advertisement

Energy prices go up

Rodrat

pfm Member
On the basis of the 9% plus rises, Labour may get a few votes out of their policy plan. It really is about time the industry had a bit more scrutiny and control.They are taking the piss big time. I don't suppose David and his mates will do anything as usual.

On the basis of the 9% plus rises, Labour may get a few votes out of their policy plan. It really is about time the industry had a bit more scrutiny and control.They are taking the piss big time. I don't suppose David and his mates will do anything as usual.

Oh yes they will, David and his mates will continue to make shitloads of money as usual.

Got a fixed price deal yesterday, can be done in 20 minutes. Now (with increase) saving about £400 a year. A few things can make it easier, if interested let me know, I'm in a rush just now.

Got a fixed price deal yesterday, can be done in 20 minutes. Now (with increase) saving about £400 a year. A few things can make it easier, if interested let me know, I'm in a rush just now.

When you get back online, let us know anyway if you have some tips as it may help some people.

You also have to remember that stuff bought on the global market is usually priced in USD. The UKP has seen some serious devaluation against the USD. Just before the credit crunch £1 bought 2USD today you'd have to pay £1.25 for those same dollars. That's a 25% increase in our costs even assuming that gas has not increased in price on the global markets.

Lets get fracking...

Cheers,

DV

Aaahh but you're wrong!

Dave has 'expressed his disappointment...'

So that's alright then.

How any sane person can continue to defend this bunch of Tory thieving bastards eludes me.

Mull

You also have to remember that stuff bought on the global market is usually priced in USD. The UKP has seen some serious devaluation against the USD. Just before the credit crunch £1 bought 2USD today you'd have to pay £1.25 for those same dollars. That's a 25% increase in our costs even assuming that gas has not increased in price on the global markets.

Lets get fracking...

Cheers,

DV

Let's get mining.

Coal instead of stupid imported biomass short-termism.

Coal will also supply our gas needs and produce useful by products such as tar for road use and chemicals for multiple uses.
Better than mortgaging ourselves to a dictator like Putin

Coal can be burned cleanly and the by products of the 'scrubbing' used, or sold.

Just needs a bit more will and a bit less short term greed.

Mull

Thing is Mull would elf'n's8f-t allow miners to enter the pit?

.......and if they did would the elfs let people have coal gas in their homes as I seem to remember its about 30% CO and peeps used to stick their heads into the oven when times got bad.

Cheers,

DV

I suspect coal would only ever be a short stop gap and not a long term strategy so would it be worth the cost of re-opening some mines, employing a load of people knowing that it would be shut down again in probably 10 years or so?

I saw a program and there was some argument but shale gas would appear to be regarded as having a longer term future and burns cleaner than coal. Also, nuclear but I would still rather they opt for something alternative like Thorium reactors that would have way lower disposal and management costs than current nuclear designs as well as using existing radioactive waste as a fuel. It just needs someone to bite the bullet and build one. We should/could become a leader rather than a follower but the powers that be seem too frightened to make a poxy decision and we are many years behind the curve as it is. Indecision will and is costing us more.

Let's get mining.

Coal instead of stupid imported biomass short-termism.

Coal will also supply our gas needs and produce useful by products such as tar for road use and chemicals for multiple uses.
Better than mortgaging ourselves to a dictator like Putin

Coal can be burned cleanly and the by products of the 'scrubbing' used, or sold.

Just needs a bit more will and a bit less short term greed.

Mull

No need to get our hands dirty. Plenty of gas can be got by fraccing. A hell of a lot cheaper as well. Grubbinfg about underground for coal should form no part of a first world economy.

No govt. in it's right mind will ever allow the situation to develop where one sector of the workforce can force the nation to it's knees again.

Coal mining is still labour intensive. Fraccing is not, so you pay the production guys a bloody good wage, give them bloody good conditions...job's a good un.

That is how the N. Sea has been able to operate for the last 40 years without even a hint of a stoppage due to industrial action.

Chris

I switched from Brit Gas about 6 weeks ago - hooray! - to SSE who put their prices up first - boo! - but via M&S who are SSE but fixed, prior to the SSE rise, for 2 years - hooray!

Just saw the MD of the energy company OVO on BBC news say British Gas are lying about the reason for the need to increase costs. He says he, and all the companies, are now buying wholesale gas at less cost than a year ago.
He says there is no real competition and the cartel are profiteering.

Surely this is just another very visible symptom of Osborne's flat-lining failed economy and devalued pound. Three years of "austerity" inevitably means the UK purchasing-power has sunk compared to the countries we buy energy from, therefore it feels like we are paying far, far more. As such I feel we can lay a fair chunk of the blame with the government for this one - they chose to prop-up the failed private sector financial services industry in this manner so this is Tory economic policy in action (I'm not suggesting Labour would have proven any different / any more competent, they are two instances of the same thing IMO).

Britain's economy is running not only off of a corrupt financial services sector but on a gang of other gougers- insurance, water, energy. These lazy con artists have the market fixed among themselves, never quite sucking enough blood to kill the host.

Surely this is just another very visible symptom of Osborne's flat-lining failed economy and devalued pound. Three years of "austerity" inevitably means the UK purchasing-power has sunk compared to the countries we buy energy from, therefore it feels like we are paying far, far more. As such I feel we can lay a fair chunk of the blame with the government for this one - they chose to prop-up the failed private sector financial services industry in this manner so this is Tory economic policy in action (I'm not suggesting Labour would have proven any different / any more competent, they are two instances of the same thing IMO).

Falling wages to compete with developing countries plus the people in developing countries having greater purchasing power for the limited amount available and energy prices have but one way to go.

When you get back online, let us know anyway if you have some tips as it may help some people.

Go to uSwitch web page and give details.

You need to know your energy consumption for the year - British Gas will supply (sic) this if you set up an account with them (very simple and quick). This will tell you how many units you consumed last year. You will need a bill with your customer number on it to get the information. Not sure about other companies.

The best deal for me was with http://www.edfenergy.com

With any new company they will ask for your MPRN - this is on your bill in a a little grid on the right hand side about page 2 and is called your gas meter reference number.

Appparently the demand for these deals has multiplied 10 fold today. Good luck.

Thing is Mull would elf'n's8f-t allow miners to enter the pit?

.......and if they did would the elfs let people have coal gas in their homes as I seem to remember its about 30% CO and peeps used to stick their heads into the oven when times got bad.

Cheers,

DV

10% according to this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coal_gas#Composition

People will always find a way to 'off' themselves so I don't see that as a reason for not using coal gas.

Mull

advertisement

Back