advertisement

Endpoint network streamers without native app

Aspro

pfm Member
I see NAD are bringing out the CS1(£299) which is described as an endpoint network streamer (actually player as it has an onboard DAC). It's supposed to be plug and play, supports uPNP and relies on third party apps such as Apple Airplay GoogleCast, Spotify and Tidal Connect and Roon. There is no native app. It has an offboard 5V USB power supply so you could use it with a linear power supply.

I have 4 streaming systems (Auralic Aries Mini, Prisma NP5, Sonos and Chord Mojopoly with a CCA as a back up). I use Bubble uPNP for all of them except the Auralic which has a very good app but works fine with Bubble. People are often very quite critical of native apps so the endpoint concept seems a sensible solution for hardware manufacturers to minimise support costs. Might it even tempt Rega to produce a nerwork player?

Last edited:
So what's the question as such - do you prefer streamers that rely on you using their native apps (such as the Prisma), or do you prefer streamers that have good built in apps (such as Auralic, Bluesound etc)?

And there's the middle ground where the built in apps are poor but sound quality is high (your Chord Mojo Poly).

Seems like you are in a streamer dilemma owning all of those streamers now - which out of all of them sounds the best?

So what's the question as such - do you prefer streamers that rely on you using their native apps (such as the Prisma), or do you prefer streamers that have good built in apps (such as Auralic, Bluesound etc)?

And there's the middle ground where the built in apps are poor but sound quality is high (your Chord Mojo Poly).

Seems like you are in a streamer dilemma owning all of those streamers now - which out of all of them sounds the best?

No streamer dilemma. I have 4 rooms in which I listen to music during the day - the joys of retirement. Garden room (breakfast) is Sonos. Study/lounge (daytime) is Aries Mini (with SSD also server for all systems). Kitchen /diner (dinnertime) is Mojopoly/Genelec and main system is Np5/Ares II (evening). Mojopoly also acts as the holiday sytem with Minirigs. I suppose I could use the Mojopoly for the 3 non Sonos sytems as it's portable but I'd still need the Aries Mini as a server. It's all horses for courses.The Sonos is a pair of speakars so can't be compared with anything else. You can't use the Poly without the Mojo. I'd struggle to differentiate between the digital outputs of the NP5 and Aries Mini, though.

I've not come across the term endpoint streamer avoiding the need for a native app so the question is (finally) why manufactures bother with them given the costs involved. Can native app improve sound quality for playback compared with a generic app? Would a £549 Bluesound with Blueos be better than the £299 NAD CS1 without if you are happy with Bubble? The Poly needs an app for set up in its various modes of operation but it can't be used for playback. I can't detect any difference in sound quality between using a generic or native apps for the Sonos, Prisma or Aries Mini for playback.

Perhaps Auralic use their own app because they feel they can tweak the performance of the sound quality to more audiophile standards within their coding, I really don't know.

I'm surprised someone like you doesn't use Roon because I think all your streaming devices are Roon endpoints are they not?

Anyway I can't talk, I have many streaming devices and methods also - I like fiddling.

The only reason for companies to write their own apps is to either make the most out of the underlying kit, to provide features that might be better in terms of ease of use and functionality, and maybe also to be the masters of their software destiny. Having used a few different apps, I can say they are not equal in many facets, but some companies don’t want others to have their competitive advantage, and others don’t want to pay software royalties.

So, you have the current mishmash of choice, which is probably a good thing to suit various tastes, budgets, and have competition to drive quality forward.

I think it’s all about the app’ experience. I’m sure most folks just want to listen and control their music as simply as possible although I do appreciate some love the technical side. Aurender and Auralic for example main considerations for customers are I suspect ease of use, features and support (via dealer/forum). Their reward is brand loyalty. Personally if I had a streamer and I could comfortably operate the app’ I’d more likely look at that companies latest and greatest when upgrading or renewing.

I’m definitely buying the NAD CS1 when I can. I’m happy finally to see a Roon Ready streamer at this price level available off the shelf.

