advertisement

Ebay's new International shipping programme

Personally, I had my fill of Ebay & paypal long past, useful for buying stuff but their charges make selling stuff a fruitless experience. Gumtree for all it's bad press has proven rather useful:)

Here we go again. After all, it was all about a UK seller shipping to an Italian - better, an Italian from Naples, this Mr Perrini, to be absolutely clear, isn't it? - and nothing else.

Jonathan, do you realize that a number of Italian members of PFM are reading your rant about the 'buyer from Naples'? Are you being offensive on purpose, out of trivial racism, or is it just thoughtlessness?

And when I, for the 1000th time, buy something from a British seller and must, as a matter of fact, trust him to send me the goods after I have paid? I have no right, I suppose, to even suspect that I might be scammed, have I?

Are you specifically malevolent or just ignorant? I wish to know it, for my personal curiosity. And I'd expect a moderator to intervene after such a post, but it seems it's ok to perpetuate the cliché of the Italian thief and the British gentleman.

I find this extremely offensive, and maybe it's time that I leave this forum once and for all.

Massimo Bertola

Good luck with getting the moderators involved. I'm sure you don't need to leave a forum because some people have had bad experiences with your fellow countrymen.

When you've been f**ked over to the tune of hundreds of pounds twice from buyers in the same country you learn to be wary. I find it amusing that Ebay are prepared to take that risk on themselves as they didn't give a shit when I spent 10s of hours of my time trying to get them to realise this was a major problem.

If you're implying I'm racist just because I post sarcastically about being screwed over by 2 of the only 3 Italians I've ever dealt with via Ebay I really really don't care. You don't know me and it just makes you look silly.

I've since refused to sell anything on Ebay and instead now always use PFM. In fact I've more or less given away two items here for half what they'd have got on Ebay to save me the hassle. If an Italian PFM regular had asked me to ship I'd have had no problems at all. Test me. I'll PM you next time I'm selling anything!

It's a shame if you're offended by my comments. I was just speaking from very very bitter experience.

Best wishes,

Jonathan

As a consequence I believe they may be opening Pandora's box by offering this revolutionary new service. UK sellers will be covered by the fact the item has been logged as passing through EBay's Shipping Centre and they will then be responsible when Mr Perrini decides his new piece of hifi hasn't arrived in Naples and wants his money back.

Surely if the overseas buyer decides he didn't receive it, or "it arrived broken", eBay will still claw back the Paypal payment from the original seller ?

Here we go again. After all, it was all about a UK seller shipping to an Italian - better, an Italian from Naples, this Mr Perrini, to be absolutely clear, isn't it? - and nothing else.

Jonathan, do you realize that a number of Italian members of PFM are reading your rant about the 'buyer from Naples'? Are you being offensive on purpose, out of trivial racism, or is it just thoughtlessness?

Massimo Bertola

Sorry me old flower but,no end of listings on ebay clearly state that they won't ship to Italy at all ( or Russia btw so don't feel picked on ) The only inference one can draw from that is that Italy 'has form' as we say.

I find the OP's remarks regarding Mr Perrini in Naples borderline racist and fully distasteful...
I am Italian and the only time in my life I have been robbed was in Oxford Street, London. This misadventure surely doesn't imply that one should expect to be robbed by Mr Cockney as soon as he sets foot in London does it?

I find the OP's remarks regarding Mr Perrini in Naples borderline racist and fully distasteful...
I am Italian and the only time in my life I have been robbed was in Oxford Street, London. This misadventure surely doesn't imply that one should expect to be robbed by Mr Cockney as soon as he sets foot in London does it?

What a strange post.

I'm afraid if you call me racist one more time I'll be asking the moderators to block you myself.

I've been done over on EBay twice in 225 transactions. Both were by Italians buying hifi and then claiming not to have received it ages later. I'll decide whether I sell to people in Italy on EBay again based on my experience. I've already said I'd happily sell to an established Italian PFMer as I consider that a very different transaction risk. Ie no risk at all.

My reference to an example transaction from my experience in my original post (you're lucky I changed the name and location to be honest) does not to me constitute racism. If it does to you I can only express how sorry I am for you.

Calm down and leave me alone. That's my last word on the matter. I don't expect you to respond.

Thank you.

Jonathan

Personally, I had my fill of Ebay & paypal long past, useful for buying stuff but their charges make selling stuff a fruitless experience. Gumtree for all it's bad press has proven rather useful:)

Isn't Gumtree owned by eBay?

What a strange post.

I'm afraid if you call me racist one more time I'll be asking the moderators to block you myself.

I've been done over on EBay twice in 225 transactions. Both were by Italians buying hifi and then claiming not to have received it ages later. I'll decide whether I sell to people in Italy on EBay again based on my experience. I've already said I'd happily sell to an established Italian PFMer as I consider that a very different transaction risk. Ie no risk at all.

My reference to an example transaction from my experience in my original post (you're lucky I changed the name and location to be honest) does not to me constitute racism. If it does to you I can only express how sorry I am for you.

Calm down and leave me alone. That's my last word on the matter. I don't expect you to respond.

Thank you.

Jonathan

I wish to make it quite clear that I never called you racist, I said that your remark regarding a generic stereotypical italian scammer from Naples was borderline racist - as I believe quite clearly any such generalization is - and, to me, fully distasteful. Feel free to report me.

I'm sorry for your specific misadventures, but one thing is to say "I've had several bad experiences I will not run the risk again" and a completely different thing is to make broad generalizations and superficial statements using offensive stereotypes.

I'm at a loss to understand how I should count myself lucky you changed the name and location of your offenders, I believe transparency in such cases could be far more helpful.

"That's my last word on the matter. I don't expect you to respond."

Regards,
Alessio

I state "UK ONLY SALE; NO INTERNATIONAL POSTAGE" on my listings but constantly get idiots overseas bidding and winning. The last one was Dutch and asked if I could post to France or Germany and only provided an incomplete London address with no number or street. The item just ends up suspended from sale until or if the stupid buyer cancels the transaction, then off we go again!
I am not racist I would just like to sell stuff with less hassle.

I don't sell much on ebay these days due to the fees. I also opted out as when I have used it for selling, I can get my buy it now price within this country which takes much of the risk out of it.

I would just like to say that I'm Italian and the only time I had trouble with an Ebay buyer was when shipping an item to Italy. He claimed it arrived damaged and refused to send pictures. Was abusive and irrational. Eventually decided in my favour when he wouldn't send pictures to ebay either.

I no longer ship to Italy as a result :(

Where do you sell your stuff then? My basic problem with Ebay is not being able to restrict the access to UK only. I am not anti international but so often bidders from abroad seem to be impossible to deal with. I've specified NO INTERNATIONAL POSTAGE, UK PAYPAL ONLY and ticked the boxes but still I get impossible buyers with fictitious addresses. Nor do I wish to be responsible for international returns.

To be fair I have had UK people make offers and then never pay. Its all becoming quite tedious. I just have stuff I can't sell sitting around waiting to be released for relisting. Then the farce starts again.:mad:

..........and this all means that we thank Tony for allowing us to sell in the classified section of his website for no charge.

Thanks Tony ;)

Got same email and deleted it, have sold abroad successfuly via ebay, however easier to communicate and deal within the UK. Under ebay rules sellers have little comeback from buyers who abuse the system (I have had that experience) and in remote locations I fear it would be more difficult. I prefer to buy and sell locally within Britain where communication and delivery is also less risky- avoiding the ever increasing fees from certain sites :).

advertisement

Back