advertisement

EMT 930st turntable, 929 arm, 155st phono stage. Look what I've just bought!

interesting conclusions on the comparison between the 103 and TSD, Lindsay.

When i ran the 103 on an lp12/ittok and switched to a ESCO'd troika on same, i found the troika to be a better cart overall - cleaner, faster and more detailed. Perhaps not surprising given the set up - but i also found that i really missed what the 103 did with vocals. To my mind, the 103 has a real knack of bringing vocals out of the mix and fleshing them out in a way that even the TSD on my emt can't. Perhaps its my fading aural memory - but there is something quite special about the 103 with vocals. I'd say, though, that everything else is considerably improved with the TSD (over the troika and 103, that is). [edit: tis an unfair comparison as i was comparing different systems in addition to carts].

One day, I'll get around to squeezing the 103 into the spare TSD headshell i've got and do a fairer comparison - but I'm also dubious about being able to get the right geometry. Not much room for fiddling unfortunately, unless its using a universal headshell such as yours.

On the issue of the extra cash of the TSD - I personally think its a no-brainer. What you're really paying for is the opportunity to hear the system as it was designed to be heard. Particularly if you're using the 155st. If it doesn't work to your ears, then tweak away or scrap it altogether. But forking out for the TSD is the only way to know what you've really got. That's what i thought anyways.

It also makes comparisons between the rather expensive EMT's and Lenco's/Garrards difficult as what you're paying for in the former is a rather fixed system (with attendant synergies IMHO) whereas the latter tend to be a a hodge-pogde/tweakers delight. Nothing wrong with that, mind. Indeed, my next project is a 301 restoration. Should be interesting to compare the overall systems, but will be nigh on impossible to make conclusions about the different components.

Best
Adrian

yeah, this is way too expensive. There is complete tube/active hi-efficiency loudspeaker/EMT 927 setup for sale in Switzerland for 10,000 EUR. Sounds like bargain compared to the above.

best regards, Hartmut

Yes EMT 927's sell for £10,000 to £14,000. I've not heard one yet. They're supposed to sound a bit more authoratative than the 930's, but not as "fast" as the 930's.

I'd only buy one if I were a multi-millionaire. There's much more value in the 930's which are rather more plentiful with over 40,000 of them having been sold worldwide.

The 139 price in that ebay advert is a joke. For less than that you can go to Van Vliet in Holland for a fully restored 930 / 929 / 139st. And for less than that, you can get an eBay 930 / 929 and buy a separate high-end phono stage of your choice.

emt927jziq.jpg

see here. The seller sent me a bunch of pictures. At the price above, it seems to good to be true, and it is still too pricey ...

best regards, Hartmut

Connected my EMT 155st phono stage / equaliser today.

This was with the help of some old cartridge headshell leads for connecting the arm to the 155st input lead. Plus £18 worth of eBayed balanced lead and some small Maplins spade connectors for linking the 155st to my Ashly XR1001 active crossover.

It worked in mono straight away. A twiddle of the mono / stereo adjustor and some trial and error got me stereo sound. A test record showed that I'd even preserved phasing and left / right channel connections.

I left the equaliser adjuster on the brightest setting after a quick play.

I've almost got too much control over the tonal balance with this and the Ashly.

Initial impresions are that it sounds fine for something that was built in 1974, hasn't been used for over 10 years and according to the sticker on it has had R3 changed for use with a Shure mm cartridge. I'm using it with an EMT mc cartridge. There's no shortage of gain in my system even though I'm not using a conventional pre-amplifier. The volume controls on the Ashly are turned a long way down to avoid blowing my ears and speakers.

The children danced like demented dervishers to Gods Own Medicine by the Mission. So it can't be sounding too bad.

Good clarity on vocals. Seems to push vocals and possibly synthesizers forward in the mix a little bit and push electric guitars back a little bit. Dynamics and detail seem fine.

Early days yet, but I think the 155st could be staying in my system. It works well enough with all the other EMT bits and best of all, it was a freebie thrown in with the 930st.

EMT03.jpg

EMT02.jpg

EMT01.jpg

Hi, I'm new here, although I've been following this thread for a while.

I have an EMT 930st, with what appears (from the research I've done) to be an Ortofon RF 297 tonearm fitted.

However, the underside of the base of the arm (only visible if I unscrew it from the deck) bears the markings "969 2 Made in Denmark" together with a logo I don't recogise. I haven't been able to find evidence anywhere of a '969tonearm' for these EMT 930 turntables, can anyone shed any light on what this arm actually is - I was under the impression that the RF 297 arm was only fitted to EMT 927 turntables...?

Any input greatly appreciated

Cheers

Adrian...thank you very much for such a quick reply! Yes, it does begin to look like it's an RF229.

However, does this continue to make sense given that the headshell to arm connector is 4-pin, and it's currently got a stereo cartridge fitted?

Cheers

Dave

Could the 969 2 be the serial number of your arm?

