advertisement

Email Client for Windows 7

seagull

Seabird flavour member
Hi all.

We have shiny new PC (running Windows 7) sitting under the desk in the study.

I have a copy of M$ Office 2010 Home Edition ready to load. Looked at the back of the box - No Outlook! Hmmm.

We use(d) Outlook 2003 on our soon to be ex-PC (running under XP). We wish to retain the emails,contacts,calendar entries.

Having booted up the new PC and had a look at the Windows Live Mail thingy, it seems to do most of what we would want BUT there doesn't seem to be any way of directly loading in the outlook.pst file from Outlook.

I have hunted about on the web for a solution (from what I found, so have many other people). It would appear that there used to be an M$ utility to do this but that it didn't work so rather than fixing it they just dropped it. I guess they want users of Outlook to splash out the extra to get the version of Office with Outlook.

I have tried one suggestion using 3rd party software but that failed to do anything remotely useful.

The next step would seem to be to download a trial version of Office with Outlook and try and export/import from there.

We still have the old pc running (when it does decide to run for more than a few minutes without the BSoD) so we may be able to export things in different formats if that is possible.

We use Sky email (which I think is re-badged GMail), so I Know we can do it using the web-based utilities, but call me old-fashioned, I prefer to use a mail client (don't get me started on browser based front ends).

I am open to suggestions for other email clients which also offer the contact and calendar facilities - the main proviso being that they are simple to set up and use and able to import the data from the outlook.pst file.

Thanks in advance...

Do the have the Office/Outlook install media from your previous PC? Licensing can be a bit of a grey area on this kind of thing, but I feel you own a license for Outlook, it should be up to you which computer you use it on - as long as you only use on one PC at a time. In fact, from a moral (rather than legal) standpoint, I'd say if you can borrow the Office/Outlook 2003 media from someone, you'd be within your rights to install it, still using *your* license.

Personally, I've found that the only application which can fully successfully import Outlook mail archives is Outlook.

I use Mozilla Thunderbird, but that's mainly because I use Linux, Windows and some other Unix variants, so having something common to all of them is useful.

Chris

I put Thunderbird on my daughter's laptop due to the same issue. Very impressed, especially with the filtering options. Tempted to change our main family pc to it.

I use Systools Outlook PST Viewer for viewing my old PST files, works perfectly if you just want to view. Very surprisingly, there's also a payable version, with which you can export your Outlook content. Have a look here.

Windows Live is AFAIK another cloud solution, and I fear that those who are allergic to the cloud are in for a hard time.

Forget Windows and install a good Linux distro (e.g. Suse, Mepis, Ubuntu, etc). Easy to install, all free software, no registering, service packs, expensive add-on software, immune to viruses, probably more stable than Windows. The standard e-mail clinet if using the common KDE graphic system is Kmail, there's a free version of Photoshop (Gimp) and practically everything you might need.

Thanks for the replies.

Thunderbird (plus Lightning for the calendar) looks a good way to go. It will need Mrs seagull's approval though - she hated Firefox.

Not straight forward is it. I could try Thunderbird on the old PC (providing it runs for long enough to install and run it) then export files to the new pc rather than faffing around with M$ downloads for products I've already bought (apart from Outlook obviously).

Linux? No thanks, I have enough of that at work.

While we're on the subject, can anyone help me with this?

I am running Thunderbird and Windows live mail on two different machines, to see which is best for me, but they both have the same problem. Not all 'sent mail' shows in the 'sent mail' folder, although it is there in the 'all mail' folder - any idea why, and can I fix it?

It's not the end of the world but it is irritating

install thunderbird
import your messages into thunderbird
hope this helps
I think the OP said that WindowsLive looked more or less OK to him. Personally I understand him, because I too have great difficulty finding even the slightest reason for using a local mail client, no matter which one - for personal use, that is.

As Robert Cyrus said, I'd download a trial version of Outlook and export the whole thing to CSV files (which can easily be edited if fields don't match) and import them into WindowsLive. If said import function is as well designed as Google's, it will recognize the import pattern and all will be well.

In this situation, numbers of free PST viewer software are available in the online market, Try any PST viewer software or go with the paid version to export PST file into other formats.

While we're on the subject, can anyone help me with this?

I am running Thunderbird and Windows live mail on two different machines, to see which is best for me, but they both have the same problem. Not all 'sent mail' shows in the 'sent mail' folder, although it is there in the 'all mail' folder - any idea why, and can I fix it?

It's not the end of the world but it is irritating

It could be because different clients put sent messages into differently named folders: with a combination of web clients and Thunderbird, I have "Sent Mail", "Sent Items", "Sent".... that confused me for a while!

I have gmail connected to my outlook but they do not communicate together well at all. On with MS now to see if they can fix it. But basically when I search my inbox it displays results from both the inbox and sent items. Not only that it shows the message twice. So I get lost trying to find stuff.

I have gmail connected to my outlook but they do not communicate together well at all. On with MS now to see if they can fix it. But basically when I search my inbox it displays results from both the inbox and sent items. Not only that it shows the message twice. So I get lost trying to find stuff.

You do know that you can configure outlook search to perform the tasks that you want?

Cheers,

DV

Have a look at gsyncit. It’s very useful for syncing gmail and outlook.

And after two decades with millions of users some stubbornly cling on to unnecessary bloatware such as Avast when the built in Windows av is perfectly capable and the basic issues have been addressed...

I used Outlook for years but thought I’d try Windows Live Mail within Windows 10 Pro on my new laptop. I am satisfied with it & will not return to Outlook (but I am no longer using email for serious business purposes). Here’s what I did to get things working for me :

1. Backup up all my old Outlook files/folders & imported them into Outlook on my 10 year old W7 desktop machine (basically kept for archive use).

2. From this old desktop, I exported all my Outlook contacts into my little-used Gmail/Google account - a standard, simple procedure.

3. Synch W10 with Google account via People... Live Mail uses W10 People as its Contacts.

Simple & good for my 3 email accounts : relieved to no longer need Outlook, T bird or any other fully fledged mail program.

Capisce ?

advertisement

Back