advertisement

Edinburgh city break suggestions.

One of the best looking cities I've been to, if you enjoy architecture it's worth visiting Roslyn chapel when your in the area. And there's nothing wrong with Glasgow, it's just big, and all big cities have their problems ( there's a similar false reputation between Bristol and Bath near me).

Edinburgh buses are a very good way to get around. £4 day ticket great value. "My Edinburgh Bus" app very useful as already mentioned.
That's very fair. Leeds is £2 a short journey, more on longer ones. The train is cheaper if you are going to the centre from where I live. I'm not sure what a day rover job is.

Absolutely, makes you wonder why they had to waste so much money on a tram system which incidentally will lose £1m a year for eternity.

It's a mystery to us locals as well. The buses were already pretty decent and a tiny fraction of the tram costs being put into buses could have made them fantastic. The trams were a glory project for some in the council that wanted it to happen, no matter what the costs turned out to be.

Bow Bar on Victoria Street for proper pub, avoid the Grassmarket pubs and most of the Royal Mile although the Jolly Judge is a nice snug squeeze.

Restaurant that gets missed constantly is Wedgewood on the Royal Mile just down from St Mary's and Jeffrey Street crossroad. www.wedgwoodtherestaurant.co.uk

If you want a taste of the auld alliance, try Le Marche Francais on West Maitland Street for some cheap, rustic (basic) but usually tasty food. Of course the real reason to visit is for Pierre (the tall skinny Frenchman) who is a long distance runner and may tell you about his Nepal run if you ask nicely!

It's a mystery to us locals as well. The buses were already pretty decent and a tiny fraction of the tram costs being put into buses could have made them fantastic. The trams were a glory project for some in the council that wanted it to happen, no matter what the costs turned out to be.

Well the next stage is coming soon.... Leith Walk is going to be a shambles and Constitution Street will be tram only....oh joy.

If you’re travelling from the south and want to make an occasion of it,I can highly recommend catching the night sleeper. You board the train in London around 9, have a couple of drinks and go to bed, then wake up at around 7 rested and ready to make the most of the day. Not cheap but wonderful.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I’m travelling from Dublin and raised sugar levels mean my enjoyment of the pubs mentioned will be negligible.

However I always like to pick up some CDs in any city I visit, hopefully there are still a few shops left in Edinburgh?

.sjb

Coda just off the Royal Mile and Vinyl Villains just at the top of Leith Walk on Elm Row.

There's an Oxfam(?) music store in Stockbridge that sells stuff at horrific prices for what looked like auspect quality...

Coda just off the Royal Mile and Vinyl Villains just at the top of Leith Walk on Elm Row.

There's an Oxfam(?) music store in Stockbridge that sells stuff at horrific prices for what looked like auspect quality...
spent a few hours at a nice pub in Stockbridge about 3 weeks ago

i forgot another interesting trip.

About half way down the royal mile. near the Law courts/chambers, there is an entrance to an amazing 'other world' .

it is basically part of the old town dating from a time of great poverty, which was built over to allow parts of the present royal Mile to be built. fascinating stuff.

Does this have a name or can you give me a google maps reference please, sound fascinating.

.sjb

Edinburgh Vaults (wiki) is only accessible on a guided tour e.g. Mercat Tours 28 Blair Street, Edinburgh. EH1 1QR 0131 225 5445

Last time I went to Edinburgh, admittedly about 18 months ago, Howies restaurant, close to the Waverly end of Princes St, was excellent. Very good food, and a truly lovely room. Castle Terrace, mentioned upthread, was also superb, with excellent, attentive but discreet, service.

Well we had a great 3 days in Edinburgh. Thanks for all the suggestions. The bus and ticket app was an excellent call.
Arthur’s Seat, Botanic Gardens and National Museum took up the 3 days. Portobello and walks around Dean Village took up the evenings. Luckily the Water of Leith walk to the Botanic Gradens went past Stockbridge!

35972146_10156570443642009_7141516635893923840_o.jpg

Henderson’s supplied us with 2 excellent meals and also I can recommend OTRO near where we were staying.

Probably no worse than Dublin for homelessness and begging but it did seem overwhelming when one spends intensive time in the centre.
For a tourist it’s probably a strange observation but there were just so many tourists. I think we will go back out of season to see more of the old town, I really felt the Royal Mile was too busy and tacky in the height of the season.

Once again thank you PFM for so many excellent suggestions.

.sjb

You can’t go wrong just walking and seeing- it’s a small walkable city. Rothesay terrace is a short stroll from both branches of the Gallery of Modern Art. One tip is to download the Transport for Edinburgh App and the accompanying T for E Tickets App onto a mobile device.
You can then hold an all day bus and tram ticket on your phone or just buy one on a bus. The other app will show you all bus routes and bus positions in real time. It will also tell you how to get anywhere, locating bus stops and the right bus. There are so many buses in Edinburgh, it’s like a conveyor belt.
No invitations to dinner for visiting fishies then?

advertisement

Back