advertisement

Epos ES14 (MK1) equal or better out there?

On the question of the Snell J, who did design the J/II. From what you say about Kevin Voecks not being responsible, I guess that it must have been the J/III that I heard.[/QUOTE]

Peter Snell, I believe.

KV took over Snell design after Peter's untimely passing, and revamped the range.

The last of the J's had a Vifa tweeter in place of the Tonegen, and doubtless other mods. I've owned a pair of J/III's, but have had nothing but a quick listen to their predecessor, as part of the Audio Innovations/Voyd/Snell trilogy.

401s have a slightly boomy bass and plenty of it. ES14s have pretty tight and tuneful bass, but not much of it. ES14s have a more immediate sound and 401s have a wonderful room filling effect. Both are great speakers when driven properly.
There are (a few) greater things out there though. IMO.

Which I suppose was my original question - the greater (or equal) things out there circa £2k stand mount? G

I've heard a lot of ES14's over the years. I've owned them twice. The bass can be tuned anywhere from lacking in bottom end and as dry as a witches tit to overblown and boomy depending on the version, the port tuning, siting and room interaction. They are like many speakers somewhat of a moving target.

Certainly Andrew's don't sound boomy, but they aren't as tight as Ynwans, despite being the same version, driven by the same amps- room interactions abound.

Which I suppose was my original question - the greater (or equal) things out there circa £2k stand mount? G

Already answered in post 91. Unfotunatley you have to build them and then to hear what they can really do you need to actively cross them over to a very high perfomace bass system. In addition, Naim amps (not tried the > £5K ones) are not good enough to get the best form them. All IMO of course.

The comparison between Briks and ES14s is interesting. If, like me, you're interested in voices and vocals, I expect you to prefer the ES14 which has a far, far more lifelike reproduction of vocal inflection, consonants and the like, text intellegibility is far better. If you are interested in big, enveloping sound, with good bass extension and often excellent room integration, the Brik has its charms.

Personally, I think both designs sound rather dated today. drive unit technology has moved on considerably (even though the ES14 bass/mid driver was a superb construction for its day, I'm sure that a thorough Klippel analysis would find a lot of areas where it can be outdone by reasonably cheap contemporary drivers).

(even though the ES14 bass/mid driver was a superb construction for its day, I'm sure that a thorough Klippel analysis would find a lot of areas where it can be outdone by reasonably cheap contemporary drivers).

Great. But who is building them into a complete loudspeaker to equal or better the 14? I'm genuinely interested in a home bake-off! G

I stopped using my 14s when I made up the old WAD KLS8 kit loudspeaker.10 inch Audax pro bass unit and horn loaded Audax soft dome tweeter, made the 14s sound small in comparison .

If you think the treble is a bit rough with ES14s you haven't heard Briks.

That's the nasty Linn crossover IMO - my Briks (with rebuilt x-overs) sound extended and transparent with no roughness with whatever music you shove through them.

mat

advertisement

Back