opinion, is as good as it gets sound quality wise?

(Connected with cheap as chips cables I'd guess)

Don't know for sure. But I have difficulty finding anything much wrong with my squeezebox touch which I use in the study at home. I also have a focusrite forte (also an adc) which seems pretty much as good as anything. If something can perform correctly to 16 bit level then that's probably good enough. Any bit perfect streamer is fine, but should be judged on the quality of its features and ui
I will confess to quite enjoying the pride of ownership of really well engineered products though. However i do not attribute that pleasure to the sound pressure waves.

Don't know for sure. But I have difficulty finding anything much wrong with my squeezebox touch which I use in the study at home. I also have a focusrite forte (also an adc) which seems pretty much as good as anything. If something can perform correctly to 16 bit level then that's probably good enough. Any bit perfect streamer is fine, but should be judged on the quality of its features and ui
I will confess to quite enjoying the pride of ownership of really well engineered products though. However i do not attribute that pleasure to the sound pressure waves.
Cheers!

advertisement

Back