My main system uses a Mola Mola Makua preamp with inbuilt Tambaqui DAC. This only streams itself as a Roon endpoint (using ethernet input). When I demoed it the dealer used an Anitpodes K50 to stream (using either Ethernet or EAS/EBU) to it but that adds quite a bit of cost and it sounds quite good by itself.

This works for me because like the OP I am retired and have other devices around the house I stream to (several Bluesound powered speakers and several apple products - I use an iPad and Dragonfly cobalt as a mobile headphone station). Using Roon I can stream the same music to them all at the same time or different music (I have a teenage son who uses an iPhone to access Roon in his bedroom and he doesn't want to listen to what I do).

No streamer dilemma. I have 4 rooms in which I listen to music during the day - the joys of retirement. Garden room (breakfast) is Sonos. Study/lounge (daytime) is Aries Mini (with SSD also server for all systems). Kitchen /diner (dinnertime) is Mojopoly/Genelec and main system is Np5/Ares II (evening). Mojopoly also acts as the holiday sytem with Minirigs. I suppose I could use the Mojopoly for the 3 non Sonos sytems as it's portable but I'd still need the Aries Mini as a server. It's all horses for courses.The Sonos is a pair of speakars so can't be compared with anything else. You can't use the Poly without the Mojo. I'd struggle to differentiate between the digital outputs of the NP5 and Aries Mini, though.

I've not come across the term endpoint streamer avoiding the need for a native app so the question is (finally) why manufactures bother with them given the costs involved. Can native app improve sound quality for playback compared with a generic app? Would a £549 Bluesound with Blueos be better than the £299 NAD CS1 without if you are happy with Bubble? The Poly needs an app for set up in its various modes of operation but it can't be used for playback. I can't detect any difference in sound quality between using a generic or native apps for the Sonos, Prisma or Aries Mini for playback.

I guess it comes down to how you want to interact with digital music. If you are just looking to access a file in a folder, where you know where it is etc, then basic stuff is fine, if you want more then you need some investment in time and energy from someone or a company to make that interaction more interesting/important/.

I am willing to throw a few quid at roon each year because its provides me with excellent access to music across a lot of systems and mediums, in reality I dont think I could go back to navigating an UPNP server, its always so.. clunky.

I'm skeptical about streamers. Are they not just computers converting one form of data into another form? How difficult can that be? My £30 CCa manages it quite well and also has a DAC.

Native apps are fine if they work well (Bluos or Auralic) but if users don't like the experience it is likely to put off prospective buyers of equipment with what might be very good hardware and firmware. I can't see how any control app can affect the sound quality.

If you go for 'clunky' uPNP control apps or, more likely these days, Roon surely this makes a native app redundant except for rudimentary set up purposes. It seems to make life easier for manufacturers and this may be reflected by the relatively low price for the NAD CS1.

Thee Nad CS1 at £299 seems pricey when compared to the Yamaha WXAD10 at £150 which can still be had and is a great streamer and he app I've found to be ok too. It doesn't have digital outputs but the onboard DAC is pretty good.

Thee Nad CS1 at £299 seems pricey when compared to the Yamaha WXAD10 at £150 which can still be had and is a great streamer and he app I've found to be ok too. It doesn't have digital outputs but the onboard DAC is pretty good.
A Wiim Mini is half the price of the Yamaha. The CS1 seems cheap for a Roon endpoint and much cheaper than the its more expensive NAD siblings (e.g. C698 - £1599) and just over half the cost of a Bluesound Node from the same group.

I'm more interested in what the endpoint approach means for the user and the manufacturer. No doubt reviews will give a user perspective. Does this mean less upfront and maintenanance costs for the manufacturer? Is it likely to be more future proof and therefore have a longer product life for the consumer?

The Wiim Mini does look an interesting product. Not being a user of Roon I didn't know Roon compatible devices were so expensive.

advertisement

Back