advertisement

Epos ES14's and the search for the Holy Grail

Not so, they are capable of excellent results. They are very revealing though so setup and what is upstream of them is critical.

Were you going to "refurbish"/upgrade yours - I vaguely remember something from a few months ago? If so how did you get on? In due course I will do the caps and checkout the MKII's I have so any tips would be welcome.

Cheers

Ian

If you guys put this amount of effort into tuning a decent pair of speakers imagine the results!

Actually the effort has been minimal - so far the "make do" gaskets cost £0.00 and the new ones will be around £4.00, the caps were around £10 I think and the wax to polish them up was here anyway. OK it took a couple of hours to do, but that's a lot less time than seeking out replacements etc.

So, all in all, it's been quite interesting, I've learn't a little and practiced my soldering skills so not really a chore.

And now I've practiced on these I might even be brave enough to have a go at some "decent" speakers one day! Just need to find a pair!

Cheers

Ian

Very Interesting - I wish I'd thought to ask prior to starting my little project!

I should have taken photos of the internals - I'll try to do better next time - but will need to get my act together!

And I'm not going to show any of my soldering!!!!!

Cheers

Ian

I'll shed some light on the wood, Cherry is much lighter when freshly cut, and mellows to a darker colour, Walnut goes the other way, very dark freshly cut but gets lighter with age, one more photo of the bottom of the speakers should show this to be correct (my fingers crossed:)

Thanks Mark,

I can finally confirm that mine are walnut after all - the base is darker with less lustre, shine and colour. I've been wondering about that since I got them! Cheers.

I guess that might confirm that they're all walnut then!? They seem to show quite a surprising amount of variation in colour.

Yanntoe, I have no idea if they're MK1 or 2, I took a punt on an Ebay pair with no photograph , I've spoken to the seller, and he assures me they're in good nick, and are being posted with stands, so fingers crossed.

These speakers, being 20-25 years old have been subject to all sorts of light levels and sunlight, I would imagine no 2 pairs are the same colour, at least they don't have the 'bikini line' where grills have been left on over veneer.

I've got some Rosewood SL6S', and that veneer is still very striking and pronounced, given a choice , that would be mine.

Depends which bit you are drawn to. The mid-band is neigh unbeatable. The Bass is good enough but the treble is as rough as a hedgehog's hole.

Depends which bit you are drawn to. The mid-band is neigh unbeatable. The Bass is good enough but the treble is as rough as a hedgehog's hole.

Wrong there too I'm afraid. The later MK2 has a less good tweeter and can sound thin and spitty over time I agree and have experienced.

The MK1 I have sound totally different. Natural and properly integrated with the 'neigh unbeatable' midrange!

I won't ask how you come to know the intimate characteristics of the hedgehog. Depends which bit you are drawn to I suppose.?....oh these ES14 debates run and run!

Their, I mean there you go; that's just me always wrong. Now let me put you on to some very special Hedgehogs- pm me for details.

Their, I mean there you go; that's just me always wrong. Now let me put you no to some very special Hedgehogs- pm me for details.

There, I've corrected it.......my wife is always correcting me for that! Thanks. G

Well done good man. You must be well over 50 if you can't hear how splashy and fizzy that tweeter is.

OK- I'm an even older duffer than you. I'm always on the verge of buying another pair of 14s and will go for the MK 1 next time (thanks for the tip). The last two pairs have been MK 2s. I currently run Neat Vito Ultimatum SEs which were not quite as good side by side as the 14s in the midband but better overall. Only 8 times the price!

OK- I'm an even older duffer than you. I'm always on the verge of buying another pair of 14s and will go for the MK 1 next time (thanks for the tip). The last two pairs have been MK 2s. I currently run Neat Vito Ultimatum SEs which were not quite as good side by side as the 14s in the midband but better overall. Only 8 times the price!

If you can find a serial number around the 2000's these are the last of the best iteration. The tweeter was complicated to manufacture and when MS took over Epos they 'streamlined' production to meet demand. Read in to that what you will.

Avoid the bi-wire, dust cone MDF ones. G

advertisement

Back