advertisement

Epos ES11 issue

snaphappybob

pfm Member
Hola folks,
I have a pair of ES11s powered by a NAP140 via a NAC102.
They sound great except at moderate to high volume there's a distortion, like a rattle or a buz.
I'm loathe to part with them 1. because I'm low on funds and 2. because I really like their sound.
Has anyone else had similar issues with the same speakers? If so are there any easy fixes?
They are cosmetically in great condition with no visible clues to this issue.
Any advice gratefully received.
Rob

Have you tried tightening up the screws on the outer drive units?

If it isn't that, it could be the problem I had with my ES14's which required gluing of some description internally due to something coming loose.

Sounds like the voicecoil has become detached on the bass/mid driver. It's repair or source some more drivers I'm afraid.

Yes, I think is is as Andrew says above, the voicecoil has become detached :). Spares have long since run out for the ES11 (and ES14) and the cheapest solution is probably to buy another pair.

As above but sometimes the front baffle on these can become a little loose and vibrate.Try tightening but not too much as you can break the inner fastening.

Have you swapped the speakers over ? Very small chance it could be the amp ? OK , tiny chance.
Great little speakers.

Have you swapped the speakers over ? Very small chance it could be the amp ? OK , tiny chance.
Great little speakers.

Very good suggestion, it is surprising how many times it is an amp issue when we think it is the speakers.

As YNWOAN says above, spares for ES11's are unavailable, but you can pick up pairs for reasonable sums on eBay that could be donor speakers.

You didn't say whether it is audible from both the L and R speakers, or just from one of them.

One thing to note is that the bass/mid driver is integral with the injection molded front baffle on ES11. IOW, the driver basket is part of the baffle, which in turn is affixed to the similarly formed rear baffle by 4 internal rods in tension. As DavidS suggests above, I'd start with checking the tension of the four bolts.

dsc_8879.jpg

If it does prove to be a bass/mid driver at fault, there is the possibility that the suspension spider has become partially or fully detached from the driver basket (rather than from the voice coil). If so, this could be re-glued without too much surgery via application of a low (preferrably -ve) DC voltage in order to center the VC (rather than having to detach the center pole cap and use card spacers); this after first applying an outward force on the bass cone such that the glue can be spread between spider and basket (assuming there is enough access to do so).

IME, if the VC former has become detached from the cone, you wouldn't have to put the volume up to moderate, let alone high, to notice.

I'd be checking the tension of those bolts first though.

Last edited:
Well whatta-ya know.
It was noticeable in both speakers but one more than the other.
I've just tightened all the bolts and Presto!
Not only has this eliminated the issue, but the speakers definitely sound better, more harmonious.
Thanks to you all.
Rob

Really good news that the tightening worked, they are great little speakers, you should be very pleased with that result :)

I experienced a tweeter issue with a PMC twenty. At first it sounded like static. After more time it began to cut in and out, but I noticed it did so more often at higher volumes with bass heavy passages. So I opened it up. Turned out to be one of the terminals had loosened on the x-over board just enough to be vibration sensitive. Bad design, actually; this occurred after I had moved between jumpers a couple of times. The terminal on the outside worked perfectly well -- there was no way to tell its internal mate had loosened.

advertisement

Back