advertisement

Electrostatics

63s are the best I’ve heard with my amplification, in both large and small rooms. Well, actually, 57s were at the time I had both…but that minuscule sweet spot meant I kept the 63s, music is for sharing :)

I’ve since modified and repaired the 63s considerably - if you buy a pair 2nd hand simply accept you’ll need to re-glue or replace panels at some point - a straightforward but boring and lengthy job. Replace bipolar on input with a film- I used both a film and smaller bipolar to get right value (keep meaning to check if I can now get a small enough film of right value to fit the space now, I did it 10 years or so ago). Remove metal grilles and plastic dust covers, get them waaay up high off the ground so middle of speaker is at ear level, and I also replaced original socks with some super thin red ones…but more for aesthetic reasons :)

I’d still like to hear Tannoy’s some day, but am close to selling my half rebuilt JR149s as I now feel I am destination point for amps/speakers. I’m actually keeping me eyes open for another set of 57s now - I’m fairly sure my 63s are better now…but would be nice to confirm.

And having moved from from a large listening room to a small one, I’d also consider 2905s with similar mods if I can ever afford a larger place :)

Oh, and go review @misterdog posts to see just how far you can go ;)

Richard

For some years I had big Martin Logan summit x in our lounge. They were on Stella stands and dominated the room. They were just incredible with a massive wall of sound

Everyone that came loved them and many were blown away by them . I ran them with a big class ab msb amp

My wife after 4 years gave them the boot sadly , so happy wife is a happy life , they went. My tannoy eatons still give a big sound and image so well. Although I miss the summit x I am more than happy with tannoy

Everyone should try some , my son loved them as they could crush your chest with bass due to the rear knobs that adjust sound , they also had amazing blue led lights. Will post some pics when have time

modw 36.5 and logans by https://www.flickr.com/photos/158267783@N02/, on Flickr

003 by https://www.flickr.com/photos/158267783@N02/, on Flickr

Last edited:
And having moved from from a large listening room to a small one, I’d also consider 2905s with similar mods if I can ever afford a larger place

Trying to make sense of this, Richard. Why consider big 2905s for a smaller room? Ideally you'd need a decent rectangular space for ESLs, and esp. 2905s/2912s

For some years I had big Martin Logan summit x in our lounge.

I remember those pic's! I'm still of a mind that those Summit Xes are the perfect M.L. substitute for my 2905s (notwithstanding that I still love them). I believe they improved on the first Summits by (almost?) perfecting the cohesion between bass and panel.

Trying to make sense of this, Richard. Why consider big 2905s for a smaller room? Ideally you'd need a decent rectangular space for ESLs, and esp. 2905s/2912s

I meant if I could ever afford a larger listening room again :)

Anybody know if the ones in the classified would make a good combo with an Exposure 3010S2D? Currently using Tannoy Precision 6.2 in a 5m by 5m room.

Loved my OTA ESL57s. Just couldn’t quite live with their positioning requirements but wish I’d kept them since they were a properly sorted pair.

I’d love to try 63s. However, the Tannoys are staying.

That being said, I get all the electrostatic love I need from my Mjolnir/Stax head rig…..

That's scary as a Stax rig is on my wish list although I doubt I would ever listen to it enough. You just need to buy my 63's and sell me your Stax for us to have had more or less exactly the same gear :D

Reactions: JTC
I have recently built my system around Stax headphones and have tried about 7 or 8 different ones, and I kept two. The Lambda Pro from 82 and the Lambda Signature from 87.
I now will try the Quad 57's powered by the same amp that powers my Stax, but I will say the Lambda Signature are the best headphones I have ever heard in my life, even beating the 6K dollar Hifiman Susvara and many others.

Extremely picky about amplification and the DAC used, though. And extremely, stupidly fragile. Most are dead nowadays, or have issues. All of which can't be fixed. But I still love mine to bits.

Just thought I'd give my 2 cents.

Stax headphones are quite special. I sold mine in the end, but only because they tended to get used when my family wanted to use the same room for (say) tv, and they are too open for that. Sonically they were astonishing although you do need to use the right amps to get the best out of them - Mjolnir KGSSHV was hugely better than Stax’s own offering - but when you get that right, wow!!!

I’m now sadly ‘stat free for the first time in about seven years :(.

For some years I had big Martin Logan summit x in our lounge. They were on Stella stands and dominated the room. They were just incredible with a massive wall of sound

Everyone that came loved them and many were blown away by them . I ran them with a big class ab msb amp

My wife after 4 years gave them the boot sadly , so happy wife is a happy life , they went. My tannoy eatons still give a big sound and image so well. Although I miss the summit x I am more than happy with tannoy

Everyone should try some , my son loved them as they could crush your chest with bass due to the rear knobs that adjust sound , they also had amazing blue led lights. Will post some pics when have time

modw 36.5 and logans by , on Flickr

Looks fabulous. I have an EAR Yoshino 890 which pumps out apparently up to 70 w, would that be enough? I see in their spec sheet they recommend 20-600W !!

I always loved Quad ELS57’s, the unmollested version without the stupid clamps.

I tried Martin Logan’s, but found that you had to be in a focused sweet spot to get the benefit. If you head was outside that sweet spot, then enjoyment dropped off rapidly. However, this was about 15 years ago. Not tried any of the newer models.

Personally, I use nice Tannoy 12” monitors, they get close enough to the 57’s in sound, but in a much more ‘room convenient’ package.

I always loved Quad ELS57’s, the unmollested version without the stupid clamps.

I tried Martin Logan’s, but found that you had to be in a focused sweet spot to get the benefit. If you head was outside that sweet spot, then enjoyment dropped off rapidly. However, this was about 15 years ago. Not tried any of the newer models.

Personally, I use nice Tannoy 12” monitors, they get close enough to the 57’s in sound, but in a much more ‘room convenient’ package.

yes i use 10" tannoys now in place of summit x , lot smaller but still good and as you say room convenient , and more importantly the mrs is happy . as they say ` a happy wife is a happy life ` :D:D

The Martin Logan 11a are the best speakers I’ve had at home, next upgrade is almost guaranteed to be their 15a. I do listen solo so sweet spot isn’t a problem, moving my head left/right doesn’t seem to make much if any difference. The reviews/opinions I read before demoing the MLs mentioned a noticeable “gap” between the high and low freqs, can't say I’ve ever experienced that in the 3 years I’ve had them, they get played every day. The ones I have use Anthem room correction for the subs which works really well. The Mrs actually pulled the trigger on the MLs, we listened to a varied selection of alternatives before the MLs, only took a couple of tracks and the cheque book was out :)

I read those reviews on ML but i just got a glorious coherant sound which was a massive wall of sound

On a budget,Magnepan for me (making sure they’re not about to delaminate) and for the big high end stuff, big Martin Logan hybrid.
Be aware, the Maggie’s are rather easy to drive but not the Matin Logan, at least the ones I listened too.
Quad in a small room gives good results but not my cup of tea as a rock music fan.

I'm looking for a budget pair of 'used but excellent cond.' Maggies - are the post 2000 models OK in terms of solving the lamination issues do you know - i.e. MG12s? I've been looking to get something similar (or bigger). If not, from what year did they solve this?

I'm looking for a budget pair of 'used but excellent cond.' Maggies - are the post 2000 models OK in terms of solving the lamination issues do you know - i.e. MG12s? I've been looking to get something similar (or bigger). If not, from what year did they solve this?
For the 2000’s and around, they should be fine as they had those delamination problems only in the first few years.

advertisement

Back