From your photo, the Hammerite paint looks a bit odd around the arm base. Looks like it's been touched up - which of course will make no difference to the sound.

How does it sound Tab? And what cartridge have you got fitted there?

However, does this continue to make sense given that the headshell to arm connector is 4-pin, and it's currently got a stereo cartridge fitted?

Cheers

Dave

Hi Dave

Dont know I'm afraid as I havent seen the pin layout of an EMT mono cart (TMD or OFD). If its outputting stereo, then its possible that the arm could have been rewired somewhere along the way - possible given the age of the deck/arm. e.g my 2nd 930 is an older 930 (ser # around 2000), but was upgraded along the way to stereo with a new 929 and a 155st. Though i wish it had stayed with the tube eq! :(

What cart are you running with it atm and are you running it through the onboard eq? 155st i'm guessin?

Hope your enjoying it!

Best
Adrian

Hi

Thanks again for the replies.

My serial number's in the mid 14 thousands. But it's fitted with a mono 155 pre-amp (also 14 thousand and something), which has been bypassed - instead the wires from the cartridge connect via an added terminal strip to a pair of flying phono leads. I don't know whether the 155 works or not...

When I got this, (cheaply, I might add - circa 10 years ago) I only wanted something which would play old knackered 78s, so I fitted a cheap ceramic cartridge, the kind where you flip the stylus over for either 78s or 33s/45s. However, it was perfectly adequate for my purposes...having said that, I haven't used it now for ages, all my 'good' vinyl is played on a Technics SL1200 Mk2...Yes, I know...what a heathen!

Very well spotted, Lindsayt...here's an un-Photoshop-ed pic...

EMTTurntablemod.jpg

(I was initially mostly interested in finding out about the tonearm, but now I suspect we're opening up a whole can of worms...)

I can't tell whether it's been a repair or a mod, but at some time in its history, someone's cut out a piece from the deck, and replaced it with a piece of (black) bakelite. It's been pretty carefully done, perhaps on a milling machine, and the replacement, which has been glued in with epoxy is a very good fit, and also precisely the right thickness. Finally it's been painted with silver hammerite.

Here's another photo from underneath...(the pinkness is my digi camera giving up...)

EMTTurntable010.jpg

and here's a drawing I've just made of the fill-in piece...

Dave027.jpg

Does any of this give any clues as to what tonearm might have been previously fitted...?

Cheers

Dave

Tab,

Is the 14000 serial number the number on the TT chassis plate? The tonearm will have a different s/n to the turntable. I guessed the age of my turntable by looking at Van Vliet's website that showed the serial numbers and ages of 930's that he'd previously sold.

There's every chance the 155 will work fine.

You've got some big red / pink capacitors at the back of your 930. I don't think mine's got them there.

If you ever get something like a Denon DL103 or TSD 15 cartridge fitted to your 930 please let us know how it compares to your Techie. I think the 1200 can be a very fine sounding TT with the right arm and cart.

I've seen a few photos of 930's on the internet where the top plate has been drilled or chain drilled to fit different arms. Makes me wonder if someone drilled yours to fit a SME and then changed it back again to fit the current arm? Also is it possible the whole corner has been broken off and glued back on again? In your photos looks like there might be a couple of cracks that could indicate this? Maybe they lost one or two bits when it broke and they patched in the section shown in your drawing?

The pins for mono TSD cartridges, I believe, are 2 horizontal pins. TSD stereo carts have 4 pins in a diamond pattern - which is different by 45 degrees angle to the square arrangement on headshells / arms from most other manufacturers.

Hi Lindsayt

The plot further thickens....I've just has a look at the Van Vliet website, and learned that pre #14725 930sts were fitted with the additional power supply components for the old valve 139st equaliser/preamp. Mine falls into this category, (serial number is definitely on the chassis) which presumably explains the additional capacitors in the photo. And dates the turntable to somewhere around early/mid 1969. Also I've found stuff on there that confirms my tonearm is an RF 229

However, it's absolutely, completely and utterly, definitely a mono 155, it has 'mono' printed on its front face, and it only has one trim pot for level. So it's almost certainly not original to this deck. A shame the original valve EQ's gone...but hey...!

I can also confirm that there has definitely not been any other damage to the deck - the mark you can see (just at the right hand end of the varnish on the corner) is actually a pencil mark. So it begins to look like it may even have had three tonearms throughout its history - presumably originally either an EMT 929 or an Ortofon RMA 229, then (after some butchery) something like an SME...and finally (after making good the butchery) the current RF 229.

And the headshell/arm connector does have the four pins in a diamond configuration, ie pins at North, South, East and West.

So I've certainly learned more about this thing in the last few days than in the whole of the rest of the time I've had it...so thanks guys!

Cheers

Dave

Ha !! I knew you'd spot that pretty quickly...! :)

So far no bids, although a couple of 'outside-of-Ebay' offers...we'll see what happens.

Cheers

Dave

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.

advertisement

Back