advertisement

EMT 938 information/experience?

Just FYI - the Dublin based 938 is still available, asking price is now €1,000 (~£850). I don't know whether this is a good price for this deck?

Richard

It's not a question of 'EMT police'

You have discovered that it isn't that easy to fit standard cartridges into EMT headshells, and you don't have the possibility to make full adjustments once fitted. Therefore it doesn't really make much sense to try.
Apologies for resurrecting an old thread here, but I couldn't resist replying to this.

I had the opportunity to purchase a 948 from the aforementioned Irish National Broadcaster last year. Although it was described as being in 'excellent' condition and as having a TSD15, it needed a bit of restoration work on my part (mainly hovering 30 years' worth of fag ash and the odd paper-clip) and actually had a cheapo Stanton MM cart. (There were also numerous problems with the arm lift motor, but that's another story).

As well as fitting a new TSD15, I also got my hands on a very rare black EMT J-Shell - this is basically an EMT manufactured head that will take a standard length cartridge, but is compatible with the 929 arm.

Rather than modding the 038 MM card with J.P. Van Vliet's step up transformers to turn it effectively into a 088 MC stage, I purchased the Fabritus' F2 cards, so now I still have the original 038 card with the option to go back to an MM setup if I want.

There seems to be a lot of EMT collectors out there with very deep pockets, especially in Japan. I saw a ex-BBC 950 sell for over €7,500 last month on ebay. I was tempted myself, but I didn't fancy having to face the inevitable divorce proceedings.

Just going back to the question of cartridges in the EMT headshell, there are two issues: One is the small physical length of cartridge that can be accommodated, and the second is the lack of fore-aft adjustment that requires the cartridge to have the "right" stylus-mounting point distance. One cartridge that fits on both counts is the Sumiko Talisman S. High arm mass precludes most Hi-Fi MM cartridges, but the Ortofon OM series with DJ stylus should also fit.

My own EMT948 has the TSD15 with VdH stylus fitted, but I use it into the standard 47k MM input without the additional transformers. I prefer to sacrifice a little S/N ratio for much better overload performance. There's quite enough gain not to require the transformers using a pre-amp rather than having it feed a mixing desk at +8.

S.

There seems to be a lot of EMT collectors out there with very deep pockets, especially in Japan. I saw a ex-BBC 950 sell for over €7,500 last month on ebay. I was tempted myself, but I didn't fancy having to face the inevitable divorce proceedings.

It looked in very nice condition.
I think it was a German buyer - they seem to be the only buyers with money these days, and they have been buying a lot of quality equipment from UK ever since Sterling collapsed against the euro. Seller was in Kent, and the Dover ferry is very cheap.
I have never seen anything near that price achieved anywhere before.
Still, if they were made today, new price would be about 70 000 euro.

I have an empty EMT headshell and an Ortofon OM cartridge. Just tried fitting it and it is OK, though a bit of pin-bending might be needed - as with the Denon 103. I don't have a stylus, so couldn't check alignment.
The Shure SC35C fits easily, and lines up just about right. But I don't fancy putting one of those on my records.

The Denon DL103 fits but only if you undertake some drastic surgery on the pins of the cartridge. I have one fitted into an EMT headshell that gets occasional use at parties etc and it's very tight fit.

What might work better is a 103 with the plastic body removed and using flying leads as per TSD cartridges. It's a lot of work though so it may be better to invest in a TSD. I think that compared to a lot of so called hi end cartridges, the TSD is actually a bargain.

advertisement

Back