advertisement

Effect of mains extension block?

Have you tried the Heed Orbit into the Extension block?

Yup. The Orbit is plugged into the extension.

This morning I was listening to 'Beside You' on Astral Weeks and it was an utter joy. Before the Orbit was installed the wavering pitch stability played havoc with the intricate acoustic guitar notes.

Yup. The Orbit is plugged into the extension.

This morning I was listening to 'Beside You' on Astral Weeks and it was an utter joy. Before the Orbit was installed the wavering pitch stability played havoc with the intricate acoustic guitar notes.

Cool, so the extension makes no difference (as I would have expected) and the Heed does regardless of where it is plugged in (as I would have expected).

Cool, so the extension makes no difference (as I would have expected) and the Heed does regardless of where it is plugged in (as I would have expected).

As the Orbit's job is to take whatever mains is thrown at it and convert it to a perfectly stable 50Hz AC wave I'm not sure it's that simple. Not that I'm any great expert, but I can hear a stable decaying violin, piano, guitar note and I can hear one that's modulating.

A synchronous motor rotates at 33rpm as long as the mains remains stable at 50Hz. Any fluctuation in that will fluctuate the motor rotation. Not sure what the % fluctuation in mains supply could be. 1%? 0.1%? It seems to be audible whatever.

Not sure what the % fluctuation in mains supply could be. 1%? 0.1%? It seems to be audible whatever.

1%.

[url="http://www2.nationalgrid.com/uk/services/balancing-services/frequency-response/]"National Grid: frequency response"[/url]

- I was roundly mocked by the electricity is electricity, cables is cables types as expected.

I have since bought a Heed Orbit power supply for my turntable and the pitch instability is completely solved.

I'm not a mocker, but an open minded sceptic :)

If you could go to the trouble of blind testing this I'd be genuinely interested if you find it easy to identify the Orbit over your original supply.

I went from vanilla 4 ways to unswitched sockets for all kit.

Made a *huge* difference in sound quality for not a lot. Helped the price having the sparky in for other problems.

He also spotted the earth was barely doing it's job. Another improvement I would not have believed

I went from vanilla 4 ways to unswitched sockets for all kit.

Made a *huge* difference in sound quality for not a lot. Helped the price having the sparky in for other problems.

He also spotted the earth was barely doing it's job. Another improvement I would not have believed

Did you do both improvements at the same time, or separately? Sorting out the earth is definitely a good idea.

Think it was over different days. He was working for quite a while on our weird problem/s and went away for a while each time to puzzle out what was going on, doing straight forward work every now and again for a break !

Yes, it was.
The dedicated sockets came first as I wondered if the 4 ways were what made my system sound bad.
The earth was possibly part of the original problems and the improvement came as a surprise

Just unswitched sockets for each piece of kit - to replace the 1 switched socket and cheap 4 way adaptors
No other work on the circuit undedicated circuit

Agree with that idea, what I have done, TV/Satellite dish go on a small extension (no light, no switch, hifi direct to wall with good screened mains leads (Eupen for me).
Separately I uprated the motor, belt and PSU on my Rega P25.
Each upgrade made a difference to the tt while the mains leads helped reduce interference and improve mains connectivity. What's next.....

advertisement

Back