advertisement

Ergo E-IX owners' club

Thank you for the article link and the preceding tips. This will be very helpful. And please do make the design available if you find it. Thanks again!
Here is a picture of the E-VII pair.

AM-JKLXlxmekbMALuEhuBnvSiiNcWRB4Wy-FI1A2tTCZu2eij85LKCLaLkrL14VQIWx8MM8LYW-5xauYNFdPAadCBMC5qT0BkPZgFGGXNuiJ4Z1ksStPgA1KYueP766x5jZrSsdzsnOZ0DporwaZMo_mQH-e=w527-h600-no

It is a slightly more complicated build than the E-IX.

Beautiful work, James. And thank you for sharing. I suspect mine will be more conventional and boxy looking. Yours are a work of art. And I will also use the CAT378 tweeter with LR4xover. If that tweeter was good enough for the E9.... besides, those SS tweeters are expensive and I already have the Morels!

Last edited:
Stunning, frankly. I would love to try those.
They were my tribute to the Sonus Faber Electa Amator II. I could not afford the real thing at the time. Sadly, and very much regrettably, I sold them to make space for other Ergo designs.

James, It seems the 18w/8535-00 is unavailable nowadays but the ...-01 is. Is it a drop in replacement and are you able to locate the cabinet plans/dimensions from the original thread that are gone now?

I drove my Ergo IX with Avondale QUDOS/VBE Voyagers, then upgraded to Avondale NCC300 monos. The Ergo IX can be very forward, and the Avondale amps are very engaging, which sometimes seems like a bit too much muchness. :D

Today I tried the Neurochrome Modulus-686 that I just finished building. It's a less punchy amp, and seems to balance the Ergo IX quite nicely. We'll see what I think of it after a few days in the saddle.

James, It seems the 18w/8535-00 is unavailable nowadays but the ...-01 is. Is it a drop in replacement and are you able to locate the cabinet plans/dimensions from the original thread that are gone now?
The -01 variant is close enough to the -00 variant to be a direct drop-in. I never documented the cabinet plans, but you should be able to work out the relative dimensions to make up the 20L of enclosed volume.

I drove my Ergo IX with Avondale QUDOS/VBE Voyagers, then upgraded to Avondale NCC300 monos. The Ergo IX can be very forward, and the Avondale amps are very engaging, which sometimes seems like a bit too much muchness. :D

Today I tried the Neurochrome Modulus-686 that I just finished building. It's a less punchy amp, and seems to balance the Ergo IX quite nicely. We'll see what I think of it after a few days in the saddle.
I'm surprised you find the E-IX too forward. Did you build the XO yourself, and what value resistor have you used for the tweeter?

I'm surprised you find the E-IX too forward. Did you build the XO yourself, and what value resistor have you used for the tweeter?
It's the near-wall version from Stefan's group buy. As you know, the midrange sizzle of those induces some to transition the crossover to the free space specs. :)

I can't hear any sizzle with my free space version ;)
FWIW I also built the free space variants and they sound great to me. Detailed but not too forward. And they are used in quasi free space. But then again, maybe my old ears are imparting a built in level shift at the higher frequencies. I would not be surprised.

Last edited:
I had some early difficulty with forwardness on the speakers BUT after really running them in they settled and are now absolutely delightful. I did change the resistor during running in but went back to the standard setup and better for it. I have to say the thought of some Ergo E-V11 look attractive. Some drawings would be nice as those cabinets look a bit tricky to guess dimensions.

James, How would the E-VII's cope with close to the wall positioning? Where I would want to position them is in a 5m x 3m room firing down the length and in this room I cannot have the speakers out in free space. I have a 250 Naim with Teddy Pardoe tweaks so I guess enough power for the E-VII's
I was having a look at the Sonus Faber Electra Amator 11 . They appear to have a second drive unit firing backwards presumably as additional bass resonator. That looks like an interesting idea for more bass response out of a small cabinet. No idea how you go about incorporating that into a crossover however.

Last edited:
James, How would the E-VII's cope with close to the wall positioning? Where I would want to position them is in a 5m x 3m room firing down the length and in this room I cannot have the speakers out in free space. I have a 250 Naim with Teddy Pardoe tweaks so I guess enough power for the E-VII's
I designed the E-VII for free space, so it's likely to be bass heavy close to walls or corners. Free-space doesn't necessarily mean middle of the room. But they should be at least a metre away from any boundary.

I was having a look at the Sonus Faber Electra Amator 11 . They appear to have a second drive unit firing backwards presumably as additional bass resonator. That looks like an interesting idea for more bass response out of a small cabinet. No idea how you go about incorporating that into a crossover however.
The Amator II has an auxiliary bass radiator, which is basically an unpowered woofer tuned with a specific mass to mimic the function of a bass reflex port (but without the disadvantages of chuffing and spurious noise emanating from within the cabinet into the room). The crossover won't affect how ABRs work, but the use of ABRs must be designed around the woofer and intended cabinet volume. In terms of bass response, you *can* get more, but the roll-off below cut-off will be much steeper. I prefer the gentler roll-off of sealed systems, as they tend to complement room gain more evenly.

advertisement

Back