advertisement

End war on drugs - Police chief

aquapiranha

pfm Member
At last some common sense as opposed to DM style hang em high ideas. This country spends too much trying to fight a battle that can never be won. Legalisation means control, tax revenue and removing the trade from the hands of criminals.

This issue reminds me of the fable of the scorpion and the frog.

Even though legalisation and regulation of the supply of drugs would be the perfectly logical thing to do it would never be in the nature of the authoritarian mindset running this country.

I have always thought that many drugs should be legalised but the logistics would be horrendous.

Simon

Yet again this week someone dies from contaminated ecstasy, the police spend millions trying to control the supply yet people keep dropping. Same again next week.

I have always thought that many drugs should be legalised but the logistics would be horrendous.

Simon

But would it? We seem to manage OK with what are by far the two most dangerous drugs, tobacco and alcohol.

I think the tide is turning on this issue. Comparisons with prohibition seem apposite. Spain, Portugal and the Netherlands and a small number of states in the US have legalised grass, so depending on these and other experiences in South America I think there will be a sea change leading to a new classification of drugs in this country.

There are already two legal drugs I can think of that kill many thousands every year in this country from which we make many millions in tax. I can think of only a few high profile drugs deaths in the last decade in comparison and yet we spend vast sums trying to eradicate the ' threat ' that other illegal drugs are said to hold. Seems to me that we have our priorities seriously wrong on this one

One of my main concerns is what you do with the no-hopers who get onto class A drugs and their lives become even more reliant on the state to give them what they 'need/want'.
it sends out a message that it's ok to take these drugs and the state will give you them without you having to go out robbing.

It's a big step to take.

Simon

One of my main concerns is what you do with the no-hopers who get onto class A drugs and their lives become even more reliant on the state to give them what they 'need/want'.
it sends out a message that it's ok to take these drugs and the state will give you them without you having to go out robbing.

It's a big step to take.

Simon

Make them go private.

How much will the country save, financially and socially if they manage the use of drugs rather than trying to deal with the fallout?

The cost to UK plc in human terms is horrific; could it be any worse?

Debs

How much will the country save, financially and socially if they manage the use of drugs rather than trying to deal with the fallout?

The cost to UK plc in human terms is horrific; could it be any worse?

Debs

I suspect it could not but the arguments against legalising are quite compelling, especially when government spin is added.

Simon

We need to stop grouping all drugs together. Weed, ecstasy, amphetamines etc, can largely be controlled within, but the global effects of legalising cocaine or heroin would be horrendous unless we came to a global consensus, or deal if you like.

We need to stop grouping all drugs together. Weed, ecstasy, amphetamines etc, can largely be controlled within, but the global effects of legalising cocaine or heroin would be horrendous unless we came to a global consensus, or deal if you like.

Why would the legalising of any drug have consequences more "horrendous" than the effects of tobacco or alcohol?

Why would one country making something legal have consequences elsewhere?

I think the tide is turning on this issue. Comparisons with prohibition seem apposite. Spain, Portugal and the Netherlands and a small number of states in the US have legalised grass, so depending on these and other experiences in South America I think there will be a sea change leading to a new classification of drugs in this country.

Turning?
I seem to remember there are several countries that still execute you for possession.

Why would the legalising of any drug have consequences more "horrendous" than the effects of tobacco or alcohol?

Looking back, that didn't make sense. The effects already are horrendous for the people on the ground and production levels are unlikely to change anyway. But a global solution does give a chance to tackle some of the problems e.g. fair trade coke, UK taxes, etc.

I lean toward partial legalization. The argument against partial legalization is that pot and ecstasy are "gateway drugs". The question in my mind is whether the "gateway effect" would be reduced if you didn't have to interact with drug dealers to procure pot.

People are going to continue to get high, of that much we can be certain. We need to find the safest way to enable this to happen and the status quo is neither cheap nor safe.

How do you quantify what level of the population have avoided crack or heroine because they are socially rejected and illegal?

advertisement

Back