advertisement

Eclipse TD510s - any possibility of 3rd party repair?

daws0n

pfm Member
Morning all

I've just acquired some Eclipse TD510s in good cosmetic condition but non-working. No sound whatsoever (tried 2 amps) and no ohm reading on the terminals. Seems like the voice coils have burnt out which isn't difficult to do considering the low power handling (20 watts).

The drivers are bespoke 120mm full range, and due to the unusual enclosure design / suspension they need to be a perfect fit. I doubt a drop in replacement would work.

TD510MK2_tec20.jpg

Eclipse don't offer any support at all with regards to spares / repair so my only potential avenue is 3rd party. Can anyone recommend a repairer?

Cheers

Dawson

I'm surprised you can't get support from Eclipse. They do have distribution in the UK, AFAIK. What have they said, if anything?

They do a look rather similar Shane now you mention it! I don't think a trip to specsavers is going to do them any good though... :)

Eclipse have closed their support office in Europe although still distribute in the UK via Decent Audio, but they don't hold any spare parts.

Last edited:
I'm surprised you can't get support from Eclipse

Eclipse have closed their support office in Europe

Agree, quite unsympatic company, remind me of other manufacturers selling expensive electronic to throw-away once repair needed, I'm thinking Devialet speakers, early Naim Muso's and probably other Chinese crap.

You can't even get spare speaker covers now.

I've often thought about getting a pair of their flagship TD712s should a pair come up for sale second hand, but the lack of ongoing support at manufacture level is off putting.

It's a shame as their speakers are great for nearfield listening and look stylish aswell.

Driver repair in the UK is limited to foam surround replacement on most models, and cone replacment on some. That's it.

I strongly suspect that voice coil replacment to genuine as-new standard, or close to, would be tricky to find anywhere at all.
If anyone thinks that voice-coil winding is simple, I suggest that they do some reading/research. Even at the simplest level, many designs do not use round wire.

You can’t really work out what needs to be done until you get inside and have a look at the drivers and connections.

I’ve said how I think you can achieve this on one of the other forums you’ve posted the question on!

Thanks for the comments everyone - I've sent emails to both decent audio & wembley loudspeakers, no response so far but hopefully someone can lend a hand...

I'll give it a few more days... If no one replies then there's nothing to loose re: cracking one open for a look. I'll let you know how I get on!

I've split the cabs on one of them today, quite easy to do and not a million miles away internally from the MK3 diagram above.

All wiring looks fine and no impedance reading on the basket terminals eithers, so not an easy job to repair.

I can't quite figure out how the driver itself is bonded to the mass anchor... No amount pulling or twisting is releasing it!

Just spoke to Paul at Wembly Loudspeakers, he doesn't work on drivers this small.

The chances of getting these fixed looks very slim unfortunatley.

Is the break between the solder post and the tinsel wires or do they look good to where the wires go through the spider/cone.

advertisement

Back