advertisement

Electrickery!

my running springs elgar does work very well but want to try a real hiend model

Have a new conditioner/filter arriving in a few weeks on home trial
heard they are the superb about £3k will let you know how it sounds

kinda true, but each outlet of that double socket is rated to 13amps. you could not, for instance, plug in into one of the sockets an appliance that drew 26 amps.

"A double socket can deliver 26amps of current if 2x 13amp plugs are connected" is definitely 100% true.

My point is that you can draw 26 amps from a 1x double socket so splitting the load over two extensions could be beneficial.

"A double socket can deliver 26amps of current if 2x 13amp plugs are connected" is definitely 100% true.

My point is that you can draw 26 amps from a 1x double socket so splitting the load over two extensions could be beneficial.

I think we are in violent agreement here. Yes, you can potentially have devices plugged into a double socket whose current draw totals 26 amps, but each outlet should not be loaded to more than 13 A.

In a normal audio system, this is probably an academic argument, since few pieces of equipment would require such a large continuous current, which is what the rating relates to.

Cheers

PhilJ

I think we are in violent agreement here. Yes, you can potentially have devices plugged into a double socket whose current draw totals 26 amps, but each outlet should not be loaded to more than 13 A.

In a normal audio system, this is probably an academic argument, since few pieces of equipment would require such a large continuous current, which is what the rating relates to.

Cheers

PhilJ

Is this an exchange to get our post count up? 99...100. Woo Hoo, tripple figures for me now!

Nobody seems to have mentioned that the thicker the cable and the fewer the connections, the lower the impedance will be. At least in theory. Lower impedance benefits s.q., I'm led to believe.

i have six 10mm2 and two 6mm2 cables hard-wired to my Amstrad stack system and it sounds 'orrible. Where have I gone wrong?

Nobody seems to have mentioned that the thicker the cable and the fewer the connections, the lower the impedance will be. At least in theory. Lower impedance benefits s.q., I'm led to believe.

i have six 10mm2 and two 6mm2 cables hard-wired to my Amstrad stack system and it souns 'orrible. Where have I gone wrong?

A dedicated supply (taken after the main fuse/meter but before the consumer unit) would help I am sure, but I can’t really see why thicker cables / lower impedance would improve SQ. People say it does however...

I have an old fashioned TT electricity supply that uses earth rods so the earth impedance is relatively poor (like 100x worse than the earth impedance required in a TN-C-S new build), but my hifi sound super.

advertisement

Back