advertisement

Elgar

As Delius is more akin to a French impressionist like Debussy, Vaughan Williams drew on many influences,, the only one who was obviously Germanic in influence is Elgar. Afraid your opinion doesn't hold water. Try listening to the Vaughan Williams symphonies, then enjoy a dose of the Bax symphonies.

All personal taste - but Du Pre's recording of his Cello Concerto is probably one of my Desert Island Discs.

I don't like the Du Pre. I find it all rather limp and flat.

I very much like Natalie Clein's version. She manages to play all of the right notes in the right order and with IMHO just the correct amount of light/shade/weight etc.

I also like the Lynn Harrell Decca SXL, which is a touch more 'jazzy'.

Mull

Vuk,

Elgar isn't really classical music at all, nobody said it was, and I think you are a little off comparing to Jazz.

Its probably more like comparing a modern techno outfit to Kraftwerk. Certainly Elgar et al would probably compare themselves to fathers of classical music.

Nothing wrong with enjoying them.

To me, English music in the early part of the 20th century seems to suffer from a certain preciousness, for want of a better word. Some of these composers rediscovered folk songs and devised settings for them, but I doubt if the original singers would have recognised them. Give me the German and Russian composers any time. Not for them some swineherd mincing o'er the lea, but the great themes of life, death and redemption.

I wouldn't be able to choose between Elgar or Vaughan Williams and both fulfil a similar musical need for me. I hear both produce wonderful evocative, uplifting and soothing music. I wouldn't personally discount them in anyway against anyone or in any comparison.

This afternoon I listened to some Tippett and Vaughan Williams. Superb.

Next I listened to some Ring Cycle, then the wonderful Hymnen and Momente by Stockhausen.

The Wagner was rather boring, though I do know it is good theatre live.

advertisement

Back