advertisement

English Acoustic 21c review

So, I have concluded that my Zu really need valves. Will be demoing the 21c and 41c. In the process of hopefully arranging to hear a Feliks Audio Ariosio 300B.

I’m looking for one more on my shortlist. Suggestions welcome. Criteria are as follows:

Downsizing to one column of Hutter rather than two. So, looking at one box only. Source is an Innuos Zenith Mk. 3 into a Chord Hugo TT2 DAC. No plans to get an M-Scalar at any point. If anything else were to be added it would be a shoebox size Innuos PhoenixNet or USB depending on whether one could detect a meaningful difference etc. Speakers are Zu Soul Superfly so 16ohm and 100db. Zu say I need 12W, Sverage size living room and I have mild but noticeable tinnitus so… I suspect not but want to find out.

Ideally looking for an integrated but as with the English Acoustics, which apparently pairs well with the Hugo TT2 in pre mode, I wouldn‘t rule a valve power amp out. Domestically a behemoth like the Line Magnetic 8451a is ouf of the question. We’re looking for normal width or less and domestically acceptable.

Have done a lot of reading and discussing so certain things have been ruled out already either on descriptions of the strengths and weaknesses or even just looks. A Fezz looks beautiful but seems limited in the range of music it would do justice to for example. I consider McIntosh fugly. etc. Icon Audio look home made and dated. We are fussy buggers, This household goes from chart pop to rap to Kraftwerk to The Fall via say Kenny Burrell and Miles Davis. There’s a metal head upstairs and we’re currently grooving to Anne Briggs; the Persuasions doing U2 and a fair bit of Chappell Roan.

Have a read of @Robert’s comments on my UPnP/DLNA thread. Given the efficiency of your speakers the Hugo TT will be able to drive them with ease, it can apparently kick out 18Watts! Whether it matches the Zu’s as well as a Leak needs to be investigated, but worth a go given it just means wiring up a couple of speaker cables!

Hi @Tony L the plan is to have the Chord in pre mode not so the Chord will be driving the speakers but the valve power or integrated will be i.e. Innuos to Chord DAC in pre mode to, for example, English Acoustics 21c or Feliks Arioso 300B into the Zu.

I am aware that the Chord could, by itself, drive the Zu but have been discouraged from trying this by several users trying it but then finding it a weaker option than an integrated or power amp, and, Chord quietly changing their mind and ceasing to recommend it as an option for reasons it’s probably unhelpful to speculate upon.

So, for me, the only thing I’m looking at is what comes after the Chord and before the Zu.

Have been following your thread with interest. Not looked for a day or so and will do so now.

advertisement

Back