advertisement

Ethernet and coaxial cables

What is certain is that the shielded version gives very strong immunity to RF interference and ESD. I have a German test lab report comparing cat 5e shielded and UTP. The UTP is "fragile"
HQPlayer, Linn, dCS all recommend against using shielded cables.
I know the former performs very extensive measurements so I will go with that as evidence.

The worrying test was ESD. The test was contact discharge, the sort of spark you get on a dry day from wearing artificial fibres. The LAN port connected to the UTP cable was destroyed.

I have also had several LAN ports with UTP spoiled in installations after a lightning strike nearby. Shielded cable tested totally immune to ESD and surge

I think the issue is correct installation. Unshielded cable is easy to install correctly. Shielded cable incorrectly installed can end up causing earth loops increasing noise.

The worrying test was ESD. The test was contact discharge, the sort of spark you get on a dry day from wearing artificial fibres. The LAN port connected to the UTP cable was destroyed.

We're clearly in desperate need of a range of audiophile garments made from natural fibres.

"Swapping my polyester shirt for this £2000 Nordost cotton t-shirt has been a revelation! Inky blackness, night and day etc etc"

I currently run a node2 into a chord 2 qute DAC which goes to my marantz model 30 amp . Do any of you use a higher quality ethernet cable currently just a basic Amazon cable. Coaxial is a qed silver reference cable . Just wondering f making a change is worthwhile
Try getting something in a more AW23 colour. I'm thinking neutrals, but maybe with a pop of colour somewhere. Don't knock it without trying. There will be people who try to tell you tha tthe colour of the cable doesn't matter but only you can decide, so make sure you try them all.

I have Amazon basics Ethernet cables in my Mac mini ~ switch ~ Lyngdorf Tdai 3400 Digital system and it sounds great.

I would happily do a comparison with higher quality cables and a couple of PFM members here at home sometime.

I bought a load of cat8 from Amazon UGREEN stuff to connect router to Cisco switch and peripherals - does the placebo effect occur visually as I swear the streaming of films has improved - watching Avatar for example the picture just popped on an 75”

I have also had several LAN ports with UTP spoiled in installations after a lightning strike nearby. Shielded cable tested totally immune to ESD and surge

I'd never heard of either hapening before, but it's a valid argument.

I bought a load of cat8 from Amazon UGREEN stuff to connect router to Cisco switch and peripherals - does the placebo effect occur visually as I swear the streaming of films has improved - watching Avatar for example the picture just popped on an 75”

Indeed it does - spent several years of my working life trying to minimise the issues it can cause in research projects…

advertisement

Back