advertisement

Erin’s Audio Corner test of KEF LS60

The measurements look good at sensible listening levels.
I just don't want the active approach that means a failed driver could be really expensive

My biggest concern would be the low and high frequency power compression measured and discussed around the 20 minute mark.

My biggest concern would be the low and high frequency power compression measured and discussed around the 20 minute mark.
LF compression is inevitable in a small speaker where heavy eq is used to flatten/extend the bass response. To play loudly without activating the limiters subs will be needed.

I was pretty amazed he really rated these...£95 each! Thomann's own brand.... Swisstony.

I think Erin's a brilliant reviewer, insightful and methodical. I will watch the KEF video later.

16966736_800.jpg

They also make a an Active 3 way speaker 8 inch woofer 4 inch mid, for £230 each! Makes the prices of hifi look a bit daft....
17762564_800.jpg

The measurements look good at sensible listening levels.
I just don't want the active approach that means a failed driver could be really expensive
Why? Barring a few very rare exceptions like MFB models, a driver is a driver - it doesn’t know if it’s being used actively or passively!

The LS60 looks from every pic i’ve seen that a small child or medium dog could send them tumbling unless of course the base is very heavy!

I've always thought about turntable users with wireless systems and the AD/DA conversion during the process. Not for purists I'd imagine

Last edited:
Why? Barring a few very rare exceptions like MFB models, a driver is a driver - it doesn’t know if it’s being used actively or passively!
Because a dead driver kills a very expensive all in one package.
Secondly, I have modified the passive crossover of an old speaker to tune it for a replacement tweeter, where the original units are not available. Possible with an opamp based active, not so easy with a DSP crossover

Because a dead driver kills a very expensive all in one package.
Secondly, I have modified the passive crossover of an old speaker to tune it for a replacement tweeter, where the original units are not available. Possible with an opamp based active, not so easy with a DSP crossover
Matters are not always so straightforward.

Certain companies will not sell the end user replacement drivers so the speaker has to be shipped back for repair anyway. Then there are speakers for which drivers are no longer available. e.g bass units for the Spendor BC -1 or tweeters for KEF 105.4 or 105.2. Yes, one could redo the crossover when using a replacement driver, but is the speaker the same anymore? I mean is a BC-1 with a replacement bass unit still a BC-1? That is a philosophical question…..

Last edited:

advertisement

Back