advertisement

Erics Liverpool

jack8000

pfm Member
Sorting some stuff out in the loft today and came across this...........not a bad line up, a bit pricey though!

2018-02-13_15.29.54.jpg

Indeed. Being a mere youngster my memories are of the slightly later rebirth as Brady’s, which was still great. I’d have loved to have been an active gig-goer in the Eric’s period as every flier I’ve seen is as good as the one above. Just week after week of now legendary bands on the ascendency.

PS Jaki Florek’s Liverpool Eric’s book really is a wonderful thing, Amazon’s pricing bot thinks so too (link).

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
I went to at least one off that list that I can remember but maybe a few others........don't recall being a member but I know they used to allow members in for free to new and upcoming bands. Not sure what year that newsletter is from, 1978????

Excellent. I would say that list was from 1976, as I’m sure I still have a poster somewhere for the Planet Gong gig/tour of that year (see if I can dig it out).

FWIW, Roger Eagle used to do DJ sets at Eric’s. I remember him playing a cassette of Beefheart’s original Bat Chain Puller Downstairs at Eric’s at a National Health gig (!), which officially never saw the light of day until Zappa was dead. It is also assumed that Eagle was the source for the Bootlegs of Bat Chain Puller, and I believe for the Captain’s first ever art exhibition at the Blue Coat Chambers. Roger Eagle was a mover and shaker if there ever was one, and responsible for so much music culture in Liverpool in the 60s and 70s.

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/liverpool-news/life-story-liverpool-music-legend-3341111

I met him once at Probe records near the University, I was about 15. We asked to hear Uncle Meat and he obliged, then proceeded to tell us he’d met Suzie Creamcheese. Of course we never believed him, but turns out it was true........

If I could pick two it would be Wire and Magazine, if I could avoid one it would be Whitesnake!

If I could pick two it would be Wire and Magazine, if I could avoid one it would be Whitesnake!

Whitesnake in 78 were very much more a blues band (and quite raw), as opposed to their polished later stuff. 1978 was the first year that Coverdale could perform again after finally being released from his contractual obligations with Deep Purple.

Interesting that Bernie Torme was also playing on his own (and for free), a couple of years later he was the guitarist in the Ian Gillan Band (keeping up all the Deep Purple connections)

The Erics book looks interesting, must keep an eye open for a reasonably priced copy! Don't know a great deal about Roger Eagle but seems like he was a real force at the time, it would be good to read the full story.

I had a look on setlist and it's quite amazing to see the number of bands that played Erics and the wide range of genres. I do recall retrieving a Stanley Clarke poster from Erics, now if I can find that I would be very happy!

It's actually an Erics newsletter that I kept......probably because there are signatures on the newsletter. It's definitely 1978 (marked faintly on newsletter with pencil). Anyway here are the screenshots.....the membership information is interesting having to be proposed and seconded! Also set of Crawler signatures without Paul Kossoff unfortunately:(

2018-02-14_11.58.08.jpg
2018-02-14_11.58.20.jpg
2018-02-14_11.58.29.jpg
2018-02-14_11.58.49.jpg

2018-02-14_11.58.40.jpg

Some of the early gigs were 50p entrance for members, I'm sure one of the photos in the Erics book has the back of my head in it while I was at the bar, if so then it's one of my few claims to fame :)
The main guy who did the DJing now works as a porter at the World Museum in Liverpool.

The main guy who did the DJing now works as a porter at the World Museum in Liverpool.

So that would be Norman Killon? I think his involvement at the museum is more involved than porter. I remember Norman working at Probe, mostly in the Whitechapel shop in the mid to late 70s. I think he tolerated us, even went as far as providing me with a copy of Faust Transparent when it was a hard to find import - much to his disgust.

Anyhow, here are more photos of bands playing at Eric's (their apostrophe). Norman, for those that used to buy their records at Probe in the 70s, is in photo 14 in his present day role:

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/wha...y/nostalgia-erics-club-mathew-street-13190809

Anyone recognise themselves? Don't be shy..........

advertisement

Back