advertisement

Entry Level Naim amplification... is it worth it?

Some for very little, I heard of an AX3 (?) going for £30 or so in working order. This was felt to better a 72-250 in all other than power.
I bought an AX3 which is still around here somewhere. I liked it but definitely prefered my Nait. I think if it had been really close then I'd have bought the much more expensive AX 1010. Maybe I'll get the chance to hear one someday. The AX3 is certainly great value, like many old amps of that era, although I ended up paying about 50 quid for mine! Outrageous.

I bought an AX3 which is still around here somewhere. I liked it but definitely prefered my Nait. I think if it had been really close then I'd have bought the much more expensive AX 1010. Maybe I'll get the chance to hear one someday. The AX3 is certainly great value, like many old amps of that era, although I ended up paying about 50 quid for mine! Outrageous.
Steady on. If you were to sell it here you might lose, ooh, a tenner. Hard times.

Likely final update from me on this for anyone that was following - I just picked up the Nait2 this morning - looking beautiful and pristine.
Source-wise, to start with I'll just be feeding it with a Chromecast Audio via a Chord Mojo. Turntable to come in the future, and maybe a cd/better digital streamer/storage system further down the line.
On the speaker front, as much as I could have been ok with my current speakers for a while, I found a pair of Audio Note AX2s for £250 on ebay so decided to pick them up to act as a stop gap until I can move on to auditioning a few different higher end options (if I feel like I need to) - it seemed like there were a few different threads here that mentioned the Nait 2 and AX2s were a good pairing.
Thanks all for the valuable input.

Likely final update from me on this for anyone that was following - I just picked up the Nait2 this morning - looking beautiful and pristine.
Source-wise, to start with I'll just be feeding it with a Chromecast Audio via a Chord Mojo. Turntable to come in the future, and maybe a cd/better digital streamer/storage system further down the line.
On the speaker front, as much as I could have been ok with my current speakers for a while, I found a pair of Audio Note AX2s for £250 on ebay so decided to pick them up to act as a stop gap until I can move on to auditioning a few different higher end options (if I feel like I need to) - it seemed like there were a few different threads here that mentioned the Nait 2 and AX2s were a good pairing.

Great news, hope you're happy with it and the beauty is if you're not you can sell it for what you paid for it several times over. Secondly kudos for ignoring the anti-Naim crusade, I'm not going to get back into it, but some of the nonsense written above beggars belief.

I found a pair of Audio Note AX2s for £250 on ebay so decided to pick them up to act as a stop gap until I can move on to auditioning a few different higher end options (if I feel like I need to) - it seemed like there were a few different threads here that mentioned the Nait 2 and AX2s were a good pairing.
Seems like a good price for the AX2s. Put some Sinatra on and they'll be right at home.

Congratulations, good choice, enjoy :)

advertisement

Back