advertisement

Electric car grants dropped

There is no need for the grant when current petrol prices have changed the payback economics drastically

So true and Jesus don't EV owners like telling us that...I've caught two parked at petrol pumps the last few weeks when there were parking spaces on the lot (they were just going into the shop).

The problem is that the PTB's response to the fact that a significant percentage of households don't/ won't have access to a charge point is to install more in public places and workplaces which encourages daytime charging. There is absolutely no evidence I'm aware of that there is a cohesive plan to deal with this.

I speak as somebody who has owned an EV for over 4yrs.

Regards

Richard
Of course there is no cohesive plan when we have an incompetent, rudderless government that thinks the free market will solve all problems, leaving it free to indulge in antagonistic, spiteful and entirely useless culture war.

Good. The taxpayer shouldn’t be subsidising people who can afford a £30K car, or any new car for that matter.
Although it may be also sorting the second hand supply for the next 15 years for those who can't. Assuming you have a government that can see past the contents of their noses, that is...

So true and Jesus don't EV owners like telling us that...I've caught two parked at petrol pumps the last few weeks when there were parking spaces on the lot (they were just going into the shop).

Not this one. I find it almost embarrassing how much people are having to pay for fuel vs the charging cost and some folks it has tipped them into genuine hardship. A friends daughter just moved into her first rented flat and had a tight budget planned and the rise in fuel cost have put her into deficit. She is considering moving back home!

Inconsiderate driving/parking is poor behaviour regardless of the car. Parking at a pump is a hard habit to break, I had to pick up some milk in the first month of EV ownership at the local petrol station and initially stopped at a pump before having a "doh!" moment; easily done.

Most of the EVs I see aren't the cheap ones, so was this a massive deal anyway? Who gets it when it is a lease car? Most of the EVs seem overly priced at list whilst offering very competitive monthlies on lease as though to encourage people away from buying them in the first place.

I’d like to try a Dacia Spring when available in the UK (hopefully) it’d be the only electric car I’d be able afford at present.

I don’t mind them dropping the 1500 quid, seems like a hand out to the well off to me.

I am waiting for the used car bubble to burst before I buy a second EV. We were going to buy my wife’s 5 years old i3 from the business leasing company but they were asking silly money and only offered a one year warranty with a max claim of £500. As someone mentioned perhaps a scrappage scheme to move people onto new and used hybrids would be a first step

Most of the EVs I see aren't the cheap ones, so was this a massive deal anyway? Who gets it when it is a lease car? Most of the EVs seem overly priced at list whilst offering very competitive monthlies on lease as though to encourage people away from buying them in the first place.

Manufacturers want to keep their list price high so they can exploit retail customers. There will be a blind discount to the funding bank (who enable the manufacturer to book the revenue on day 1) who will be taking a residual risk position to make the lease ‘attractive’. Time will tell whether they’ve got their numbers right or not…

We've had our Tesla Model 3 SR for 6 months now. Ownership experience has been good so far. No faults, no niggles to speak of. The price of a KWh tends to grate a bit though. Last year at home it was 15p. Now it's 30p. 47p at a Tesla supercharger. Still cheaper than petrol by 50% for the equivalent mpg but it's not what it was. Thankfully the wife can charge for free at the orrifice.

I’d like to try a Dacia Spring when available in the UK (hopefully) it’d be the only electric car I’d be able afford at present.

I don’t mind them dropping the 1500 quid, seems like a hand out to the well off to me.
Won't be coming to the UK from what I hear

Hi Rob., I know speed’s not everything, but have you seen their 0-60?

(Good price if they make it to the UK, seems it’s in the balance whether it’ll be sold here).

Hope you’re alright mate.

I am waiting for the used car bubble to burst before I buy a second EV. We were going to buy my wife’s 5 years old i3 from the business leasing company but they were asking silly money and only offered a one year warranty with a max claim of £500. As someone mentioned perhaps a scrappage scheme to move people onto new and used hybrids would be a first step
Scrappage schemes are scandalous, trashing perfectly good vehicles and exchanging them for all the energy and resources it takes to manufacture a new vehicle. They benefit manufacturers more than the environment.

Scrappage schemes are scandalous, trashing perfectly good vehicles and exchanging them for all the energy and resources it takes to manufacture a new vehicle. They benefit manufacturers more than the environment.

……and the govt through tax and VAT.

How long have these grants been going for anyway...seems like forever

There have been grants for buying the cars and subsidised (sometimes Free) 'fuel' for them. About time the 'Technology' is left to stand on its own two feet if you ask me...

Neither was there the infrastructure to cope with mass ownership of ICE vehicles 100 years ago. The change to EVs will be incremental, the same goes for charging capability.

A bit like my thought. I bet there where no grants from the government when people started trading their dirty horses (basically: they drop down shit on the streets) for 'clean' automobiles. Still, it happened.

How long have these grants been going for anyway...seems like forever

There have been grants for buying the cars and subsidised (sometimes Free) 'fuel' for them. About time the 'Technology' is left to stand on its own two feet if you ask me...

Quite. They are an expensive discretionary purchase at the end of the day. The BIK subsidy (which is effectively what it is) is just a tax bung to wealthy people. If you run a Ltd Co, a new Tesla really is a no brainer. The tax bomb will land once enough retail folk have coughed up to change.

I’m realising this could be about the last chance to own a ‘proper’ car. High fuel costs and a long winter may be a good time for something noisy to do a couple of thousand miles a year in.

I’m realising this could be about the last chance to own a ‘proper’ car. High fuel costs and a long winter may be a good time for something noisy to do a couple of thousand miles a year in.

I couldn't agree more

advertisement

Back