advertisement

Emmylou Harris recommendations please.

Barney

pfm Member
Thinking about investigating some Emmylou Harris music, can anyone guide me to the more acoustic based albums?

You'll be looking at her earlier output rather than her more recent stuff if its more acousticy/countryish stuff you are after. There's quite a lot to choose from as she was quite prolific from the miid 70s to mid 80s. But you can't go far wrong as she is really very good. Some of its more country rock.

But my favourite would be Roses In The Snow, acoustic, almost bluegrass - lots of fiddles, mandolin, dobro etc. and has guest spots from Dolly Parton, Johnny Cash, Willy Nelson and Ricky Skaggs among others. The cover of "The Boxer" is the only cheese flavoured element, but its way more than made up for by the rest of it. Its a great album.

Edit. PS. Blue Kentucky Girl, would be the next best in this vein.

Easy !! As i have suggested before go to Amazon UK type in Emmylou see what comes up and read the reviews underneath from the people that purchased the albums and for further listening if thats your bag check out what else the people that have bought Emmylou have purchased. :)

If you have not got it already have a listen to Nancie Griffiths Other Voices other halls. I simply love all of it. But i highly recomend Her version of Ralph Mctell's From Clair to hear . Incidentally is not a love song its about Irish repatriation.

There is another excellent female singer you should check out to Devon Sproule her album keep your silver shined is just great. fantastic recordinghttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxFOQF4coLA&feature=related

Last edited by a moderator:
The ultimate must be Wrecking Ball. On CD it is great,

On Vinyl which is very rare and difficult to find she is sublime.

R

Blue Kentucky Girl and Roses in the Snow would be my starting point.

I prefer her early raw stuff to the later heavier produced Daniel Lanois productions

You might to look at Nanci Griffith - Late Night Grand Hotel
or Mary Chapin Carpenter - Stones in the Road and many others while you are at it and anything by Alison Krauss

I could go on and on

eddie

Hi, Red Dirt Girl,and as ever The Best Of also one that is rather different is Songs of the West. Enjoy.

The ultimate must be Wrecking Ball.

I love that recording too, but it's not "Classic" Emmylou, and it's covered with Lanois sauce, which may be too much for some listeners.

The "Songbird" 4cd + DVD set is a really fine compilation of goodies and rareties, I was just wallowing it :D

UK/european tour in the autumn.

regards

Peter

Thanks everyone, lot's of suggestions and help there for me to investigate.

Funnily enough it was Tuesday's edition of Jools Holland and Emmylou's stunning performance that prompted to post.

Wrecking Ball is something I've heard stuff from, not quite acoustic but I thought it was great, so perhaps I'll widen my search.

The Amazon suggestion is a good idea and so obvious I never gave it a thought!

Nanci Griffith is someone who sits in my collection already, but thanks for the heads up anyway.

advertisement

Back