advertisement

Electronics question about bistable relays and their control (using a bistable and a low power monostable)

Puggie

pfm Member
Hope someone one here can help, there are enough knowledgeable bods I'm sure someone can.

I'm looking for a circuit (which I used to have but can no longer find a copy of), to switch a bistable relay as if it was a regular monostable, so there is minimal power draw while in the switched state. I used to have a circuit which basically:
When powered the circuit would power the relay coil on briefly to switch the relay on, and charge a fairly chunky capacitor
When power is removed the capacitor is discharged though the relay coil to turn the relay off.
I don't recall if the circuit was for a single or dual coil bi-stable relay, I can find suitable relays either option in the size I require for this.

This gave me effectively a regular monostable relay but the only power consumption when on was feeding a couple of mosfets from memory.

My requirement is to replace a normal 40A, 12V automotive relay, but I need to keep my running power consumption as low as possible, I don't want to be constantly powering a coil when in the on-state. I've found a couple of nice looking Omron 60A relays with 12V coils that should be more than adequate and are available a single or dual coil versions, I just need the supporting circuitry.

Any help graciously received.

^^ Hiya, I think your post would be better served in the DIY portal on pfm.

Tony L (Admin) or most Mods would be happy to flip this topic over to DIY.

;)

advertisement

Back