advertisement

Elgar Cello concerto

Fudgemaster

pfm Member
I see HD Tracks is offering a download of a 2012 remaster of EMI's issue, of Elgar's Cello Concerto, Cockaigne and Sea Pictures, by Du Pre/Baker/Barbirolli, and can't find any info anywhere else. Does anyone know of it, please? I have the EMI Classics Great Recordings of the Century CD, but judging by the HD Tracks' accompanying blurb, this remaster is even better - well they would, wouldn't they? Listening to their samples I can't hear much of an improvement over my CD version. 'Spect I'll buy it, though, just in case...

I was looking for the wrong picture on the front of the CD. I've found this disc on Amazon, and it seems to be part of a series, "Signature Edition", from EMI, another marketing exercise? Would still appreciate hearing from anyone who's heard it, though.

I've not heard it, or anything else from HD Tracks for that matter. Whilst Du Pre's Elgar is a magical and legendary performance I'd never really considered it a landmark from a technical recording perspective. Is there really anything else to get out that's not on the (perfectly adequate) CD/vinyl? I've got the 17 CD Complete EMI Recordings (though mine is the earlier issue with a different picture on the box). I'd recommend it to anyone, along with the biography A Genius In The Family by her brother and sister.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Du Pre is great with the Elgar but there are many other wonderful recordings, Tortelier with Boult for instance and if you can ignore Hi Fi for a moment Beatrice Harrison in 1927 takes a bit of beating.

I find Du Pre's 'cello a touch reedy - I certainly prefer the Tortelier (on old 10" mono in my case). Janet Baker's rendition of 'Sea Pictures' is the only reason I keep the LP.

That said, perhaps a remaster would remove my objections to an otherwise enchanting performance! If only they'd re-release on a civilised format too...

I'm always disappointed by my CD version of Du Pre's Elgar. It sounds limp and lacks power.

I have a nice Tortelier, and an excellent Decca SXL by Lynn Harrel.

And then of course there is the wonderful Natalie Clein CD. ( Mine is signed :) )
I've also seen her play it live. Twice.

For me, the Clein is probably my favourite. She manages the power, the passion and the pathos, whilst also fitting in all of the notes.

I'd like to think Clein might do the Dvorak some day.

Mull

Apparently my favourite is Sir Malcolm Sargent with a very young looking Tortelier (BLP 1043). I've also got his recording of the Bach 'cello suites, which are a wonderful set.

. She manages the power, the passion and the pathos, whilst also fitting in all of the notes.

Mull

Always a useful attribute in a Classical player. I hate it when they only play half the notes the composer wrote down.

:) But Miss Clein manages to play all of the right notes, in the right order.

She's no dog either! ;)

Natalie-Clein.jpg

Mull

I've always thought that Barbirolli's earlier Halle recording of the Elgar Cello Concerto, with Andre Navarra, trumps the Du Pre recording, and any others too.

(It's still available on Testament, I believe.)

I'm going to have to get a bigger rack for my CDs. Tortelier and Miss Clein are going on the list to buy, and perhaps Paul Watkins. Thanks, all.

Thanks for the heads up, Barrymagrec, must set my recorder. I've got Tortelier/Grove, Clein versions ordered. Tortelier/Boult is, at £32, a bit steep. Still, some listening to do, soon. Ta for all your assistance.

Sorry, highly ambiguous information on the BBC website - they are only playing the Andrew Davis rcording as disc of the week - I wouldn`t give any Andrew Davis performance house room personally but that`s just me.

I am off to see this performed tonight is it.

Schubert & Beethoven last week, Throbbing Gristle the week before, Elgar, Arnold & Holst this week.

DS

advertisement

Back